Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @Duxa. I don't think that's the case. See my tweet here.

VINs are definitely non sequntial. However blocks of them are sequential. Like pre 9xxx VINs were all pre shut down. Currently its somewhere in 15xxx to 19xxx block etc. So you can generally guesstimate a window of a month or two when the car was manufactured. You dont see 001xx VINs rolling off the line right now, nor 01xxx VINs... nor anything lower than 12xxx (generally).

My theory is that if someone gets a car right now that is 9xxx or lower VIN, then its a car put together pre-shut down. Then rejected for one reason or another (like damage during transport), a few people posted about body damage/cracked roof etc... those things take a bit of time to fix. They go back to factory for rework (same thing that other manufacturers would do after catching bad cars coming off the line, but Tesla lets the customer do that part of QA). Then car gets back to Fremont, fixed up, the car was never delivered, so its brand new. It went through the line again (heck they may dissasemble it and reassemble with all same parts + a few fixed pieces), then slap a new sticker on it for manufacture date. Because for all intents and purposes they just built it again. VIN stays the same, since that is hard locked into a lot of hte components (often rivited/stamped on them) so you cant change it.

Maybe its my paranoia, but personally, if my VIN is more than 6k lower than currently going VINs id assume its a refused car (now, there is a good chance it was completely reworked and reasons it was refused are gone and its as good as any). 6k buffer allows ~1 month variation in manufacture date. This will get trickier once they start shipping overseas, as the transport process can take months. But right now, being in So Cal. I got a text to expect delivery in 5 days. I dont even have a VIN yet.. so there is a chance it hasnt been manufactured yet. From factory to customer time right now is less than 1 week. Which gives about 3k variation in VIN.

Last edited:
Reactions: rxlawdude
Boy, you all are reaching on trying to figure out your tesla information. BUILD_TAG almost definitely means the "build" date of the code for the website. You "tag" builds for deployment and all of us are seeing the same build tag date. RC generally stands for "release candidate" a very common software development term. It totally looks like a developer comment as well:

<!-- LB.27 -->

<!-- www.tesla.com -->

<!-- [BUILD_TAG_rc_202006181936_rel_r_202006_3_alpha.r1] -->
<!-- You are viewing the D7 website. :boom: -->

Reactions: Microfrost
Boy, you all are reaching on trying to figure out your tesla information. BUILD_TAG almost definitely means the "build" date of the code for the website. You "tag" builds for deployment and all of us are seeing the same build tag date. RC generally stands for "release candidate" a very common software development term. It totally looks like a developer comment as well:

<!-- LB.27 -->

<!-- www.tesla.com -->

<!-- [BUILD_TAG_rc_202006181936_rel_r_202006_3_alpha.r1] -->
Mine reads like this now

<!-- LB.36 -->

<!-- www.tesla.com -->

<!-- [BUILD_TAG_rc_202006222112_rel_O2D-7234-validationn-for-delivery-acceptance.r1] -->

Yesterday it was showing 20200618 as the date, and the alpha at the end instead of "validationn-for-delivery-acceptance", which sounds promising but who knows?...

Mine reads like this now

<!-- LB.36 -->

<!-- www.tesla.com -->

<!-- [BUILD_TAG_rc_202006222112_rel_O2D-7234-validationn-for-delivery-acceptance.r1] -->

Yesterday it was showing 20200618 as the date, and the alpha at the end instead of "validationn-for-delivery-acceptance", which sounds promising but who knows?...

yup, same, so that solidifies it. Thats just timestamp on the website build version. nothing to do with the cars

Reactions: geraldineinsf
Abandoned entries are now removed from the 'All Entries' tab. Those are entries that were last updated more than 91 days ago. If your entry is gone, open the form again and click submit. This will refresh the last update date and your entry should reappear.

Also, I made the VINs column sortable. Unknown digits are replaced with 5. For example, 16,7xx becomes 16,755.

