Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The longest service/repair ever...need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it.

Well for those new guys like you and I, I'd highly suggest tracking this thread http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/my-brand-new-car-needs-service-updated-914--nightmare a new model S owner is going through after a few weeks into ownership.

All I can hope is Tesla is waking up on quality.

It's simple, they keep pumping out poor quality cars (no matter how nice they are to offer to fix), they will see sales tank.

I hope that won't be the case.

Cautiously awaiting my P85+.

I hear you brother. The last thing I want is for Tesla to blow it. I'll go read that thread...

Update: Yikes... Now I'm getting scared... :D

Last edited:
Does anyone know if these factory issues are much higher than those from other manufacturers? One would expect them to be (to start at least) given new model on a new line but hopefully not much higher given the price of the car. If stories like these were the norm, I think we'd hear a lot more about it than we do. They still need to tighten up QC from these reports of course.

Does anyone know if these factory issues are much higher than those from other manufacturers? One would expect them to be (to start at least) given new model on a new line but hopefully not much higher given the price of the car. If stories like these were the norm, I think we'd hear a lot more about it than we do. They still need to tighten up QC from these reports of course.

My last 6 cars (all over $100k) in the last 4 years never, ever visited the service center. Porsche (3), Audi (2) and MB (1).

What I am noticing with Tesla is, it's not a matter of if, but when you need to take to service. Albeit some of the things may be 'small' the fact is you are spending your time going to SC. I wonder if ANY Tesla owners never had to go to SC within the first 90 days of ownership?

I will start a thread on that--as truly every new owner I have read is back in the shop (for whatever reason) within days or weeks of taking possession.

Now that is NOT high quality if you ask me.

My last 6 cars (all over $100k) in the last 4 years never, ever visited the service center. Porsche (3), Audi (2) and MB (1).

What I am noticing with Tesla is, it's not a matter of if, but when you need to take to service. Albeit some of the things may be 'small' the fact is you are spending your time going to SC. I wonder if ANY Tesla owners never had to go to SC within the first 90 days of ownership?

I will start a thread on that--as truly every new owner I have read is back in the shop (for whatever reason) within days or weeks of taking possession.

Are you really thinking of canceling? From what I know of you, I find that impossible to believe. You seem almost more psyched to get yours than I do. :D

Side Note: Sometimes you're almost better off NOT going to online forums about products you want to buy... You always seem to find out more than you wanted to know... FWIW, I hope the OP gets his car fixed to his satisfaction. I'm willing to put up with some problems as this is a new company, but I hope there aren't too many of them. ;)

this thread is about the OP's car..... demo/used...

Okay I'll type slower--r e r e a d the other posts (earlyretirement and splunge) in the thread that are complaining about 1 -2 months in shop as well they are N E W cars--that's what I'm referring to. Please read entire thread before replying. As I highlighted in my post you just replied to.

Make sense now?

I think you're chasing a problem that simply isn't there. But that's just my opinion. (People post about issues, they don't post about having no issues.)

In any case, the topic of THIS thread is not Tesla factory quality or anything other than the OP asking for advice regarding what he should do on his specific situation. Could we get back on-topic, folks? (Start new threads for other topics, if desired.)

Well my car is one of the first 100 made and didn't need to go back to the service center during that time period. I've had things like the cubby shelf installed (came out after I got my car). My car is just one out of 20,000 though.

We know the car is designed well and seems to be well built (crash tests) but QC and other issues seem to still be an issue. There hasn't been a new car company attempting what Tesla is doing in decades so not much to compare it to other than established brands with decades of experience. That doesn't give Tesla a free pass as they have to be better than everyone else to succeed but does put it in context. It is how Tesla responds to these issues and if they are working to reduce them that should be the main focus at this point.

looks pretty bad in that pic, these types of things should certainly be addressed by Tesla, if it takes too long, start the Lemon Law procedure and get a new one...

as for paint chips and such I think that's part of a demo car purchase...

First of all, it's offensive to suggest that I would make up a story like this. Do you really think I have time to play games on a chat board? Here is a photo of the rear of my car my my garage BEFORE Tesla's last round of repairs. Take a look at the gap below the rear hatch. Also, you can clearly see that the tail light on the right side is way out of alignment. It doesn't look exactly like this now. They repositioned the lift gate and it lines up a little better on the right side but it's just not right on the left now and at the bottom.QUOTE]

That little misalignment issue would not be a big deal to me... Especially if I'd bought the car used, for a huge discount. You also say it's not even THAT bad now. I really can't see what you are so upset about. It's barely noticeable.

You should work for the Tesla service center. You would be good in the position...just keep telling the customer that everything is fine. "No worries...it's barely noticeable". It's easy to critique someone else but let's see how happy you are when your car shows up. I guarantee you that if you had mine it would be a BIG DEAL to you. What you can't see easily from the photo is that the bottom of the hatch lid was actually flared out past the bottom piece. Even the service manager said this didn't look right. You seriously have to be blind not to see the misalignment here.

Anyway...what it boils down to is that I was promised a car in "like new" condition and was told REPEATEDLY that the car would be indistinguishable from a new car aside from the display reading 10,000 miles (which it didn't--it had 11,000 miles on it when they delivered it to me). I didn't raise a stink about the additional THOUSAND miles the car had on it when it was delivered...I let that one go.

looks pretty bad in that pic, these types of things should certainly be addressed by Tesla, if it takes too long, start the Lemon Law procedure and get a new one...

as for paint chips and such I think that's part of a demo car purchase...
Yeah, I'd expect a bit of wear (like paint scratches, chips) as part of getting a demo unit, but that trunk alignment is way out of whack. All that said, Tesla said they'd fix the paint issues, so obviously it should be done. Tesla needs to set realistic expectations here and it appears they were a bit optimistic and also given that they had to switch body shops that was an unexpected delay.

