Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text messaging Model S 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a '14 Model S, and agree that the ability to read text messages is fantastic.

Am I missing something, though...How do I reply to a message or initiate a new one? I can't seem to make that part work.

I’m assuming this doesn’t work with iMessage?
It works with iMessage but not with group messages. I attempted to reply to a group message chat and it ended up sending the message to the person who last submitted the message in the group chat. It states that this may be an issue. That part kind of sucks but its certainly better than not having the feature at all.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zer0t
I tested this yesterday and the car failed to receive the text message sent to me. I am guessing i need to do something on my phone (a Pixel 2 running Android) but did not find any related setting.
BTW, anyone know if using the voice command to send a text would violate the Massachusetts law that prohibits texting while driving? If the law does not explicitly allow voice-generate text messages, it could be illegal.

I tested this yesterday and the car failed to receive the text message sent to me. I am guessing i need to do something on my phone (a Pixel 2 running Android) but did not find any related setting.
BTW, anyone know if using the voice command to send a text would violate the Massachusetts law that prohibits texting while driving? If the law does not explicitly allow voice-generate text messages, it could be illegal.

When I was setting up my Pixel 3 with my Model 3 txt message, I had to unpair the 2 (forget devices) and re-pair it to get it to work. After I re-pair, a permission popped up on my Pixel 3 asking for permission from the car to access sms messages.

How do you:

1. Control the volume? It is reading my messages back a a WAY to high volume.
2. Stop the read back in the middle - some of my family sends novels in text. It would be nice to be able to cancel the readback in process.
On Model S I would think it is the volume control that can be accessed in the settings for Navigation. I noticed my Slacker music didn’t mute when reading a text so it must be the same speaker used for navigating. (On Model 3 I think there is only one speaker so obviously only one volume control.)

As for stopping the reading in the middle, I don’t think that’s possible...yet.

For those who haven't found it yet - if you go to the phone dialpad screen on the MCU, there is a messages section now that will show you the listing of your received messages and allow you to pick/choose ones to read and act on. Very useful for times when a message comes in and you inadvertently dismiss it.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
For those who haven't found it yet - if you go to the phone dialpad screen on the MCU, there is a messages section now that will show you the listing of your received messages and allow you to pick/choose ones to read and act on. Very useful for times when a message comes in and you inadvertently dismiss it.
If you don't mind me asking: in my car, this section shows only the message received during that drive. Not all messages in my phone.
Is it the same in yours?