Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive in the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the advice - I went ahead, and I'm really glad I did. What a great car. The Tesla guy let me take it on the 101, so I got to open it up :)
There was one point when a buzzer came on, and I was told that was because the Traction control engaged, however, just after that, somehow I managed to put it into neutral, so maybe that's what the buzzer was for!!. It was a weird feeling, putting my foot down and yet the car was slowing down.

I even got to drive in the color that I'm going to reserve (green).

Now that I've driven it, there's no turning back :)

There was one point when a buzzer came on, and I was told that was because the Traction control engaged, however, just after that, somehow I managed to put it into neutral, so maybe that's what the buzzer was for!!. It was a weird feeling, putting my foot down and yet the car was slowing down.
Congrats and welcome to the forum! My wife knocked it into neutral last week. Turns out the wipers in her Jeep are on the right so she swiped at that stalk in the rain and bumped the car into neutral. She said the same thing, that is was weird to be pressing the pedal while the car slowed down...

Put RainX or a coating on the windscreen and you won't even know it's raining:wink:

I took some advise offered on this forum to try Aquapel on my windscreen. Some thoughts: (a) water beads up nicely and really helps with light rain which does not activate the auto wipe feature, but (b) it now makes the driver side (large) wiper chatter a bit.

Did I do something wrong or is this to be expected?

Just drove home 550 mile from picking up the S, and about 525 were in the rain.

I don't know if it's the aerodynamics of the car, but water doesn't seem to blow off the glass like other cars I've owned, which made for lots of distortion, even with the wipers on. It was almost like the wind spread the water out, but not off the glass. I'm going to have to try Rain-X or Aquapel.

Coupled with the bad visibility even in light rain was the fact that the auto-wipers didn't seem to detect water until the windshield was impossible to see through.

Lastly, the path that the water takes off of the windshield onto the side windows, at least for me, makes the entire side mirrors unusable. Anyone else?

I have not noticed any of these concerns on my car.

The auto wipers worked great yesterday. The side mirrors are very visible. The only thing that kind of sucks is the backup camera gets wet and is unusable.

The visibility of the car sucks. But I have gotten used to it. I'm going to Rain-X everything, all windows, mirrors and roof. Should make a huge difference.

Justa suggestion, double check that the blade that chatters is at a right angle to the glass. Does it chatter in both directions or just one?

I believe the chatter occurs (a) when at right angle to glass, large blade coming close to vertical, and (b) primarily occurs on the wipe to the left (driver side) not on the return stroke to the right.

Do you have a suggestion about what this might mean?

Sounds like the blade has a "preferred" flexing direction. It is folded more or less flat moving right, and being "bent against the grain" moving left. It catches and releases rapidly and repeatedly, thus chattering. Sounds like reducing static friction with a Rain-X type treatment might stop it (no more seizing up/static friction grabbing).

I have not noticed any of these concerns on my car.

The auto wipers worked great yesterday. The side mirrors are very visible. The only thing that kind of sucks is the backup camera gets wet and is unusable.

The visibility of the car sucks. But I have gotten used to it. I'm going to Rain-X everything, all windows, mirrors and roof. Should make a huge difference.
Why not the camera lens too?