Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's liability for promising FSD later this year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know how many people actually paid for the How kany people said, "Here! Take my $6000 for something that may work in the future."? Out of all those that paid how many would actually want a refund? It would seem that most people, at least on the forum, know about Elon time and that when he said the end of the year, he didn't say what year.

Does anybody know how many people actually paid for the How kany people said, "Here! Take my $6000 for something that may work in the future."? Out of all those that paid how many would actually want a refund? It would seem that most people, at least on the forum, know about Elon time and that when he said the end of the year, he didn't say what year.

I paid, knowing full well.... I don’t want a refund. See post #4 for details.

No one’s hardcore defending Tesla here lmao we just have common sense. A company that continuously delays or misses “projected dates” is expected for them to miss another deadline. No one would be surprised. Either you didn’t do your homework when purchasing a Tesla or, like i said, are expecting a handout.

You don’t have to continuously repeat you love Tesla that’s irrelevant no one is saying you’re a troll/hater. FSD is a promise, most will say won’t be achievable this year. Most people with common sense bought FSD for the current features it provides, the one’s that didn’t see enough value is waiting for more features to be released.

Um I never said I wanted a refund or handout. In fact the opposite. I wouldn't take it if offered because I like the features that the 6k provides. However I believe other people will and rightfully so, ask for a refund if Tesla doesn't deliver.

The whole point of this thread was to get some opinions on how Tesla will be legally held responsible for making these promises. I'm an investor and owner so calm down.

Doing homework on a car makes 0 difference whether or not Tesla is promising a feature that most likely will either not be out by end of year or possibly ever.

3 scenarios are possibly in my mind.

1) Tesla is still confident in FSD within 6 months
2) They know it won't be done but there is legal precedent where they can make false promises/advertising
3) Elon is forcing the time line even though it isn't feasible and the company will suffer accordingly.

Which do you think it is?

Um I never said I wanted a refund or handout. In fact the opposite. I wouldn't take it if offered because I like the features that the 6k provides. However I believe other people will and rightfully so, ask for a refund if Tesla doesn't deliver.

The whole point of this thread was to get some opinions on how Tesla will be legally held responsible for making these promises. I'm an investor and owner so calm down.

Doing homework on a car makes 0 difference whether or not Tesla is promising a feature that most likely will either not be out by end of year or possibly ever.

3 scenarios are possibly in my mind.

1) Tesla is still confident in FSD within 6 months
2) They know it won't be done but there is legal precedent where they can make false promises/advertising
3) Elon is forcing the time line even though it isn't feasible and the company will suffer accordingly.

Which do you think it is?

I heard a lot of the autopilot team quit, citing #3. Read that in an article earlier this week.

• Informative
Reactions: A321ELAC
AFIk Tesla have already been forced to give a partial refund to early buyers?

The timefame has always been unspecified but I suspect many are misinterpreting what feature complete (by eoy) means.

But given the issues with the advanced summon and dev team who knows when..

• Informative
Reactions: focher
This thread is nonsense. Read the bolded sentence below. If any expected feature is not enabled by the end of this year it will be because reliability is not far in excess of a human driver. When it is you will get an update.

Read this and your opinion does not matter....

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

This thread is nonsense. Read the bolded sentence below. If any expected feature is not enabled by the end of this year it will be because reliability is not far in excess of a human driver. When it is you will get an update.

Read this and your opinion does not matter....

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

Yep, and you'll start walking down a slippery slope. Think of the features you're getting weekly, no other cars have that(updates), especially free.

Reactions: StellarRat
If you purchased when the options where EAP was an option and then FSD on top of that, you got value added out of your EAP and did not pay $6k for FSD. (Correct me if i am wrong)

If you bought recently with basic AP included and FSD a $6k option you got the EAP benefits for your purchase if nothing else so cannot claim they did not deliver a benefit for your money.

The way the current website is worded a customer would be a fool to put a firm timeline on the full self drive capabilities.
How it was worded in 2018 I don’t know but it also priced differently (broken down differently)

AP2 delays caused a class action lawsuit, especially considering that on a 4 year lease, it was almost 3 years after they released this feature. The lawyers won. The owners got somewhere between $20-$280 in compensation. And you know how class action lawsuit compensation works right? The lawyers send a US Mail letter to those registered in the law suit, then you have to fill a form to get your $20.

So if you registered, and you didn't discard that letter as junk mail (because that is how it looks like), and you trusted this as legit, and provided your real info, .. eventually .. you'd get a check for $20... and that is _if_ someone bothers to file a class action lawsuit. I know in the S and X forums, there was a lot of debate and discussion before such a lawsuit was filed.

Read more here - Tesla agrees to settle class action over Autopilot billed as 'safer' - Reuters ... quote -->

"Under the proposed agreement, class members, who paid to get the Autopilot upgrade between 2016 and 2017, will receive between $20 and $280 in compensation. Tesla has agreed to place more than $5 million into a settlement fund, which will also cover attorney fees."

TL;DR; .. you paid for FSD, that's an interest free loan with no maturity you've given to Tesla. That's about it.

AP2 delays caused a class action lawsuit, especially considering that on a 4 year lease, it was almost 3 years after they released this feature. The lawyers won. The owners got somewhere between $20-$280 in compensation. And you know how class action lawsuit compensation works right? The lawyers send a US Mail letter to those registered in the law suit, then you have to fill a form to get your $20.

So if you registered, and you didn't discard that letter as junk mail (because that is how it looks like), and you trusted this as legit, and provided your real info, .. eventually .. you'd get a check for $20... and that is _if_ someone bothers to file a class action lawsuit. I know in the S and X forums, there was a lot of debate and discussion before such a lawsuit was filed.

Read more here - Tesla agrees to settle class action over Autopilot billed as 'safer' - Reuters ... quote -->

"Under the proposed agreement, class members, who paid to get the Autopilot upgrade between 2016 and 2017, will receive between $20 and $280 in compensation. Tesla has agreed to place more than $5 million into a settlement fund, which will also cover attorney fees."

TL;DR; .. you paid for FSD, that's an interest free loan with no maturity you've given to Tesla. That's about it.

You forgot to say that most of the money put aside went to the lawyer's who filed the suit on behalf of the owners! :eek:

You forgot to say that most of the money put aside went to the lawyer's who filed the suit on behalf of the owners! :eek:

I didn't say that because that is not what happened, at least not here. 17.7% of the fees went to attorneys which .. in a class action lawsuit is, pretty good. Although, I do agree with your general point, in class action lawsuits, Tesla loses, owner's lose, attorneys win. Here is a breakdown of costs - http://www.autopilotsettlement.com/media/1621242/motion_for_fees___costs.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
I didn't say that because that is not what happened, at least not here. 17.7% of the fees went to attorneys which .. in a class action lawsuit is, pretty good. Although, I do agree with your general point, in class action lawsuits, Tesla loses, owner's lose, attorneys win. Here is a breakdown of costs - http://www.autopilotsettlement.com/media/1621242/motion_for_fees___costs.pdf

Oh, wow... never would have guessed that. Thanks for correcting my misstatement!

• Love
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
There will not be limited location release of FSD features except perhaps by country. Tesla's AP and EAP features are not location dependent as many other autonomous aspirants are. They work anywhere the cars sensors have enough information. You will be able to use all the FSD features so long as there is an engaged driver. Autonomous operation will be by legal jurisdictions.