Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's new Strategy?!?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still wish they would clarify what is considered "damage" to the battery versus normal degradation.

+1! I wish there was a defined degradation percentage that would be covered under warranty. If they could say something like "Guaranteed to have at least 75% of your original range after 8 years" that would go a long way towards generating sales, alleviating long-term "range anxiety."

Love the ease of trading in for the latest and greatest. Lets say 2 years from now when the 500 mile Ultra Performance model comes out then I can take it as a loaner try it and keep it and only pay the difference. The question will be what Tesla will pay for my car.

The other item is that it establishes a market for certified used MS's very quickly. The used car market will be important. This will create more affordable MS's more quickly.

Well now I have no idea whether prepaying for the service plan is a good idea or not. I really really wish they would give some more concrete details on what they plan to do at those visits, especially now that they are not required. Convince me to give you my money, Tesla!

The ranger plan is for them to come look at your car for things other than the annual service.

In today's blog Elon makes no mention that this free valet loaner drop-off and pick-up is only intended for annual service visits.

He says "if your car needs service".

Hence my query about a relative loss of value of the ranger program.

Yes, the work may not be done at my home, but if I do not have to drive to the service center and I have another Tesla I can use while it is being done, why would I bother with rangers (again, unless you happen to live very far away from a service center)?

Well now I have no idea whether prepaying for the service plan is a good idea or not. I really really wish they would give some more concrete details on what they plan to do at those visits, especially now that they are not required. Convince me to give you my money, Tesla!

I agree, but - if the service department's goal is 0% profit, that would imply that the service plans are a good deal for the customer, at least on the surface.

"Trading" your car for the loaner isn't going to be as simple as Elon thinks... Here are the issues:

Registration: you need to notify your insurance company you "traded" your car, my new VIN is xxxxxxxx (and expect to pay more as well)
Sales Tax: you will be required to pay sales tax on the difference on your trade
Excise Tax: now that you have that nice shiny new car, you can expect a nice new excise tax bill as well. Of course you should file for an abatement on what you've paid this year, most towns will "prorate" your rebate based on how many months of the year you have used.
Titles: you will be required to supply Tesla with the title to your existing Model S, that will be interesting if you have financed it...

They sound like they will also value your trade the same way they value the loaner cars: %1 per month and $1 mile, so subtract that from your original purchase price to see what you'd get on your trade.

Last edited: