Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So. My car is in Austin.

Car hasn't been inspected yet but it's here. I haven't called the guy back (I'm dealing with someone high up in Tesla delivery operations now), but it sure didn't sound like they're going to offer me anything beyond delivery. I'm going to push them on that front though.
Well I think they owe you a whole lot of compensation but I am super happy and relieved to heat it's in town.

Reactions: SleepingLesson
she thought some cars in that lot were having the 12 volt battery dead problem. Doesn't bode well for mine. At the same time, I think it would be very odd that exactly 9 cars with all the same "availability" date and time all have dead 12v batteries too.
I think these 12 volt battery problems are a red herring.

I don’t think this is a universal thing. I never lost app access to the car from the moment I picked it up. Picked up on 8/23 in Houston.
I don’t think it’s a universal problem either. But it’s not a robust process evidenced by the same complaint showing up from time to time. Phone support guy said it’s not uncommon.

I think these 12 volt battery problems are a red herring.

That's what I think too. I've seen it cited too many times. It's not possible that so many are rolling out and BOOM dead battery. Doesn't really seem likely. Plus, when I dig into the car details on the UR report, what are the chances that 9 cars all marked available for transport at the exact same date and time have this condition? Unlikely. On the same hand, feels like a company like UR should know how to move cars in the right FIFO order.

I'm really hoping I just jumped the gun and the car really is on the cusp of transport. I expressed enough displeasure at the incremental delays that turn out not to be realistic, coupled with "please don't feed me a line, I know where the car is" that she moved me a whole week. She didn't call me back to ask if that was OK either, so that was definitely annoying. No consideration for whether or not that day works for me. It doesn't actually, I'm in a day long workshop that day.

I'm hoping, like others, they've just moved it out far enough that whatever the stoppage is will clear, and maybe I'll get called in earlier. Was originally hoping for the long weekend, and when that got missed, I was hoping at least I'd have it in time for the Drive EV event at Grapevine Mills this weekend. Who knows, maybe it'll still happen.

Reactions: jdirik
I was hoping at least I'd have it in time for the Drive EV event at Grapevine Mills this weekend. Who knows, maybe it'll still happen.

My delivery on Thursday still looks good so far, Lyft ride scheduled and got notification today that my registration packet is on its way and should be delivered by tomorrow.

If everything goes well I will be at the Grapevine Mills Drive EV event this Saturday.

*Fingers crossed*

Reactions: jdirik
My delivery on Thursday still looks good so far, Lyft ride scheduled and got notification today that my registration packet is on its way and should be delivered by tomorrow.

If everything goes well I will be at the Grapevine Mills Drive EV event this Saturday.

*Fingers crossed*
Good luck! Your car didn't pass through Ft Worth rail jail right? Hard to keep track of who did and who didn't. Until my car went into lockup, I thought going by rail would be good because the cars would be fully enclosed for most of the trip. But waiting for jailbreak seems not worth it either :)

I'll probably be at Grapevine Mills anyway, because the list of different EV's attending looks pretty interesting. Just wished to be there as an EV owner, not a gawker!

Reactions: louisTM3
I'm holding off on celebrating until I am driving my car home. Too many false starts with this.
I totally understand that feeling. You have waited longer than all of us. I feel like I have a vapor car and like they keep going "oh, just kidding, no car for you". Getting out of rail jail is just the next step in a process that sadly could still go south, so your caution is warranted. My ISA, after patiently listening to me spout off about this issue, even said "well once the delivery center gets your car, it still needs to pass inspection". Yes, yes I know. Please, one hurdle at a time, I'm well aware.

Reactions: SleepingLesson
Good luck! Your car didn't pass through Ft Worth rail jail right? Hard to keep track of who did and who didn't. Until my car went into lockup, I thought going by rail would be good because the cars would be fully enclosed for most of the trip. But waiting for jailbreak seems not worth it either :)

I'll probably be at Grapevine Mills anyway, because the list of different EV's attending looks pretty interesting. Just wished to be there as an EV owner, not a gawker!

That's right, my car was lucky enough that it got the "Advance to go and collect $200" card instead of the "GO TO JAIL: Go directly to Jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200" card. I think there is another guy on the Tesla Forum (afcop2) who was in the similar situation as me.