Seems that there's a couple options here:

1. Either accept the car as is.
2. At some point either Tesla will say "can't be fixed" or johnyoung1234 will say "taking too long" or "can't be fixed as agreed" and refund the purchase.

Either way - hope it all works out!

Hope this gets worked out

- - - Updated - - -

This sounds great on paper but it simply doesn't work. My car was $83k but the taxes and tags were another $5k = $88k. Then take into account that I would lose the $7,250 Federal tax credit and would be ineligible for a subsequent credit and state credit. Now the investment in the car is closer to $98k. Then factor in that I would have to pay taxes on the sale to the state and there is absolutely NO WAY to sell the car for $95k and make any money. Anyone who thinks so is bad at math. I would lose money selling the car at $95k.

The tax credits would roll into your new car so you could, at a minimum break even. You seem to be adding the tax credits to the car instead of removing them from the $83k, but regardless it would go to your new one.

I agree this kind of nonsense should be seen at the factory, but may I suggest there is also a reason you paid 83k for a 100k car.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla spent a whopping $7500, the lobbyist collected more than $1M from TADA and large Tx Auto dealers to 'take care of' Texas Legislators. So, no, Tesla didn't spend anything in comparison. Different subject for different forum.

That would be something... if it were true, but it is not.

You can take your pinky finger and insert part of it in the seam between the lift gate and body on the left side of the car. However, you can't do it on the right because the fit is much tighter. ... Also, if you were to take a finger and run it down the left tail light you can see that the body piece below the light is flared out about 1/8"-1/4". The right side however is perfectly flat and even with the right tail light--no problems.

This sounds like (and looks like) the car has been hit. They would have to disclose IF they knew about it. If someone backed into something they wouldn't necessarily know that it happened.

In reading your story I am hearing my grandmother say "Cheap is expensive". At some point you're going to have to realize you paid $23,000.00 less for a car and in that desire to save money, you missed some damage you should have seen, and took a car that was for all intents and purposes used. It happens, but you didn't pay $118,000.00, so one could argue that you got what you paid for. If you're really that upset about it, perhaps they will let you trade for a new car?

- - - Updated - - -

Feel free to correct any incorrect info with details.

Here's where I'm getting my info:

http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2013/09/10/why-tesla-lost-the-fight-to-sell-cars-in-texas/

Tesla spent hundreds of thousands to lobby, they just didn't directly buy politicians.

Will they let you buy your loaner for a slight discount if you like it?

I doubt it. They probably figure they've given me enough of a discount already. I'm not sure how this is going to play out. It's frustrating. I want to add that everyone at Tesla has been nice and understanding so far. Nathan in Rockville is a really nice guy and it's hard to be mad at him or anyone else. It's too bad I can't talk with the body shop directly and ask them why it's so hard to fix the car. Two body shops and no acceptable fix.

Someone asked me earlier which body shop it was and the first one was in Annapolis. That's the one that Tesla isn't using anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

If it was never titled before he owned it (would bet Tesla demo vehicles are not titled because they are owned by manufacturer), it's not a used car technically. Johnny was it ever titled?

It was never titled previously. It's actually a 2012 VIN but was sold as a "new" 2013 to me.

If it was never titled before he owned it (would bet Tesla demo vehicles are not titled because they are owned by manufacturer), it's not a used car technically. Johnny was it ever titled?

Exactly. That is how Tesla is selling the cars in their Loaner inventory. They told me that any cars will still be eligible for the tax credit.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt it. They probably figure they've given me enough of a discount already. I'm not sure how this is going to play out. It's frustrating. I want to add that everyone at Tesla has been nice and understanding so far. Nathan in Rockville is a really nice guy and it's hard to be mad at him or anyone else. It's too bad I can't talk with the body shop directly and ask them why it's so hard to fix the car. Two body shops and no acceptable fix.

Someone asked me earlier which body shop it was and the first one was in Annapolis. That's the one that Tesla isn't using anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

It was never titled previously. It's actually a 2012 VIN but was sold as a "new" 2013 to me.

Johny, look up Erick Pinzon, who used to be in the San Diego service center. He told me he got transferred to Rockville. He's a really nice guy and was really involved here locally with local owners. My guess is that guy will probably eventually be promoted to run the Rockville Center.

People post about issues, they don't post about having no issues.(Start new threads for other topics, if desired.)

I disagree. I posted many times before ever mentioning some of the problems my car has had and I still have not posted about all of the problems. People (including me) love their Tesla's. I think this leads many to overlook smaller issues. An example can be found here -http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/no-problems-list

That is a thread for people to post that have "no problems". However. last time I checked there were 15 posts in the thread that actually mentioned a problem (albeit minor in their eyes)! So these posters actually had a problem with the car but felt compelled to post that they didn't. I liken this to the original iPhone. It did some things so well compared to what came before it that most people overlooked its failings. (no app store, no copy/paste/ no 3G, no removeable battery, etc.). No doubt it was a popular phone and Apple changed the wireless phone game, but it still had problems. Some of the customers drank the kool-aid and couldn't possibly admit it wasn't absolutely perfect.