Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The $54,000 Paperweight (Registration problems)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I architect and design infrastructure that allows sites like TMC and the Internet to operate.

The fundamentals don't change in any case.

1 - You are overreacting.
2 - No one here can extend your registration.
3 - Make a stop to Tesla. Have them fix it or write you a note. Or you can nicely ask for a loaner so registration is not an issue.
4 - Stop at DMV yourself if necessary.

Done.
I really don’t care what you do for a living, you’re still acting like an idiot. You may think I’m over-reacting, tough. I never asked anyone on this forum to extend my registration. Where did you get such an idea? I’m using the phone and emails up to now because I’m unable to stop by in person. The job thing can get in the way. Tesla said no to a loaner. I don’t need a rental. Getting a rental or a loaner does not solve the problem, you should know this. I should stop by the DMV to have them tell me what they already said on the phone? Sigh…

...a loaner...

Excellent idea!

Tesla needs to fix this problem even if it's third party's fault. Just hold the third party responsible or fire them and do it in-house. Take control the same way as it did ing bringing the Model X Falcon Wing, Tesla seats, body shops in-house...

In-house staff must learn how to send owner an EDRS when needed...

But in the meantime, a loaner is a must!

I really don’t care what you do for a living, you’re still acting like an idiot. You may think I’m over-reacting, tough. I never asked anyone on this forum to extend my registration. Where did you get such an idea? I’m using the phone and emails up to now because I’m unable to stop by in person. The job thing can get in the way. Tesla said no to a loaner. I don’t need a rental. Getting a rental or a loaner does not solve the problem, you should know this. I should stop by the DMV to have them tell me what they already said on the phone? Sigh…

Yes I am acting like an idiot. Apologies for trivializing your issues, as you are the one going through them.

A rental or a loaner buys you time which is what you need to address your expired registration. It's fair as well. You lost use of a vehicle, Tesla provides you one to use.

I think trying to sue them is over-reactionary but maybe our tolerance level is different. In any case, good luck. Hope Tesla does right by you and you are not forced to go through DMV yourself to get things done.

Last edited:
Thank

Thanks Tam. The first time I opened the pdf, it only loaded the first page. I’ll call the DMV to see if they’ll register the car with this document. It is not the EDRS but I’ll see what they say.
I would also ask the DMV about temp tags. I assume your plate request is flowing through some 1/2 baked 3rd party process. You just need to buy time while that happens. You also don’t want two plates.

Excellent idea!

Tesla needs to fix this problem even if it's third party's fault. Just hold the third party responsible or fire them and do it in-house. Take control the same way as it did ing bringing the Model X Falcon Wing, Tesla seats, body shops in-house...

In-house staff must learn how to send owner an EDRS when needed...

But in the meantime, a loaner is a must!

I agree completely. According to Caroline, they fired the first third party responsible for registering vehicles and hired someone else. It seems this second third party is as competent as the first. I don’t need a rental or a loaner, I have another truck I can drive. The thing that gets me is Tesla doesn’t seem to care.

As for the EDRS, the Nevada DMV customer service doesn’t answer phones on Saturday. I’ll have to stop by the office with the purchase agreement to see if they will accept it. The Vegas Tesla dealer opens soon, I’ll call them again before making an appearance.

It's an issue but no one that warrants the level of vitriol and drama.

They failed to get his tags issued, they won't send him the documentation to do it himself, and they keep promising to take care of it and then do nothing. He is left with a car he cannot drive legally. Yes, I think it warrants some "vitriol and drama."

Tesla in my experience treats its customers better than almost any other company, but they've failed him in this case and he's justified in being upset.

Do you know how many Model 3s are roaming all over the country on temporary plates? No one will catch you unless you do something foolish.

Telling someone to drive illegally is not an appropriate response to an issue. Sure, he might get away with it. You might get away with robbing a bank, also, but I'm not going to tell you to go rob a bank because lots of other people do it and sometimes they get away with it. Sure, most of us would agree that driving without the proper registration is a less serious crime than robbing a bank, but either way there are risks.

Tesla needs to deal with this and compensate him for the month he's been unable to use his car. Maybe give him free EAP if he didn't already pay for that, or FSD if he didn't pay for that.

To the OP: Somehow, you need to get past the incompetent or overworked people in NV and talk to someone at the national headquarters.

