Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not anticipate that Speedshield would be interested in participating in a group buy. He thinks very highly of his work, which I have no reason to doubt, and says they are already booked weeks out. He simply doesn't need to lower his price to get lots of work, especially since he's literally the only game in town for Photosync. He quoted me $795 for Photosync all around (no wind shield).

• Informative
Reactions: bollar
If anyone is looking for financing, I used UHCU and got a great rate. Belenda is the rep and she knew all about the Tesla M3 process. She was able to push my ISA for info and overnighted the check to speed things along, all without me asking her to. If you want her contact info feel free to PM Me.

• Informative
Reactions: LonestarV
Not sure if it is against guidelines to post prices, but FWIW Speedshield quoted ~1200 for Photosync. This was for the 35% sides+ rear and 75% windshield. Also simply wasn't interested in group buys when prodded.

Hmm, that's interesting, I had gone to drop off a friend who was getting his MS tinted and I just asked him how much he would charge for the Model 3, and he said the same as for Model S, which was $1500 or so. Maybe he said that since I was with my MS owner friend?

Reactions: bollar
Just got the dreaded call from Tesla SC. The car is still on the other side of the state and they are cancelling my Wednesday pick up unless something happens and it gets here in time. Still zero chance they will meet my 11am appointment. What a waste of a vacation day tomorrow will be.

Just got the dreaded call from Tesla SC. The car is still on the other side of the state and they are cancelling my Wednesday pick up unless something happens and it gets here in time. Still zero chance they will meet my 11am appointment. What a waste of a vacation day tomorrow will be.

Let me say this from experience. Right now I completely understand your pain. I think Tesla has issues and this entire process is disappointing. With that said once you see your car and sit behind the wheel there is this strange thing that happens. Your mouth starts to smile from ear to ear and you have so much happiness that nothing Tesla does matters. The car is incredible and will erase everything in your mind about the point up to that point you sat in that car.

So here I go... (I am also going to post this into the Model 3 Owner's Forum but I feel close to the group here so I am posting it here as well)

I got my car today. It has issues. It needs the right quarter panel painted. The headliner going down the left A piller buldges. The right rear passenger door trim buldges. My iphone won't charge with the supplied cable etc... etc... etc... I'll have to give my baby back to the SC in Austin at some point but I chose to take the car today and will schedule the repair for later.

The only other gripe I have at this point is I was freezing my kids in the back seat. There are no controls for the vents back there and you can't turn them off. With the sun coming in the car I was hot and they were freezing. Go figure. I wish they could close off the vents or do something to moderate the temp back there. (Or I could adjust the amount of air going to the rear vents like my wife's van).

Also when I got to the service center for an 11am appointment no one approached us. I looked into the area where the cars were being delivered and no silver car in there. We didn't know what to do and there was no obvious place to check in. We sat in a chair with others and had no clue what was going on. One saving grace is there were a bunch of papers to sign after the car was delivered and my name was on a paper so I had peace of mind. At about 11:40 my wife was getting antsy so I went to ask if we needed to check in or something. A detailer called someone over and he said he would see if someone could help us. At about 11:45 someone called our name. I am willing to give them some grace because there was a bit of disarray because a man was there with his wife and he surprised her with a Model 3. She had no clue. She thought she was there because her nephew ordered a blue one. They were next to us and the car was red. My wife who was supposed to come to get trained on the car didn't hear any of the training because she was eves dropping their conversation. Apparently they came out and the car they were looking at was red. The wife said "Didn't you order a blue one?" The husband then said "This is your car!" Then she said "I have never had a new car before". My wife said it was so awesome and I didn't hear any of it because I was being trained through the features and getting my phone hooked up.

With all that said when they called my name my mood changed from being slightly discouraged by the lack of customer service to total euphoria. My car wasn't in there but they magically pulled it through a side door I didn't even notice. I was second guessing my color choice. There was a midnight silver in there that looked awesome. A blue in there that looked awesome. Then the red one. But when I went out and saw my silver model 3 I was in love. It was mine. I spent 2 years gestating that baby in my mind and boy was it more than I could have imagined. I didn't care what they told me. I didn't care the faults. My wife was diligently looking around the car for issues and I was totally lovestruck. I could barely function. It was amazing. Time stood still.

The Tesla team was very up front. After we got to the car they said "well we found a small issue and you can either leave the car here and pick it up in 2 weeks or take it today and bring it back". The issue is I have a very weird paint spray pattern on the right rear quarter panel. It is on the hip line right under the quarter window. I can't take a picture of it it is so faint. It looks like three lines almost ridges in the paint. If I didn't know any better I would have thought it was shadows from the studio lighting in the room. Anyway my quarter panel will have to be resprayed. And I don't care. I love the car. Before I sat in the car and drove it I would have probably sat here on the forums thinking I would refuse the car and ask for another one. Let me tell you that was impossible for me. Even with its few flaws that might not be on that Honda Accord this is no Honda Accord. I equate this more to a Ferrari. You buy it for the mystique or the passion. You deal with the quirks. It is amazing. I sure hope it holds up to my day to day life but I have an entire new idea of why people who have a Tesla now couldn't buy anything else. I'll even venture to say that right now any other EV wouldn't be the same. It is the entire package.

After we went and picked up the car we went and surprised the kids. They didn't know we were getting the car today. My 14 year old got out at 1:30 today and I hid the Tesla behind my wife's minivan (we didn't have time to head home to drop the van off). When my daughter came out and was putting her bags in the back of the van I crept the car forward silently and after I was about 1/2 car length past the van she noticed. At first she looked at me and kind of surprised I was there and not at work then she asked "what is wrong?" she thought it was a rental car. Then after about 30 seconds she saw the door handles (which I had explained to my wife and her so they could tell a Model 3 from a Model S) and she just started screaming "YOU GOT YOUR TESLA???". Then I gave a ride to a dear friend who was amazed by it. After that we picked up our two younger kids and they really loved it.

I have had a busy day and am exhausted. I am so tired from all the emotions I have had today. My wife is super happy for me. Also she said "You better hope I don't want an X". Here we go!

With that said if you haven't got your car yet don't get discouraged. That day you drive your car for the first time will completely make up for the mistakes of the entire process. Maybe I am overly excited going from a 13 year old truck to this amazing piece of machinery and maybe it wouldn't be as special if I went from an Audi S4 to this car but i can only speak from my enthusiasm. THE CAR IS INCREDIBLE.

Can you see me?
MyTesla.jpg

I finally got the email and they are wanting me to pick up at Houston North rather than Dallas.

I'll be submitting pictures of my trade in tomorrow and hopefully taking delivery in May and registering the car in June when our taxes drop 1%.

I'm hoping the car can get there before I make the 4-5 hour trip to pick it up and any damage or issues can be resolved by the time we arrive. I could drive there and back in the same day but with a 9 month old it adds some time to the trip. I'd rather spend a day in town with it to make sure everything is as close to 100% as it can be driving back. Hopefully I'll make it to the Shreveport supercharger before heading back to West Monroe.