Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not how the post reads. Current has nothing to do with settled cell voltages.

For example, no-charging/discharging 80% on the dash in my car and my wife's is 3.95V +/- 0.02V. But, for example. during supercharger the cell voltages read at 3.95V when the pack is at ~55% SoC.

5% on my P85D dash is 3.37V. A recent supercharge to 98% left my cells at 4.15V after a few minutes, with during charging voltages at 4.2V.

90% I don't seem to have in the notes I have handy (I'm not at home) but it was around 4.05V.
Here are my notes from the UI on a 0-100 supercharge. Cell voltage and Amp calculate by dividing by 96 and 74

1375f3dfcf8c9edb934ee527f44ccb9b.jpg
5348008e1fcec4a728c333912428a456.jpg
ad2181595fffcd5079e3725e60678ef2.jpg
b1ada50d0e1c742ae08ea5a38d600029.jpg
ecdf4e5d6457f48c567a4ab9a4478315.jpg

As said in my first post in this thread, I haven't been able to check any data on 90's just yet. Soon I think, but not yet.

But the P90D is rated at 270 miles, and P85D at 253 miles, which points to about 82 kWh usable from an 86 kWh pack.

Showing my work:
81 kWh real capacity - 4 kWh protection = 77kWh usable ("85")
77000 Wh / 253 miles = 304.35 Wh/mi.
304.35 * 270 = 82.17 kWh
82.17 + 4 = 86.17 kWh real 90 pack capacity

But, if it were in fact 90 kWh with 86 kWh usable, that'd be ~282 miles of rated range for the P90D. So either the 90 pack is over specified or the P90D is ~5% less efficient than the P85D... which uses the same motors... and same inverter... and same everything else. Seems overstated is more likely.

This is just speculation based on some pretty reasonable assumptions... so I can't say definitely yes or no to it being wrong until I get some real data.

The highest I've ever seen was 267 miles. And the rated consumption is closer to something like 312 Wh/mi, not that I've ever achieved anything close to it, my actual lifetime usage is 50% higher. Does this disagree with a P85D?

Wow, what a thread. Jason has way too much time on his hands. Good for him. I have way more important things to worry about in life than a marketing claim that has no effect whatsoever on the intended use of the product. As others have already stated numerous times in this thread, the important numbers for 99.99% of Tesla consumers is range, range, range. (And safety of course). It is utter nonsense to suggest that Tesla has some sinister motive for badging the Model S 85Kw vs. 81Kw.

I have no reason to doubt Jason's numbers are close to accurate, but are they 100% accurate, of course not because they were not replicated under the exact same conditions as Tesla and/or Panasonic. Does it matter, of course not. It is marketing pure and simple.

To those of you that get sooooo upset and claim Tesla somehow owes you a refund, get a life. Many people have tried to inject reasonable opinions in this thread, but reasonableness is not easy to find these days. This is marketing pure and simple. Now, if they misrepresented the range achieved under EPA testing methods, then one would have an issue. If they misrepresented safety ratings, then one would have an issue. I have had consultations with clients that want to sue a person, a group, or a company because they have been "wronged". One of the initial questions is "ok, what are your damages?.....Well they lied to me. Ok, what are your damages?......Well they were wrong......Ok, what are your damages?, etc., etc.,"

If any measurement claims are to be taken seriously and given credibility, then some measurement method validation process needs to be followed. Publishing something on an internet forum simply lacks this validation process.

The usual way of separating weed from the chaff is to get the results submitted to a peer review and get it published. Perhaps the subject of this thread falls far below the threshold of any journal publication and peer review.

Then some other sort of validation process is required before anyone can make any credible claims. Just saying 'I have done such and such on my measurement jig on my car/garage and gotten these results' is an interesting fun topic for discussion, but it is no more than that. It is unsubstantiated to claim to be more than that.

It is unsubstantiated to make claims about Tesla battery pack capacity or anything else just by doing few measurements, but it certainly draws traffic to this thread.

Last edited:
Can any one explained this ? ( I dont require the answer to be verified by peer review )
The picture shows the "Energy/Trip" -line on the GUI. I switched Range Mode on and off.
It looks like I gain some extra capacity in Range Mode... ie it jumps between different percentages instead of charging the tilt of the line as is it would have done if the constant for Typical or Rated had been changed.
Is it possible that by using Rang Mode you reduce the bricking protection from 4% to 3 % ?

d0934fc1514b881c4a36f9a9133290e2.jpg

Can any one explained this ? ( I dont require the answer to be verified by peer review )

You just confirmed the validity of peer review process by asking peers on this forum to answer your question

Nothing wrong with that, quite the opposite

If anyone wishes to publish their work and make some sort of claims, even if that is only on the internet, then peer review is simply a quality control process.

...The usual way of separating weed from the chaff is to get...