Reactions: chr147 and Petra
And you are acting like a spoiled brat. Find out if you can extend the Temp plate

You deserve each other

I find it oddly funny that I'm living rent free in your head.

No need to drag @JNB11 into it.

Adults realize sometimes they overstep and make amends accordingly.

Getting triggered and acting out passive aggressively is not being an adult. We can head to PMs if you have something you want to address or dabate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pollux and kavyboy
I think this is where Tesla's no-dealership strategy comes back to bite them in the a$$. See when you have multiple competing dealers in the same area, if a dealer consistently pulls crap like this, it would quickly (1) lose market share to other dealers in sales and service and (2) risk the supply relationship with the manufacturer. Without dealers, there's simply no economic incentive for a regional delivery center to improve customer service as the buyer is essentially tied to that center--what do thy have to lose if they screw up the registration paperwork? It's not like there's another center down the road thats gonna steal their business. The customer still has to go back to them to service their cars and everything else. This problem would probably become worse as more and more Model 3s are sold. I don't think the mainstream buyers will be that tolerant.

Last edited:
They failed to get his tags issued, they won't send him the documentation to do it himself, and they keep promising to take care of it and then do nothing. He is left with a car he cannot drive legally. Yes, I think it warrants some "vitriol and drama."

Tesla in my experience treats its customers better than almost any other company, but they've failed him in this case and he's justified in being upset.

Telling someone to drive illegally is not an appropriate response to an issue. Sure, he might get away with it. You might get away with robbing a bank, also, but I'm not going to tell you to go rob a bank because lots of other people do it and sometimes they get away with it. Sure, most of us would agree that driving without the proper registration is a less serious crime than robbing a bank, but either way there are risks.

Tesla needs to deal with this and compensate him for the month he's been unable to use his car. Maybe give him free EAP if he didn't already pay for that, or FSD if he didn't pay for that.

To the OP: Somehow, you need to get past the incompetent or overworked people in NV and talk to someone at the national headquarters.

I agree with you. To clarify I meant one drive to Tesla to get it fixed or get a loaner. Flatbed towing was what I felt was overkill.

Headquarters doesn’t work on weekends I bet. Calling Tesla won’t help right now, they are overwhelmed.

Did you try to look up in your Tesla Account webpage?

Did you click on "Manage->View Vehicle Details->Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement?

It shows clearly item by item of the cost including all taxes, fees, DMV fees on the line "Vechicle License Fees" and also Regestration/transfer/titling fees...

upload_2018-8-18_7-55-1-png.326679

On the last page: There's a declaration that you need to print out, date and sign it:

View attachment 328819

This was helpful to know.

I didn't know what EDRS stood for so googled it and in many states it stands for Electronic Death Registration System. Took me a few links below these several state references to find Electronic Dealer Report of Sale.

OP I hope your license plates arrive asap. Yes, shouldn't happen and someone at Tesla should be putting a fire under this 3rd party.

Calif DMV is really overwhelmed and known for long waits and I have heard other states DMVs are too. But can't see NV being in that situation. Hopefully processed quickly at that end. BTW I would not want to chance driving on expired tags either.

Last edited:
I think this is where Tesla's no-dealership strategy comes back to bite them in the a$$. See when you have multiple competing dealers in the same area, if a dealer consistently pulls crap like this, it would quickly (1) lose market share to other dealers in sales and service and (2) risk the supply relationship with the manufacturer. Without dealers, there's simply no economic incentive for a regional delivery center to improve customer service as the buyer is essentially tied to that center--what do thy have to lose if they screw up the registration paperwork? It's not like there's another center down the road thats gonna steal their business. The customer still has to go back to them to service their cars and everything else. This problem would probably become worse as more and more Model 3s are sold. I don't think the mainstream buyers will be that tolerant.

Based on my experience overall, I'll take Tesla's system over dealerships any day. Yes, there may be tradeoffs, and there's no excuse for how the OP has been treated, but dealerships have a terrible history of making the purchase of a car into a nightmare. My two Tesla purchases have been delightful compared to other cars I've bought. There's a reason why car salespeople have such a bad reputation: The system is designed to be opaque, confusing, and plagued with hard-sell pitches for worthless crap, and the purchase price is obscured in every possible way and requires you to be a skilled negotiator or else over-pay. The salespeople work on commission and their livelihood depends on squeezing every dime out of you. Tesla has a flat price for everything and nobody tries to talk you into options you don't want. The options are published and you make up your mind away from the pressure of a salesperson.

