Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new nose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a matter of if people think it looks nice or not ... it's branding.

Tesla lost the brand image.

You would never see a Bentley or Rolls Royce dramatically change their grille.

Tesla should have kept the nose and, most importantly, the headlight LED pattern. That should be unique to Tesla, not the Model S.

Hugely disappointed that they lost their way.

The Tesla brand is not embodied in something superficial like the shape of the front of the car. It's much bigger than that: it's about being a superior, high quality car that is also electric and long range and promotes sustainable transportation. That is "the brand".
The Rolls Royce grille in fact has changed dramatically over the years and is simply an ornamental piece of metal that has no important function.

Tesla should have kept the nose and, most importantly, the headlight LED pattern. That should be unique to Tesla, not the Model S.

Last edited:

They've only made one in-house vehicle, and if the nose cone and headlight pattern were their most distinctive features...then the way was lost before the journey began.

The Tesla brand is not embodied in some thing superficial like the shape of the front of the car. It's much bigger than that: it's about being a superior, high quality car that is also electric and long range and promotes sustainable transportation. That is "the brand".
The Rolls Royce grille in fact has changed dramatically over the years and is simply an ornamental piece of metal that has no important function.
Then you don't recognize merchandising, marketing and branding.
There's nothing superficial about the front end of the Model S. It's instantly recognizable to all other Tesla drivers.
RR grille may have changed over the years but it's still instantly obvious. The Silver angel is still there. As is the logo.
Tesla should have maintained merchandising consistency.

Well, I really like the new nose and glad the pointless grill is history. I'm looking at possible images of the Apple car. One has a grill and it looks ridiculously old fashioned. The others do not. They look strange but for other reasons.
Apple Car Rumors, Pictures, Specs, and News | Digital Trends

The more educated and informed you get, the more ridiculous these half-assed-attempts from click-bait articles look like. I bet what the author did here was googled for apple car/icar and plastered those on this PoS article (confirmed !)

Then you don't recognize merchandising, marketing and branding.
There's nothing superficial about the front end of the Model S. It's instantly recognizable to all other Tesla drivers.
RR grille may have changed over the years but it's still instantly obvious. The Silver angel is still there. As is the logo.
Tesla should have maintained merchandising consistency.

It sure seems superficial to me, and thankfully to the people at Tesla too.

Why would you choose your electric car to look like an ICE?

What does it have to do with looking like an ICE? The 1997 Taurus is an ICE and has an equally uninspred front which looks like a weird fish mouth just like Model X does.

Tesla doesn't have to design a grille, but even a low-cw BEV can surely look more structured/featured than this sterile emptiness of a front.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not OK with drilling into the fascia to mount a front plate (nor have I done so with any car I've had even though a front plate is compulsory in OH - I keep it in the trunk).

Well you wouldn't get away with that over here for very long ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Looks infinitely better than the XC90 or Cayenne.

Thankfully, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Basically it looks like many do like it but many hate it... why not just make it an option? It's just a piece of plastic basically...

Sounds like a great idea for the aftermarket. I bet Tesla won't change it or offer different versions.
For me it would not be a showstopper, but I definitely wouldn't like to look at my car from the front if ever I owned an X. Just hope that the Model 3 iteration will bring back something a little more inspired. Again, I don't need a grille, fake or otherwise, but I appreciate a design that looks inspired. This one unfortunately does not.

- - - Updated - - -

The Model X nose fits with the car and has clean, modern, well-defined lines.

Sorry, but where does it have well defined lines? It looks as if they put masking tape over the gaps of a Model S style faux-grille and painted the whole thing body-coloured.
Or to be more precise, it looks as if they took a Model S front and just put body-coloured camo over it, as if there was a faux-grille still there underneath. Just weird.

Last edited:
I see what they are trying to do to modernize the look, but it looks haphazard and last-minute, rather than it's own design element. It just needs a little further attention - imho.

+1 Absolutely agree.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just going to leave this here ...

View attachment 96123

Or this:

passat.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I like the No Grill look. We don't need a grill, so why should the car look like it has one?

That is exactly the problem: it does look like it has one, just plastered over. I agree with all those who can't understand why - with a clean sheet to begin with - Tesla didn't come up with a really unique and beautiful design. Futuristic, no grille, yet appealing. Still, there's hope for Model 3 - several years worth of time to design something special yet more generally appealing. Which it has to, if it is intended for a large audience. The Model X after all is even more exclusive than the Model S in terms of who can afford one.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it interesting things seem to be binary here. Not liking the look of the front of the Model X does NOT mean that one desires a nose cone or a "grille". There are cars out there that pull off no grille without looking weird. There are also ICE vehicles out there that have no discernible front grille.

So it's not necessarily a "If you don't love the cone you must love dated ICEs and their grilles!" situation, which many seem to be painting it as.

+1 again and again

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, this is off-topic, but being an ornamental piece is a very important funtion of the grille in a Rolls Royce. More so than I think in any other marque.

The Model X front looks unfinished to me. I would have preferred this:
View attachment 96186

My photoshop skills are amateurish but the front looks less plain and more symmetric IMO.

I like it.

The idea is that the curved hood edge where the "T" is was curved to be the top of the nose cone. I think there just needs to be something to complete the 'thought' and bring symmetry to the curve. Otherwise, without the nose cone, the curved hood front is unnecessary.

I prefer it like this: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Maybe changing a little bit the curvature of the smile and customising a little bit more the bottom to make it more unique.

The new nose looks like lazy design, they just removed the bottom part, that's all they really did. The front face should be highly recognisable, distinctive and must look amazing, don't think they accomplished all of that.

What I really like are the new headlights, it's like looking into space.

Embedding:

WOT8rZY.jpg

I like it very much.