Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the car today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 7 years free update in the Tech Package refer to the map database of the on board navigation unit.
Another "free" refers to firmware updates that the car will receive. That means at "no cost for the owner to have it installed", but how the update is transferred to the car is at Tesla's decision. They could do it at a service visit via hard wired ethernet connection.

I am not aware that internet connectivity for free was announced since launch of Model S, neither bundled with the car nor any of its options. All owners were left in the dark, if they will find a "buy a data plan to stay connected" on their touchscreen any day. Only the recent "4 years free" announcement cleared this up, buying Tesla time until 12/31/2017 to figure out how to sell connectivity to a car that the must have online access to service it.

The 7 years free update in the Tech Package refer to the map database of the on board navigation unit.
Another "free" refers to firmware updates that the car will receive. That means at "no cost for the owner to have it installed", but how the update is transferred to the car is at Tesla's decision. They could do it at a service visit via hard wired ethernet connection.

I am not aware that internet connectivity for free was announced since launch of Model S, neither bundled with the car nor any of its options. All owners were left in the dark, if they will find a "buy a data plan to stay connected" on their touchscreen any day. Only the recent "4 years free" announcement cleared this up, buying Tesla time until 12/31/2017 to figure out how to sell connectivity to a car that the must have online access to service it.

Adding: SuperCharger Network has always been free to All Model S owners, Forever, for Everyone around the world. I believe Model X owners are now added to that, and I'm pretty sure it was said not too long ago during the European Town Halls that Gen III owners would also be added, but I'd have to review those videos (or others) to verify the latter.

Elon Musk has also repeatedly said over the years that he has no intention of ripping off any specific market, and wants to be as fair as possible to all, hence the much lower than expected (by others, such as competitor car manufacturers, media etc...) pricing in China.

So just be cool and patient. Eventually all your questions and concerns will be addressed, and I'm confident the Chinese market will be pleased with the final outcome.

As for OTA firmware updates, I don't think you need a data plan for that... can't the car connect to you wifi network at home? It's best to do these upgrades at home rather than on the road somewhere. You don't need to take the car to a service center, just connect to wifi.

I am not trying to put up a fight, but I just don't understand the logic behind your concern.

View attachment 44672View attachment 44673

Just check on both US and HK site, and it clearly written that the tech pack comes with 7 years connectivity in the States while the HK site says nothing about it.

That says 7 years updates for on board maps and navigation. Not Internet connectivity.

We still don't know what maps we are getting here. Or if the supplier Tesla currently uses has maps for Hong Kong.

I am not trying to put up a fight, but I just don't understand the logic behind your concern.

View attachment 44672View attachment 44673

Just check on both US and HK site, and it clearly written that the tech pack comes with 7 years connectivity in the States while the HK site says nothing about it.

Anyway, i will let you guys know about the roaming issue as soon as I drive it to the Mainland.

When I parse the language on the USA Tech Package, they state that you get onboard maps with free updates for 7 years. This does not necessarily require/guarantee 7 years of free data/GSM connectivity. They could update maps with a tethered connection (or even WiFi) at a Service Center or by a Ranger.

I asked Linda about this when I met her last Saturday. She said Tesla is sourcing a local telecom provider for the data plan. When I asked about costs, she said, officially, it's a three-month trial, but they haven't charged a single penny since the Model S first came out, so.... (with a fairly broad smile). My interpretation is, they may charge further down the road, but at least at delivery this summer, we won't have to pay...

Mark, you are so right. Only reason I chose the P85+ was that I think (or hope) I can cover the complete price with the sale of my existing vehicle. Otherwise I would have ordered a 60kWh, which is more than sufficient for HK.

Apple did not promise electricity, nor data, but Tesla Motors have said that when you buy the car with the tech package, it comes connected - you don't need to worry about it. The same for supercharging, it is free and will always be free (although, they never said they would guarantee enough super charging for all).
I know what you meant, but the way you phrased this makes it easy for it to be misconstrued. Note the underlined. Tesla has never indicated that connectivity is "the same" as supercharging in the "always be free" since.

My recollection is that a year was promised to Sigs and 3 months for non-sigs. But my recollection is that it was for Slacker, and maybe connectivity. I'm starting to get fuzzy memories here but I figured it might be of interest nonetheless.

Probably a case of you see what you want to see. I must have been misguided here, but if this is the case, are there provisions for changing the sim card somewhere? I can just imagine driving across Europe with your own sim card and you end up with a monstrous phone bill because the car is downloading maps and updates.

This made me think of when I had a Citroën C5. It was a quite new model in 2001, and highly integrated and automated. At one stage, one rear side window fell down with a crunch. You could wind it up again, partly, but then it will drop with a plonk sound again. When I called the service center, the first they replied was "What firmware version do you have?". This was clearly a hardware fault, but our cars are more and more becoming gadgets with wheels, rather than cars!