Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas registration issues and steps to navigate them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I received those first...sent them back and then received the final package after calling and requesting that they send the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin and the Bill of Sale. They sent these documents as well as a signed Application for Texas Certificate of Title about five or six days after that first package of documents.

When Tesla sends the Fedex with the initial documents and the Fedex with the final documents, do they also send you an email to let you know they're on the way? I am currently on assignment in China (in China for 3-4 weeks, then home for 2-3 weeks, then repeat). I'd hate to have the Fedex sitting on my doorstop for 3-4 weeks and delay the process.

When Tesla sends the Fedex with the initial documents and the Fedex with the final documents, do they also send you an email to let you know they're on the way? I am currently on assignment in China (in China for 3-4 weeks, then home for 2-3 weeks, then repeat). I'd hate to have the Fedex sitting on my doorstop for 3-4 weeks and delay the process.
Keith72, I'd get in touch with [email protected] or [email protected] and let them know your situation.

Agree with TXjak. I wasn't expecting the first FedEx package and only know about the second from Forum posts. Plus the process is so fluid that you never know. I have my car now, but no registration papers! It does look nice in the garage, though...

Agree with TXjak. I wasn't expecting the first FedEx package and only know about the second from Forum posts. Plus the process is so fluid that you never know. I have my car now, but no registration papers! It does look nice in the garage, though...
@Lynn005: Congrats on getting your car. Were any of the documents in the first package official Texas documents?

Call Telsa (Ownership team) and get them to FedEx whatever is missing. Congrats.

I was told (by Matt) that we would be getting temp cardboard plates along with a temp California reg papers. If this is true, then Tesla buys us some time. Is this not happening?

Got my reg papers today. No cardboard plate. So I guess what I heard and what was said were not congruent. I have what I need to register the car now, so I may go swing by and get the plates just to be ready. Otherwise, I will just go take $25 cash and get a temp 30 day transit tag so that I can drive. Tax Assessor office stated that was an option. Generally used for those who need to have the car repaired and pass inspection so that you can take it to a service shop ... I will use mine for daily travel. May still just go get the permanent tags.

Got my reg papers today. No cardboard plate. So I guess what I heard and what was said were not congruent. I have what I need to register the car now, so I may go swing by and get the plates just to be ready. Otherwise, I will just go take $25 cash and get a temp 30 day transit tag so that I can drive. Tax Assessor office stated that was an option. Generally used for those who need to have the car repaired and pass inspection so that you can take it to a service shop ... I will use mine for daily travel. May still just go get the permanent tags.

Texas texas vehicle transit permit. Unfortunately, this link doesn't work for me. The google preview says: "Vehicle Transit Permit. If you buy a car or truck and the seller keeps the Texas license plates, print a Transit Permit to drive the vehicle home or to your local county tax office"

Hmm, it seemed to work for me, although I didn't print it. It recognized the vehicle as an "UNKNOWN" type, so they may need to update it for Tesla VIN information.

Temp_Permit.jpg

Hmm, it seemed to work for me, although I didn't print it. It recognized the vehicle as an "UNKNOWN" type, so they may need to update it for Tesla VIN information.

View attachment 12342

STOP!

Do not print it! That will be the only time that Texas will allow that VIN to be used as a transit permit. IT will start from the click and end five days later.

Interestingly, this will not help me. It helps you, because the system recognizes the VIN. Why? Because you have registered it. My VIN has never seen the light of a Texas DMV computer diode and, as such, will return "unrecognized - cannot print tag"

I think I am just going to go over to the tax office with my papers and get the tags. I should have time to do that Thursday before the million hour long evening choir concert at the girls school.