Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will do, figuratively not literally of course :p Hopefully I can show her yours and change her mind on the silver. I know you said you were disappointed with the midnight silver when you saw it. Have only seen it in pictures and seems to really look different depending on the lighting. What was disappointing about it?

Haha are you ready for my MSM brain dump?

For me I have seen it 2 times in person. Once at the service center and once at a petsmart in Beecaves. Both times the car was not clean and had a good level of grime on it. The one at the service center just got off the truck and was dirty and it had just rained plus it was during oak pollen. The one in beecaves was just dirty.

Here was my observations:
1. I really thought the chrome went better on the silver. I could live with it on the silver but with the MSM I felt like it was a bit blingy for my taste. I wish they used a more satin chrome like the new lux brands are doing now like Audi/Lexus/BMW. I would have desired to black out the chrome if I had a MSM and frankly I am already spending way too much on this car and I wasn't sure what to do with the door handles. I really wish they were color matched like a Jag or Astin Martin.
2. Many of the times I saw the MSM in person on an S it had a steel blue tone to it. I wish it was more charcoal looking and slightly darker. My parents have a 2018 Ford Escape Sport in charcoal with black rims and trim and it looks amazing. The MSM with black I think would look off too. I think the MSM was going for a more 'elegant' approach and frankly I am not elegant in any sense of the word. I like more raw sporty colors (I have had 6 fire engine red cars and my wife has been giving me a hard time about always choosing red so I am NOT GOING TO CHOOSE RED. It helps they don't have a bright red or I probably would have been all over that like a tongue on a frozen pipe).
3. The dark cars look great when they are super clean but the second they get dirty then they look poorly kept. I could have washed it 10 minutes ago and during oak season or after a quick rain it looks drabby. When I went to the service center and saw the silver sitting there it was the only color that looked pretty awesome dirty. I have 3 kids so I wash my cars max once or twice a month.

With that said my wife already has a silver van and I love silver but I really wanted another color (not red, black, white) that would be different. I was really struggling and MSM was really what I wanted from the beginning but both times I saw it I felt blah. I couldn't get myself to order it. The silver looked sharp the 3 times I have seen it. The MSM I kept feeling like "it probably looks amazing clean" but I haven't seen a clean one in person so I wasn't really willing to take the risk and most likely my car would be dirty like the two I saw :)

Oh and I really think it is subjective so take my opinion with a grain of salt and get what makes you happy. I really wish they had a sporty color like that Audi blue that is available on the S3/S4 I think it is called Nogaro Blue with a black optics package. I also love the Nardo grey with black optics. If you look at those two cars you can see what kind of look I like. To me most of the Tesla colors look like something from a Toyota Avalon not something sporty.

I configured on 4/18, and was thinking best to wait till I have a VIN assigned before starting with the financing. Will probably start at RBFCU given they are the ones offering the lowest, how long is the rate good for... don't want to end up having a 30 day rate without knowing how far out delivery will be at this point.

I configured on 4/18, and was thinking best to wait till I have a VIN assigned before starting with the financing. Will probably start at RBFCU given they are the ones offering the lowest, how long is the rate good for... don't want to end up having a 30 day rate without knowing how far out delivery will be at this point.

RBFCU rate is good for 90 days.

I wanted red and my wife wanted midnight silver. I ordered midnight silver. ;)

(it was my second choice)

Pretty much the same quandary, went to the Southlake store - saw both colours and was delighted that wifey chose red. Ordered right away - the more you tend to sit on these decisions, the more you compound the discomfort of your selection.

20180201_161855.jpg

Reactions: geoffreak
The S is in red. But we were told that the colors on the 3 were the same as the ones available on the S except the Black.

Was a strange day - went out to look for a couple of colours and probably saw them all on a model3 except the blue on the road. Taking all those photos made Google Photos think it was some sort of an event that it made an album out of it.

27c6e5b5-6e06-4358-9822-7a82f896cecb.jpg

Well, car was supposed to arrive on 4/19, and was going to take delivery 4/21. But got a call from Tesla saying the truck driver damaged the car during transportation, and rather than fix it, they will assign me a new car. Don't know when though, but the silver lining is, they set me up with a P85D loaner in the meantime! (I had sold my old car to coincide with delivery) :)

Reserved 3/31 in-store, 3rd in line. Configured 2/22/18, VIN assigned 4/3.

Oh and I really think it is subjective so take my opinion with a grain of salt and get what makes you happy. I really wish they had a sporty color like that Audi blue that is available on the S3/S4 I think it is called Nogaro Blue with a black optics package. I also love the Nardo grey with black optics. If you look at those two cars you can see what kind of look I like. To me most of the Tesla colors look like something from a Toyota Avalon not something sporty.
As long time and current Audi owner, definitely familiar with those colors. Definitely like those as well. I totally hear you on the darker colors and looking dirty. My current Audi is close to the Tesla blue and does look dirty all the time as I rarely get around to washing it. My wife made me promise to keep the 3 washed regularly. :p

I kind of like the window trim with the darker colors. Breaks things up and give a little "pop". To me it does seem a bit satin, not bright chrome but maybe it was just dirty and cut down on the shine. One of the reasons I am not liking the white as much is window trim blends in and overall just makes the car look bland whereas the silver is darker to differentiate the window trim, yet light enough to not show as much dirt. I've never had this much trouble deciding on paint color on any of my other cars.

So how much (if any) of the TX registration process does Tesla handle before you take delivery? I ask because I'll probably be wanting to put business vanity plates on the car ASAP.. just wondering if I'll be able to do that right away or what.

I don't believe it's a placeholder - I believe you have a delivery appointment tomorrow.

All I can suggest is call the Tesla 800 number and explain to them what's going on and ask them if they can put you in touch with the Delivery Center directly?

Mike

The 10PM delivery time is what is making me question it. The 800 number reps just say they are leaving my ISA a message to contact me. Never does....