Reactions: Pollux
You wrote that the title was issued, so your state says you own the vehicle.

Given they know you own it, and that they'd have the Title Application paperwork, I'd suggest you try to contact the DMV, get Registrations to speak to Titles to confirm and try to get a temporary registration issued. Depending on the togetherness of the DMV's *sugar*, they should be able to hook you up as long as they have or can provide some kind of paperwork.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pollux
As for the EDRS, the Nevada DMV customer service doesn’t answer phones on Saturday. I’ll have to stop by the office with the purchase agreement to see if they will accept it. The Vegas Tesla dealer opens soon, I’ll call them again before making an appearance.
There is no such thing as a Tesla dealership.

Your car and purchaser details are known to the authorities; after all, you DO have a Temp plate.
I don't think your local office will issue title and permanent plates without the MCO because they use that to figure out taxes, but extending the Temp plate is not a documentation problem.

Based on my experience overall, I'll take Tesla's system over dealerships any day. Yes, there may be tradeoffs, and there's no excuse for how the OP has been treated, but dealerships have a terrible history of making the purchase of a car into a nightmare. My two Tesla purchases have been delightful compared to other cars I've bought. There's a reason why car salespeople have such a bad reputation: The system is designed to be opaque, confusing, and plagued with hard-sell pitches for worthless crap, and the purchase price is obscured in every possible way and requires you to be a skilled negotiator or else over-pay. The salespeople work on commission and their livelihood depends on squeezing every dime out of you. Tesla has a flat price for everything and nobody tries to talk you into options you don't want. The options are published and you make up your mind away from the pressure of a salesperson.

True, but they can keep the flat pricing structure while introducing competition in the post-delivery stage. A simple strategy is to franchise out the delivery and service centers. Think about McDonald's. The pricing is exactly the same and you don't have to deal with the sleazy salespeople, yet different franchises would compete for the sales and service volume by differentiating themselves with high-quality customer service. A win-win in my book.

Tesla in my experience treats its customers better than almost any other company, but they've failed him in this case and he's justified in being upset

My experience is the total opposite. Buying a Tesla was a horrible experience compared to a dealership. They suck at communication and have a long way to go with customer service.

OP
Getting the registration stuff done with the state is a basic part of selling a car and they failed. No excuses for it, they failed in this case. I hope they take care of you quickly.

Reactions: chr147
Texas also has a temporary plate process, as do other states I have lived in. Perhaps Nevada does too?

Tesla outsources this stuff. They need to get the company to step it up. It could also be the DMV struggling with higher registration rates.

Anyway, when I got my S tesla said it would be right at 30 days for the plates. They said call if not in and they would get another temp plate for me. Plates did come on the day the temp expired. Perhaps I was lucky.
This is interesting. I've purchased a lot of cars since 72. Generally I pull my plates off my car, generally trade-ins, and put them on the new car. So long as you have your registration for the car you traded and the bill of sale, you are good. Go to your local DMV and do a transfer with your registration and bill of sale. Even though I am taking delivery at Mt Kisco, NY, they will pay CT tax on the purchase. I don't see why that won't work in whatever state. Perhaps check DMV in your state before you take delivery. While title goes to the new owner, the plates are in your name, you keep them and the registration.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
There is no such thing as a Tesla dealership.

Your car and purchaser details are known to the authorities; after all, you DO have a Temp plate.
I don't think your local office will issue title and permanent plates without the MCO because they use that to figure out taxes, but extending the Temp plate is not a documentation problem.
No such thing as a Tesla dealership? News to me, and the customer service rep I just finished talking to. She told me it would do no good to go to the dealer today because all the delivery managers would be unavailable.

Went to the DMV while I spent an unproductive 1.5 hours on the phone with Tesla, I was promised a call from a manager, didn’t happen of course. Right before I talked to the DMV information receptionist, Tesla customer service called me for once and said I was screwed until Monday. She said it in a polite manner actually but there was nothing to be done unless a delivery manager was on duty. When I got to the desk the lady said the car was not registered but the EDRS had arrived and the DMV was waiting for me to register the car, not some person with a POA. I showed her the amount I was charged for registration that I had paid to Tesla but she was unimpressed and said I’d have to pay the $760 again if I wanted plates. Any bets on whether or not Tesla will refund the money I paid for registration?

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865