Abandoned entries are now removed from the 'All Entries' tab. Those are entries that were last updated more than 91 days ago. If your entry is gone, open the form again and click submit. This will refresh the last update date and your entry should reappear.
I think this may have skewed the numbers to over report percentages. Some people literally haven't received an update in 91 days. For example, I ordered in October and still do not have a VIN. There are also some that ordered on day zero and don't have a VIN.

Of course, before this change, the numbers were probably under reported due to actual abandoned entries.

OK, I added this text:

Entries last updated more than 91 days ago are not shown. If you can't find your entry, open the form again and click submit. This will refresh the last update date and your entry will reappear.

Reactions: S0XY
I added a few post-delivery questions:

Vehicle condition & delivery experience:
  • Panel gaps
  • Interior fit and finish
  • Paint and exterior surfaces
  • Communication prior to delivery
  • Delivery experience
Ownership experience during the first 30 days:
  • Number of defects that needed fixing
  • Number of service center or mobile service visits
  • Number of days Tesla kept the car for repairs
Have you refused delivery or returned the car?

I added a few post-delivery questions:

Vehicle condition & delivery experience:
  • Panel gaps
  • Interior fit and finish
  • Paint and exterior surfaces
  • Communication prior to delivery
  • Delivery experience
Ownership experience during the first 30 days:
  • Number of defects that needed fixing
  • Number of service center or mobile service visits
  • Number of days Tesla kept the car for repairs
Have you refused delivery or returned the car?

Do you know if your surveys have ever been the target of short sellers, Troy?

In most cases, I don't think short sellers would have an incentive to try and inflate sales estimates, but adding the fields above might just give them an incentive.

I would watch the entries carefully over the next week.

@willow_hiller, yes in the past Tesla haters or trolls were messing with my projects. They would open the spreadsheet and delete everything. That's why the spreadsheets are not editable anymore. Instead, we use Google forms. They are set to accept one entry per user. The same questions exist in my Model 3 survey too.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Hi @Troy

Not sure what is going or if it is just me, but I can't sort the spreadsheet anymore after I create a temporary filter. All the calculations at the top go to #DIV/0! and the data disappears. Problem started yesterday, I thought it was due to you working on the data, but it's still not working today.

Let me know if I'm missing something, and thanks for all the work, this is an awesome resource!!

Hi @Troy

Not sure what is going or if it is just me, but I can't sort the spreadsheet anymore after I create a temporary filter. All the calculations at the top go to #DIV/0! and the data disappears. Problem started yesterday, I thought it was due to you working on the data, but it's still not working today.

Let me know if I'm missing something, and thanks for all the work, this is an awesome resource!!
The spreadsheet seems to be working fine for me. I created created a new temporary filter view and successfully filtered the spreadsheet.
Edit: After applying a filter successfully, I tried to do a sort and got the same behavior (#DIV/0! and no data) as what you're seeing.

Last edited:
Now awaiting delivery on #2 Model Y White on White PUP with 21" FSD.
Order 1, placed 3-14-2019:, MPA, VIN (1165X), Insurance and paid: $ 70,287.25 Austin SC delivery 6-30-20 at 1pm
Order 2, placed 6-4-2020L MPA, VIN (2314X), insured, not paid yet: $ 70,377.25), Austin SC delivery 6-30-20 at 4pm
Tuesday should be an interesting day. Vegas phoned me today....said car was on Train transport. Still don't see how they can try to deliver by Tuesday....but they want their remaining payment (VEHICLE 2).
Insurance per USAA cheaper by $ 105 a year...rep said...better safety equipment (really..guess I need to look at detail declarations)

Not sure if will be able to post more over coming days: 1. Fund the second car ?, 2. take delivery of both (him and her IDENTICAL cars). Actually, changed order with SC weeks ago to push 2nd to 2021, blue and rear wheel drive. Only reason why I ordered 2nd (with $ 100 deposit) was thinking they LOST the 3-14-19 order. Guess they are showing me they can CAST a second PUP in less than 3 weeks.