Everybody separates their weed differently, but its always better to remove seeds and stems...

As far as your peer review and procedures comment, it is reductio ad absurdum--if nobody can post results and findings without being peer-reviewed first, then nothing will ever be discovered.

Other folks have measured cell capacity and posted on this and other internet forums with exactly the same results within significant figures. The methods and procedures for testing and making voltage and current measurements are well known and commonly established and practiced by those skilled in the art.

Last edited:
If they misrepresented safety ratings, then one would have an issue.

Well strictly speaking the UK launch cars (and any EU car sold in 2014) should have a * against the EuroNCAP tests. Without "Emergency Braking Assist" they are not 5 star cars.

My view is this is why AP hardware was rushed out well before the AP software was ready. It was needed to get top marks in the European safety rating system ;)

Well strictly speaking the UK launch cars (and any EU car sold in 2014) should have a * against the EuroNCAP tests. Without "Emergency Braking Assist" they are not 5 star cars.

My view is this is why AP hardware was rushed out well before the AP software was ready. It was needed to get top marks in the European safety rating system ;)

Or (from a more positive perspective) the hardware was already built in cars, when they knew what hardware they needed, to (later on) also provide the AP features to buyers in 2014.

Or (from a more positive perspective) the hardware was already built in cars, when they knew what hardware they needed, to (later on) also provide the AP features to buyers in 2014.

If you were in the first batch of buyers having waited years for a car with a big deposit down, only to have it almost immediately outdated and residuals reduced by Tesla's own valuation formula, such a positive spin is hard to swallow ;)

I get why they did it, they set the goal of 5 stars both sides of the pond, which is a rare achievement. The timing sucked for the early UK adopters though, and not all were particularly pleased with the approach.

If any measurement claims are to be taken seriously and given credibility, then some measurement method validation process needs to be followed. Publishing something on an internet forum simply lacks this validation process.

The usual way of separating weed from the chaff is to get the results submitted to a peer review and get it published. Perhaps the subject of this thread falls far below the threshold of any journal publication and peer review.

Then some other sort of validation process is required before anyone can make any credible claims. Just saying 'I have done such and such on my measurement jig on my car/garage and gotten these results' is an interesting fun topic for discussion, but it is no more than that. It is unsubstantiated to claim to be more than that.

It is unsubstantiated to make claims about Tesla battery pack capacity or anything else just by doing few measurements, but it certainly draws traffic to this thread.

Auzie

How large part is TSLA of your stock portifolio?

Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Other folks have measured cell capacity and posted on this and other internet forums with exactly the same results within significant figures. The methods and procedures for testing and making voltage and current measurements are well known and commonly established and practiced by those skilled in the art.
AFAIK, there is only one other person who measured cell capacity and they did it with a 10A high power discharge (they weren't trying to get true capacity, but rather doing a power test). Someone linked it up thread, but I am a bit lazy to dig it out.

To be fair to wk057, he has offered to do a data dump (which is what peer review would involve), but his hands are tied because he is using some special equipment that he can't readily release data from for commercial reasons (for the same reason he can't disclose the details of the equipment he used).

If anyone is willing to send me a single cell, I have a special charging station that will discharge, measure, and then recharge, measure, the capacity of 18650 cells. I use it when rebuilding packs for e-bikes, laptops, scooters etc...

It would be awesome if I could keep the cell too ;-) but I will return it if requested. PM me if you are interested.

If anyone is willing to send me a single cell, I have a special charging station that will discharge, measure, and then recharge, measure, the capacity of 18650 cells. I use it when rebuilding packs for e-bikes, laptops, scooters etc...

It would be awesome if I could keep the cell too ;-) but I will return it if requested. PM me if you are interested.

I have some still mostly untouched cells (only to free them from their module and bring them to a good storage SoC) that I've had stored in my solar equipment room at 64F for a while. They're all from a D pack that had ~3k miles or so. I could send you a couple if you want to try them out on your charger (PM me an address). However, I probably have something similar (I have two of these: Amazon.com: FMA PowerLab 8 v2: Toys Games ), but I found they always register a lower capacity reading than my other equipment anyway. You'll also need a safe way to hook up to them with low resistance (the cheap 18650 holders will not do) to get a good reading safely. These cells have no protective wrap, so the +/- terminals are very close together at the positive cap side and are easily shorted out when putting them into cheap holders. And don't try soldering to them either. They explode. :p

I don't need them back, but I don't have very many left either, so, can't send them to everyone. :(

Last edited:

It is unsubstantiated to claim to be more than that......

Doesn't that cut both ways, as most of the claims by Tesla themselves are little more than this.

In fact, the teardown and subsequent CAN hacking provide a good indication that consumers are in fact peer reviewing Tesla's own published "findings". So far finding them lacking, and still without rebuttal.