Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Curious Case of our Model 3 delayed-delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The knob on the plug would not activate the charging flap. I opened the charge port from the charging screen.

Do you know if this is because the button on the plug handle is not supposed to open the 3's charge port, or if it's because you used the UMC from an S/X? There is a video posted from one of the early recipients that shows the charge port opening from the button press on the handle.

I wonder if this is mostly a problem because they don't normally do home deliveries for the Model 3. (And maybe they shouldn't have offered it.)

So many people want 'White Glove' service and many feel they are entitled to it. Everyone can claim having a busy personal schedule necessitating a home delivery.

I suspect Tesla will and should charge for Home Delivery @ a per hour rate.

He did send an email to me thanking me for my "patients." A younger version of myself would have replied stating that I am not a doctor.

Tesla must improve their internal controls over production, sales, and delivery. The general public will quickly lose patience and look elsewhere for electric vehicles. That day is arriving quickly.

I find the self-entitlement displayed amazing
  • I want Home Delivery
  • I want Internal Controls to Improve at Tesla
  • I Did Not Pay for the Cost of Improved Internal Controls over Production, Sales, and Delivery
  • I can see all that needs improving at Tesla 'given their past history of feckless inaction'

Enjoy your new car cpa.... Surprisingly Tesla has a great way of tracking customer activity. Hope they remember how you thought of them.

Last edited:
That Louis ck bit is great.

Lexus from another nearby state delivered a lightly used! car (sight unseen.. although they did a custom video of it and emailed me that to review) to my office and we did all paperwork in 15 minutes... They emailed paperwork to me beforehand for me to review. Didn't even try to sell me rustproofing or pinstriping. It was very smooth.

I don't think the marginal cost to do home/office deliveries is all that much and I think it buys them lots of customer goodwill. Probably worth doing for customers not near a sales location.

Do you know if this is because the button on the plug handle is not supposed to open the 3's charge port, or if it's because you used the UMC from an S/X? There is a video posted from one of the early recipients that shows the charge port opening from the button press on the handle.

I used the UMC from our S. The charge port on the S opened, from the six-foot distance, but the 3 charge port did not. I have not taken the Model 3 UMC out of its bag yet. I am waiting to swap out the plug from 15A to 20A to charge the M3. My wife might drive 50 miles or so per week, so we don't need a 240/40 set up that we have for the S.

Enjoy your new car
Unfortunately there are some people who will never enjoy their model 3 due to unrealistic expectations, feelings of entitlement, don't take the time to learn how the systems of the car work, or are just too busy to enjoy a car. My garage is already set up to charge my car on arrival with the supplied charging equipment. I spend to much time on these fora learning about every nuance of this amazing car. I can operate it in my sleep. These owners are getting TWO tax credits, one for their MS and one for their 3. I am hoping to qualify for just one tax credit if I can get my car soon enough. If not, it is not a deal breaker for me. I understand this is a beta car and I am willing to tolerate all the inconveniences and provide feedback in order to be a pioneer adopter of an important step into the FUTURE.

Tesla, I would like my car now even if goes missing in transit. I will drive hundreds of miles, at my expense, to get it. And I will be grateful.

So many people want 'White Glove' service and many feel they are entitled to it. Everyone can claim having a busy personal schedule necessitating a home delivery.

He did send an email to me thanking me for my "patients." A younger version of myself would have replied stating that I am not a doctor.

Tesla must improve their internal controls over production, sales, and delivery. The general public will quickly lose patience and look elsewhere for electric vehicles. That day is arriving quickly.

• I want Home Delivery
  • I Did Not Pay for the Cost of Improved Internal Controls over Production, Sales, and Delivery
  • I can see all that needs improving at Tesla 'given their past history of feckless inaction'

Enjoy your new car cpa.... Surprisingly Tesla has a great way of tracking customer activity. Hope they remember how you thought of them.
You left out the obligatory, "Get off my lawn! Darn kids." :p

Seriously, it is amazing what can be done nowadays. And we get to hear all kinds of opinions from others, due to the internet. What a wonderful world!

That guy's delivery is amazing. Great clip.

I bought a Mercedes at one point because I respected myself. At that time in my life, I had just learned how to treat myself well. This was by far one of the healthiest things I ever did to my entire life. During that time, I would not put up with any type of thing that wasn't above the top treatment I could get. It did a lot of really great things for me. Since I was brand new to that way of thinking, I realized it would probably become part of my psyche, get integrated in, and slowly start to integrate into a normal way of balance in all the way the world works and I work. Looking back at that time now, I loved it, and it has indeed turned into a thing where I have a much greater level of balance in my life than when I was younger and basically everyone walked all over me. Now, I give and take, pay and get paid, etc. Of course, it helps I make more money than I used to.

My point is that just because CK has great delivery doesn't mean that he is entirely correct. Being treated well is a good thing, and something to strive for. It is something that should be asked for when it is appropriate. It is something that when it is missing, should be counted and accounted as missing. I find all of this perfectly acceptable. Then, when you get to the next step, ok, that other stuff happened however it did, but you get to make your future decisions based on whether or not the prior things worked well.

There's nothing wrong with saying something you paid a large amount of money for didn't arrive as scheduled. That's definitely true when all the current purchasers are Gamma testers, and they are getting the company up to speed in coming into a new product market segment that we want it to do well in.

I'm willing to bet cpa's family is enjoying their Model 3.

@MP3Mike -
Anyone asked Chevy for a home delivery? How'd that go?
Anyone ever had ANY car home delivered other than a Tesla - please tell us how it went. Dealer sales person drive the car to your home?
I've had my last 2 sub-40k cars delivered to my driveway. Once for a longish delivery (Portland->Seattle) It should have added $200 to the bill, but the Mercedes waived it.

--I plugged in our UMC from the Model S into the Model 3 to charge a little bit. The knob on the plug would not activate the charging flap. I opened the charge port from the charging screen. The Model S UMC was a much tighter fit into the charge receptacle that is on the Model S. The miniature "T" logo that flashes is cool!
I use my original UMC to charge my 3 and haven't had a problem with the button opening the flap. In fact, if I press the button it will open up the charge port on the S simultaneously which is much further away (one car pulled in forward and other backed in). You can also press the flap and it will open rather than opening from screen assuming your phone is within vicinity to unlock the car.

• I want Home Delivery

Apparently he felt he was entitled to sexually harass women. So what would you say to someone who lives 2 hours from the nearest SC which is in another country, 3 hours from the nearest one which is in another state, and 7 hours from the nearest one in state?