Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TFL checks out the new Silverado EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been consistent with my opinions
I don’t think the CT will appeal to the traditional PU buyer
Think the CT appeals to the 4x4 radical, non traditional buyer, of which I have been with trucks and sports cars
I was a long term landcruiser and wrangler owner
I hope to be a CT owner
The compelling designs, features and cost value to the CT can be very disruptive causing these non traditional buyers to consider the CT
Instead of the future EV wrangler and bronco
Interesting that analysts think the Raptor buyer will conside the CT
Time will tell

Reactions: GSP
another waste of battery 200+ kwh just to brag about range. One battery could get 3 Bolts with $30+k price=$90k. That's how GM loses money.
Last winter in Wisconsin my model Y was getting less than 180 miles on super cold days. That is with 330 mile range. Buy super cold, I mean well below zero Fahrenheit. The bottom line is we all don’t live in California. Extra range is really important in Canada and the upper Midwest. It is also we central to tow as others have said.

Reactions: QUBO
I agree, but do we need 600
Reports are that with the M3P pattern in the M3RWD, it will move up to 300
Think this will set a 2023-2024 precedent for range
Low end vehicles 300 miles, this M3 and then M2
Mid tier 400 M3 MY LRs
High end 500 X S CT
Ultra 500 Licid level

Last winter in Wisconsin my model Y was getting less than 180 miles on super cold days. That is with 330 mile range. Buy super cold, I mean well below zero Fahrenheit. The bottom line is we all don’t live in California. Extra range is really important in Canada and the upper Midwest. It is also we central to tow as others have said.
Damn, that's a pretty major cold weather drop-off. I agree it's especially needed on trucks, and I'd also like to see a lot more hybrid options in the truck space as well.

Reactions: QUBO
going for 450 miles of range (assuming you don't tow) is complete overkill. Especially with GM joining the supercharger network. I would never pay a subtantial premium to get that much range which i would rarely if ever use. ~300+ miles of range which translate into ~230 miles of real range at highway speeds is plenty for roadtripping...

Reactions: FLRifleman
I don’t trailer but don’t drivers usually plan:
Before hooking up, charge to 95%
Next Tow making sure enough SOC is left to return back to a charging location without the trailer when necessary or back to a charging location with the trailer if permissible/possible at home or location

Also, think future designs of TSC will have way off to the side pull through spots to accommodate trailers

EV can be great towing platforms for short trips. For longer trips, the Diesel will most always be the better choice.

Huge, inefficient trucks are perhaps not the best usage of scarce battery supplies.

Many of these will be purchased by people that just like to run around in big trucks. Rarely carry huge loads or tow long distances. Most would be better served by a smaller SUV or mini-van.

EV can be great towing platforms for short trips. For longer trips, the Diesel will most always be the better choice.

Huge, inefficient trucks are perhaps not the best usage of scarce battery supplies.

Many of these will be purchased by people that just like to run around in big trucks. Rarely carry huge loads or tow long distances. Most would be better served by a smaller SUV or mini-van.
agreed... a modestly decked out Silverado EV for $100k+ with 400+ miles of range is about the worst "bang for your buck" and subpar towing experience when a GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali Ultimate costs $10k less....

Reactions: T3SLAROD
But will these big rig buyers ever consider an EV “big rig” when the state they live in is planning on eliminating diesel one day, aka Cali?

The Silverado EV and CT are full size and offer 14k towing
We have not heard about the 2500/250 size PU plans
This will be interesting to see how GM and Ford provide
Let alone 3500/350….

But will these big rig buyers ever consider an EV “big rig” when the state they live in is planning on eliminating diesel one day, aka Cali?

The Silverado EV and CT are full size and offer 14k towing
We have not heard about the 2500/250 size PU plans
This will be interesting to see how GM and Ford provide
Let alone 3500/350….

They are only eliminating “sale of” doesn’t mean you can’t drive or register a purchase.

That law is never going to happen, it’ll be taken off the books as it comes closer to 2035

Trucks come in so many different configurations and the aftermarket is massive. The Silverado has a 10,000 pound towing capacity but a low payload capacity for a full size pickup. The Cybertruck is supposed to have 14K towing with 3000 payload capacity. That 3000-payload capacity will depend on options on the Truck. How large of a battery pack would you need for towing 18 to 20 thousand pounds? I think batteries have a long ways to go to even get near the towing range of a Diesel. I feel that the technology is there for most cars to be electric . I think New York, Oregon and Washington plan on banning Diesel and Gas Trucks by 2030 to 2035. Even towing companies will have to get their vehicles from different States.

1688605080296.png

Reactions: kpanda17
Think delivery event Aug or sept
Most companies avoid events in Aug due to summer vacations by consumers
This will be exciting for last delivery event for anything by Tesla was for the Semi 12/2022
Hopefully that is when we will get actual pricing and specs and end all speculation.

I highly doubt any non-employee deliveries will be made. I think it will be like the Semi-MYAWD events where a handful of employees receive one.

Reactions: GSP