Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's "solar roof" Event - Hosted at Universal Studios

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to say those shingles look fantastic. My house is now 18 years old so my roof is coming due for a replacement within a few years.

Always wanted panels but SolarCity doesn't serve VA. If the price projection truly is competetive (and not just in the expensive California energy market), then I think I'll have a solar roof and 2 Powerwalls within 2 years...

And more! Information on solar roof with closeups of the tiles at Tesla Solar

And found a link to the unveil video (skip to 46:15): Unveil on Livestream. Unfortunately, it's not available in 1080p like the live unveil was; in 1080p, everything looked perfect. I'm not sure why they even have any resolution besides 1080p for a video like this about art. Must be Tesla is outstripping the capability of the average Internet media content provider to serve. (Most TV internet sites have to pay big bucks to get good HD bandwidth to their customers.)

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_2487.JPG
    IMG_2487.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2487.JPG
    IMG_2487.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 65
I'd like to hear what Jason and others that inhabit the energy section of the forum think. NWdriver WK etc. Don't be shy guys.

To me the interesting thing is the PW2 and the PP2. PW2 more than doubled capacity and adds an inverter. If that is the case...I think the basic $/unit of energy stored just dropped by half. PP2 is what I'd really like, with that I am off grid. Sigh. Close on the farm in December and I have no idea if I am going off grid or not ..

One thing I have never understood about putting solar on your roof is don't you want to shade your south side with deciduous trees to not heat up your house in the summer increasing the load on your air conditioner? To keep my trees I chose a ground mount system which is larger than what I need for my house alone, but not large enough for my house and Tesla. So the really nice looking panels are less useful, but maybe one or two of those power walls would serve nicely to add more ground mount solar, provide backup, while not needing any more inverters.

I love everything I saw and don't doubt any of it. But in addition to the questions others have posted, I think:
1) They missed an opportunity to highlight the Tesla/Solar City combination. This is clearly the result of them working together. I'm not even sure how this can be done without Solar City so I'm actually surprised to see an option to order before the merger has been approved.
2) I don't think (unless I missed it) that I actually heard the words "all of these houses are running on solar/batteries right now". They did that at the first TE event and it was a "wow" moment and really enforced that this was real, working, and available right now.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D