Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texan Residents can’t get 4680s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a MYP in the first week of Feb 2022. I just got an EDD of march 10-31 but I just recently found out giga texas is not allowed to deliver to texas residents. Does this mean that there is absolutely no way of receiving 4680s inside texas? I heard you could FedEx the paper work to out of state and get your car delivered back in Texas? I was going to delay my delivery but now that there’s no way of me getting it I’m not to sure?

How do you know they have 4680s?
Because that’s all they’re going to build in Austin. There is no doubt a small chance they will build a structural pack with the smaller batteries, but its unlikely. But they’re not going to start with the current, floored Fremont chassis, then suddenly stop and change over their brand new production lines to something else.

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer
Upvote 1
Right, but if they plan on delivering some before Q1 ends are Texas Residents eligible of even receiving one or is that completely off the table until other factories produce them?
If?

My money says Model Y does not get 4680 packs in to regular production for a year or longer. I know Musk said otherwise, but he's been known to oversell their projections often.

Tesla Semi is going to hoover up every single one of those packs to fill big money commercial orders, before they would let individual customers get them while the current 2170 packs are still in the supply chain.

You will get a 2170 battery MYP in March, wherever it comes from.

Upvote 0
During the earnings call they said austin already started building Ys with the 4680. Of course they aren't delivering them yet.

I also recall the same. Andrew David "Drew" Baglino, Senior Vice President, Powertrain and Energy Engineering since October 2019, said that he was already driving one of the 4680 vehicles "yesterday" and expected delivery "this quarter".

Then, to follow up, other questioners also repeated the 4680 delivery for this quarter as well. Tesla confirmed the timeline and did not correct/deny that timeline.

Upvote 0
That was my main concern, because if they do end up delivering are they not able to ship to texas residents since it’s against law to buy directly from manufacturer in texas

CyberTruck will be produced in Texas so I can't imagine that it won't be sold to Texans.

The rumors that Tesla Texas Products can't be sold to Texans need to be verified: What's the source?

Upvote 0
That was my main concern, because if they do end up delivering are they not able to ship to texas residents since it’s against law to buy directly from manufacturer in texas
They ship the car out of state, then you pay for it prior to delivery, then they ship it too you. Will they do that with the MY? Nobody can say yet 100%, but that is how they can do the Cybertruck.

This method is mentioned in a few of the delivery threads, and saw one with a link to an article about it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I talked to an SA in Houston for a bit and he knew what he was talking about regarding questions and other answers, I touched in this subject and he said. "Tesla will be able to sell cars to Texans since Teslas paperwork will be coming from California" I asked no more and he he had somewhat of a smirk.

So I'm guessing that somehow that paperwork gets shuffled thru california and back to Texas.

Still not really clear and I wish someone would actually clarify it in simple terms.
I take what the advisor told me with a grain of salt, but you would figure Elon would have done his homework before building such factory here.

Also I seen him meet up with the governor of Texas about 2 weeks ago, so no telling.

Upvote 0
If?

My money says Model Y does not get 4680 packs in to regular production for a year or longer. I know Musk said otherwise, but he's been known to oversell their projections often.

Tesla Semi is going to hoover up every single one of those packs to fill big money commercial orders, before they would let individual customers get them while the current 2170 packs are still in the supply chain.

You will get a 2170 battery MYP in March, wherever it comes from.

In March, yes, it will not be 4680. For a year or longer? absolutely not. Semi and big money commercial orders? Semi is still in development with TBD location on where it's being built.

Upvote 0
The article says Texans still can buy Tesla products made in Texas but not directly.

That means Texans can still buy Model Y made in Texas but not directly. The law requires bureaucratic hoops to follow through.

You can still get your vehicle delivered from Texas, just need to complete the transactions from other state. Order your car online, registrations will be in other state (ie, California) and delivered from Texas plant with California paperwork. or drive over state line and make your purchase out of state, physically in person.

Reactions: TEXAS-Y-P
Upvote 0
You can still get your vehicle delivered from Texas, just need to complete the transactions from other state. Order your car online, registrations will be in other state (ie, California) and delivered from Texas plant with California paperwork. or drive over state line and make your purchase out of state, physically in person.
How would someone make the purchase out of state? Do you mean to place the order online out of state, or after ordering online and completing delivery profile w/ registration you would then drive to another state to give your loan details in person or full cash?

Upvote 0
...place the order online out of state,..
Yes. That verifies that the money exchange is not within Texas. The online transaction would fulfill the law.
or after ordering online and completing delivery profile w/ registration you would then drive to another state to give your loan details in person or full cash?
No. You don't have to drive out of state. The sales receipt verifies that the transaction was not from Texas so it is in compliance with Texas law. You then bring that sales receipt to register your car in the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and to get your car title.

Texans have bought Tesla cars for years without leaving Texas. It's only a bureaucratic dance as long as the paperwork verifies that the transaction is not from Texas, then everything has been fine. Tesla cars have been waiting for Texans to pick up at a Tesla center physically.

Upvote 0
Yes. That verifies that the money exchange is not within Texas. The online transaction would fulfill the law.

No. You don't have to drive out of state. The sales receipt verifies that the transaction was not from Texas so it is in compliance with Texas law. You then bring that sales receipt to register your car in the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and to get your car title.

Texans have bought Tesla cars for years without leaving Texas. It's only a bureaucratic dance as long as the paperwork verifies that the transaction is not from Texas, then everything has been fine. Tesla cars have been waiting for Texans to pick up at a Tesla center physically.
So lets say for example:

A resident from Austin wants a GigaTexas vehicle. They place their order online at a showroom in Austin. They complete the registration and get a loan approved (They are currently waiting for a VIN and have a EDD in April). Even though they placed the order inside the Austin showroom is the transaction still considered out of state?

Upvote 0
So lets say for example:

A resident from Austin wants a GigaTexas vehicle. They place their order online at a showroom in Austin. They complete the registration and get a loan approved (They are currently waiting for a VIN and have a EDD in April). Even though they placed the order inside the Austin showroom is the transaction still considered out of state?

Legally, you can use your own phone or computer inside the Austin showroom to order online.

Your loan company needs to route the money to a Tesla outside of Texas so you can't hand Austin showroom the check for delivery. That means all final payment has to be completed online before you can walk to Autin Showroom to pick up your own car.

Upvote 0
Legally, you can use your own phone or computer inside the Austin showroom to order online.

Your loan company needs to route the money to a Tesla outside of Texas so you can't hand Austin showroom the check for delivery. That means all final payment has to be completed online before you can walk to Autin Showroom to pick up your own car.
Oh okay, so I’m currently at the stage where I have an EDD of march 10-31st. I live in texas and I am waiting to send my loan to a tesla outside of Texas but I have not received a MVPA. When I receive my MVPA I can talk to my SA on how to make the payment outside of Texas correct?

My last question:
When I receive my MVPA won’t I have received a VIN as well at the same time or is it possible to receive the MVPA without a VIN?

Upvote 0