TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla's trump card: Sterling Anderson Director of Autopilot

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Electrifying, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Electrifying

Electrifying Member

Watch .

Especially near 6:20. This guy worked at MIT on autonomous driving for 10 years and had worked at Tesla as Director of Model X program and he is now Director of Autopilot. From what I can tell this guy is a genius and he's the reason behind Elon's prediction that complete autonomous driving will be realized in two years.

Listened to his Ted talk about Delaunay triangulation and corridor theory but still not very sure how the tech behind it works. Would love to hear more about this technology from you guys.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. SBenson

SBenson Active Member

Very impressive and informative. Gave a lot more detail to the end goal vision they are aiming for than Musk's vaugue remarks on the topic.

3. Vitold

Vitold Member

He's talk reminded me about Toyota announcement earlier this year:

Toyota wants autonomous 'guardian angel' to help drivers

• Love x 1
  4. MitchJi

MitchJi Active Member

Thanks electrifying and Vitolo. Interesting and useful!

5. 3Victoria

3Victoria Member

Thanks for that video. I think that when I drive, as he describes: I am constantly imagining a safe 'tunnel' of possible routings into the predicted future, and assessing possible intrusions into that space by other vehicles, pedestrians etc.

The Delaunay triangulation looks like a standardized and mathematically malleable method to overlay a triangular-mapping onto a plain.

His insight that each triangle can be characterized as a no-go, a pass-through, or a decision-point is very clever as the 'tunnel' essentially falls out. The projection of possible paths confined to the 'tunnel' determined by the car-model informs the decision-making.

Obviously, the devil is in the details, but the path forward (pun intended) is pretty clear. This gives me more confidence that Tesla will move forward quite rapidly with AP2, 3, ...

• Love x 1
  6. dakh

dakh Member

Ok so if I'm reading this right what is really going on here is they've created a reality with this tunnel idea that narrow AI can be trained to reason against. I'm not a big expert on this stuff but it does make sense to me, narrow AI has to be given some fairly specific constraints where it can be effective and this model would align AI operation with desired decision making outcomes.

7. Intl Professor

#7 Intl Professor, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    LOL when I watched a recent episode of Person of Interest, a TV series pitching one bad AI machine against another good one. The founder of the good one has a Tesla summoned for him which then drives itself to a destination--scenes of the moving car with a wheel correcting for turns, etc. Brief but spectacular promotion of Tesla's autopilot!

• Like x 2
  8. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

Thanks for posting this video. I appreciated his vision of an autonomous and shared car future. It's toward the end of the talk at 15min 27secs.

9. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

I like the idea of a helper, but hate the idea of not having my own car. I have "my stuff" in my car...tools, coins, Kleenex, phone charger, glass breakers...you know - "my stuff". Getting into a roving car is like getting into a taxi. Dirty seat, food on the floor, torn upholstery driver with bad mood and oder. The whole taxi environment is not something I aspire to. Getting on an airplane - with others that are not very nice neighbors (lay seat back, eat smelly food, bring pets, leave trash....) I do this, but the experience is not nice. I treasure my personal space in my car.
    So - his next problem is convincing old farts like me to give up on treasured positions. Nice as it sounds, is does not sound nice.

• Like x 1
  10. yesla

yesla Member

#10 yesla, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    I think the biggest problem with the approach to auto pilot is that people are trying to explain it.

Why?

People just want to be tricked. not know how its done. cuz... at best, revealing the trick is lame. At the worst, forcing people to accept magic will cause fear and anxiety.

• Like x 1