I really wish one day we can find out why some cars went by rail and some went directly by trucks, I am curious about if cars are selected randomly for each method or there are reasonings behind it.

@libra89 come say hi if you see a white with aero wheels with the cover off!

Reactions: libra89
I really wish one day we can find out why some cars went by rail and some went directly by trucks,
Almost certainly car carrier trailer availability is part of it, as well as rail generally being quite a bit cheaper if you have enough vehicles to fill the whole railcar (which w/the roughly 5-fold increase in deliveries compared to last year, Tesla generally does these days).

Last edited:
That's what I think too. I've seen it cited too many times. It's not possible that so many are rolling out and BOOM dead battery. Doesn't really seem likely. Plus, when I dig into the car details on the UR report, what are the chances that 9 cars all marked available for transport at the exact same date and time have this condition? Unlikely. On the same hand, feels like a company like UR should know how to move cars in the right FIFO order.

I'm really hoping I just jumped the gun and the car really is on the cusp of transport. I expressed enough displeasure at the incremental delays that turn out not to be realistic, coupled with "please don't feed me a line, I know where the car is" that she moved me a whole week. She didn't call me back to ask if that was OK either, so that was definitely annoying. No consideration for whether or not that day works for me. It doesn't actually, I'm in a day long workshop that day.

I'm hoping, like others, they've just moved it out far enough that whatever the stoppage is will clear, and maybe I'll get called in earlier. Was originally hoping for the long weekend, and when that got missed, I was hoping at least I'd have it in time for the Drive EV event at Grapevine Mills this weekend. Who knows, maybe it'll still happen.

My IDA said the same thing, that the 12v battery was dead on my car and that a crew was going out to the Alliance facility yesterday from Cedar Springs to fix those cars and then it would be able to be moved.

I still do not have a delivery date scheduled because she couldn't tell me when the car would be picked up.

My VIN has never appeared on the United Road delivery search.

Neither did mine.

Perhaps United Road isn't the only transport vendor they work with? I'd been receiving delivery notifications for Austin Pond Springs over the last couple of weeks and the volume of cars indicated didn't match w/ what I saw on hand this past weekend (~50 Model 3s awaiting delivery). Nor was it consistent w/ the ~70 vehicles that an employee I talked to said had come in the last week (not sure if he was referring to Model 3s alone or not).

Just got the call that the truck has arrived at the Austin delivery center and they still want to deliver it today (was originally scheduled for 11am). I told them to take their time but I can be there whenever. Surprised as can be that it's actually there today as I was told it wasn't going to make it yesterday and they didn't know where it was!

For those wondering:

Reservation: 6/24/16
Config: 6/28/18
Fully Funded: 8/22/18 (exactly 2 weeks ago)
Delivery Scheduled for: 9/5/18
MSM, RWD, EAP

Just got the call that the truck has arrived at the Austin delivery center and they still want to deliver it today (was originally scheduled for 11am). I told them to take their time but I can be there whenever. Surprised as can be that it's actually there today as I was told it wasn't going to make it yesterday and they didn't know where it was!

For those wondering:

MSM, RWD, EAP

I wonder how they do this scheduling. Tesla actually received my check on 8/17, but didn't acknowledge it until 8/21, yet my delivery was scheduled for 9/10. So somehow you got a much shorter delivery time, although it seems they can't quite meet that. Weird. I'm just hoping I don't fall into the trap lots of others have and can actually get my car on the originally scheduled date

For those wondering:

MSM, RWD, EAP

Good luck, hope you have a flawless delivery and your next post gushes about how much you like the car!

Now we just have to focus our karma on SL!

I wonder how they do this scheduling. Tesla actually received my check on 8/17, but didn't acknowledge it until 8/21, yet my delivery was scheduled for 9/10. So somehow you got a much shorter delivery time, although it seems they can't quite meet that. Weird. I'm just hoping I don't fall into the trap lots of others have and can actually get my car on the originally scheduled date
I'm wondering the same thing. check my sig. My car has been sitting at DFW rail jail since 8/15.