Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Key Fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, the fob on my bmw does this and then i know to plug it into the receptacle in the dash for a day or two to charge it... not an option on the model s, but at least a definitive 'you need to change the fob battery' message would be helpful...

My comfort key requires a battery and does NOT charge by plugging in, even though the non comfort keys do charge. It does, however, communicate with the car and notifies it if it has a low batt state. A message pops on the dash display to let me know to change the battery in the key fob. The car also communicates with the key and registers the mileage and any faults so that it can be read at the dealership.

NO Tech Pkg:

Do we still get a FOB but have to deal with a subset of Fob issues, or do we get a KEY (ala Roadster) that would be universally understood?

I have not noticed any keyholes on any ModelS doors - DOH! I was guessing an emergency keyhole located somewhere like Roadster. And maybe a keyhole on the steering column to turn car ON? I can dream, can't I??
--

Jeez. Whatever happened to the "key". LOL I jest, of course. I love technology and the cool things it can do, but sometimes (not saying in this case in particular) you really don't have to reinvent the wheel. Nevermind the extending handles for arguments sake, if you had memory position settings buttons on the inside of the door and just had to slide a simple key into a slot to "start" the car, would it cause anyone to decide not to buy?

Jeez. Whatever happened to the "key". LOL I jest, of course. I love technology and the cool things it can do, but sometimes (not saying in this case in particular) you really don't have to reinvent the wheel. Nevermind the extending handles for arguments sake, if you had memory position settings buttons on the inside of the door and just had to slide a simple key into a slot to "start" the car, would it cause anyone to decide not to buy?

Nope, but having used a keyless system on our Audi, I much prefer it. Key never leaves the pocket. Touch the door to open. Press a button to start the car. I find myself walking up to our car that DOESN'T have it and pulling on the handle like an idiot before I realize what I'm doing.

Once you go keyless you'll never go back. I hate having to use a key w/ the Roadster after having the keyless system on my Corvette. Key's are a pain.

Once you go keyless you'll never go back. I hate having to use a key w/ the Roadster after having the keyless system on my Corvette. Key's are a pain.

+1. Whenever I have to drive a car with a key, it reminds me of the Star Trek movie where Scotty tries to talk to the mouse. "Put the key in the ignition. How quaint."

For three days now I've gotten a message of "Key not in car" when I attempt to drive. The fix, according to TM Service, is to put the key fob on the dashboard near the VIN. It works, but is irritating. I know that the area beneath the 17" screen is a "dead zone" for the key - I was afraid that TM was going to tell me that the area below my waist near my pocket was also a "dead zone."

For three days now I've gotten a message of "Key not in car" when I attempt to drive. The fix, according to TM Service, is to put the key fob on the dashboard near the VIN. It works, but is irritating.

Based on what I've read I believe that's the recommendation for a fob with a low battery. It certainly shouldn't be necessary on a regular basis.

I know that the area beneath the 17" screen is a "dead zone" for the key

I keep my pursue in the center console area without any problems, so any dead zone below the screen must be relatively limited in area. Our prior remote entry system didn't like having its key immediately adjacent to a cell phone, so I'd assume the Tesla is similar. You don't keep both in the same pocket, do you?

For three days now I've gotten a message of "Key not in car" when I attempt to drive. The fix, according to TM Service, is to put the key fob on the dashboard near the VIN. It works, but is irritating. I know that the area beneath the 17" screen is a "dead zone" for the key - I was afraid that TM was going to tell me that the area below my waist near my pocket was also a "dead zone."

recommend a new fob battery...

Our prior remote entry system didn't like having its key immediately adjacent to a cell phone, so I'd assume the Tesla is similar. You don't keep both in the same pocket, do you?

I've seen the "no key" message a couple of times, and for me it's 100% correlated with having my fob in the same pocket as my phone (iPhone5), and in particular, when it's in my left pocket.

The way things settle in my pocket, the fob is usually behind the phone and its aluminum back, so the phone might block the path, assuming a transponder for the key is in the center console somewhere.

I try to keep the fob and phone in different pockets now, and haven't seen the issue since.

/Mitch.

I have to agree with MitchL. I've seen this message numerous times, and I think there is a correlation with the key being in the pocket next to my cell phone. I just tested the battery in the fob, and it was at 3.04V, which should be fine. To think I almost wasted $2.00 on (6) batteries including shipping on ebay!

I've had the same problem with the keyfob of our 2010 Prius. If it was to close to my iPhone, the car would not recognize it. Must be interfering with it's signal when it's in close proximity to a cell phone.

I've seen the "no key" message a couple of times, and for me it's 100% correlated with having my fob in the same pocket as my phone (iPhone5), and in particular, when it's in my left pocket.

The way things settle in my pocket, the fob is usually behind the phone and its aluminum back, so the phone might block the path, assuming a transponder for the key is in the center console somewhere.

I try to keep the fob and phone in different pockets now, and haven't seen the issue since.

/Mitch.

I agree with Mitch, I have had the same error when my fob is the same pocket as my galaxy nexus phone. Even when walking up the the car, it delays the auto presenting of the handles if its in the same pocket as my phone.

"Frequency Operated Button" doesn't make any sense. It sounds like someone inventing a fictitious acronym — and not even bothering to think very hard about it. The frequency doesn't operate the button; your finger does. A more sensible fictitious acronym would be "Finger Operated Button".

fob 1 (fb)
n.
1. A small pocket at the front waistline of a man's trousers or in the front of a vest, used especially to hold a watch.
a. A short chain or ribbon attached to a pocket watch and worn hanging in front of the vest or waist.
b. An ornament or seal attached to such a chain or ribbon.
[Probably akin to Low German "Fobke", meaning small pocket.]