Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Best Tesla 3 Accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that particular product is just taking advantage of the fact that people are use to putting those things on their phones. I can’t think of any scenario where you'd accidentally crack the screen in your car short of having a major accident. Unless you're swinging a hammer around in there how would you crack the screen in such a way that a tempered glass protector would save it? Maybe if you leaned on it really hard with the palm of you hand, but tempered glass is meant more to protect against quick impact not crushing force. So it's likely the unerlying screen would still crack in that scenario.
Somewhere I read (possibly in this forum) that someone hit the center screen with the corner of their phone and cracked the center screen. Also, if you get into an accident there is a decent chance that you may hit the screen. A protector might help in both scenarios. That said, I do not have my center screen protected.

Does the screen really need a protector? I don't even use one of those on my phone and that's something I could potentially drop face down on the ground. Why would a stationary screen in a car need a protector? And if you did damage it somehow wouldn't it be something that would be covered by your insurance?

I don't have one for my phone, but I do for the Tesla. I mainly got it for the anti-glare and reduced fingerprints.

I think that particular product is just taking advantage of the fact that people are use to putting those things on their phones. I can’t think of any scenario where you'd accidentally crack the screen in your car short of having a major accident. Unless you're swinging a hammer around in there how would you crack the screen in such a way that a tempered glass protector would save it? Maybe if you leaned on it really hard with the palm of you hand, but tempered glass is meant more to protect against quick impact not crushing force. So it's likely the unerlying screen would still crack in that scenario.

Many of these products help people feel that their investment is protected, or more effective. I’ve modded several cars, including the cold air intake on my 98 Civic that gave me 50 more psychological horsepower. Then headers, coil overs, and decided a supercharger would do the trick. It was a fast car, but that was when I decided to buy faster cars and leave them pretty much stock. It’s pretty natural to want to protect and improve your car, but I’ve kinda been through all that with previous cars

I also have second thoughts about many “protection” accessories, and if I had a screen failure or malfunction, it seems possible that Tesla could blame it on a “non-Tesla” part attached to the failing screen. It’s all a personal choice. I wax my car every few months. Is ceramic the new Polyglycoat for people who remember Polyglycote ?
You might be surprised what can happen to the screen. And if you have a high deductable like I do, then you're gonna pay for a replacement even if you are insured.
As for ceramic, it's great IF you have the disposable income to pay for it AND all the paint correction they're gonna charge you for *before* they even put it on. And yes, even new cars may need at least some paint correction. It's very good for protecting from UV damage and chemicals (bird poop, pollution, etc), but they overhype it for stuff like chip protection (weak to none) and claiming you'll hardly ever have to wash your car. In fact, you'll have to be very careful about how you wash your car or you'll void whatever warranty they give you for the coating. If you can do paint correction yourself, then you can do the DIY ceramic coating. It won't last quite as long as pro application, but most people get a solid year out of it from what I've read.

As for must haves: I second the ceramic tint. I also recommend replacing the door puddle lights and the trunk lights with after market LEDs. The stock lights are really dim. I also got a rear trunk sill cover in stainless steel. It's very easy to scratch the truck sill when you're sliding big objects in and out, like luggage, etc. The cover looks good and is harder to scratch being metal and all.