Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new nose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually like the direction they went with the X nose. If you really want to have the nosecone... just wrap it with vinyl. You know people are going to do it with CF or something to look like the S. That, and most people's license plates are going to be there.

36 seconds into the video, is footage taken from human standing height of the white Model X nose. It looks a lot better than in the webcast video (which was taken at an unrealistically low height).

Looks better there, but still unfinished. They got rid of the nose cone, but left the top arch that was part of it, which just makes what's below look incomplete IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you don't recognize merchandising, marketing and branding.
There's nothing superficial about the front end of the Model S. It's instantly recognizable to all other Tesla drivers.
RR grille may have changed over the years but it's still instantly obvious. The Silver angel is still there. As is the logo.
Tesla should have maintained merchandising consistency.

The Tesla T is equivalent to the flying whatever it is in a rolls. They can keep that while losing the vestigial tail of the nose cone.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks better there, but still unfinished. They got rid of the nose cone, but left the top arch that was part of it, which just makes what's below look incomplete IMO.

I agree. The mocks that put the T on the hood and leave no arch look better to me. That was apparently how they did the prototype MS, so they must have taken it away for some reason (some have suggested to mimic a grille to make people feel comfortable with it, but that's obviously not the reason they didn't return to it with the MX since faux-grille is gone).

• Disagree
Reactions: Texas
I for one like the new front-end having seen it in person at the event. I did hear some people say that it looked like something was missing - but I believe that that's the whole point. I feel that TM wanted to emphasize that there is no need for a grill. That explains the Model S nose cone which I call the "anti-grill". They took it a step further on the X by accentuating the absence of the grill. It's different, it's futuristic, it's striking, it's minimalistic and yet slightly aggressive ..and will go down as ahead of it's time! It will also present a front license plate (US and EU) with much more style. I love it!

You would never see a Bentley or Rolls Royce dramatically change their grille.

QUOTE]

I don't know if your assertion that Bentley or Rolls Royce will never dramatically change their grille from the second vehicle model they produced is true or not, or if not changing is a sound business strategy.

Did Bentley or Rolls Royce keep an unnessary and false appendage in homage to horse drawn carriages? Did they keep a false starter handle after the electric starter had been implemented, just for conformity or familiarity sake?

The fact of the matter is that Tesla felt it needed to have a false facade to appear more dinosaur-fuel vehicle-like with the Model S.

With the Model X, they went for pure form-follows-function ideology, and ended up with a more aerodynamic front end. They went away from the false-front of the Model S nosecone, and reduced the turbulence created by the seams between nosecone parts, and gained range.

In my opinion, they should have expanded on the "sealed headlight components" idea and made the entire vehicle front one smooth areodynamic piece. If they felt they needed "bling" to break up a monolithic front, they could have achieved that with paint or by concealing futzy decorative component bling behind clear acrylic.

I can't think of any other pure electric vehicle that has a black decorative piece with the same percentage of surface area as the Model S. Not even close.

I'll have to grudgingly admit that, some 48 hours later, I've come to like the new nose. As called out above, it looks very good and futuristic when viewed from a human standing height. Even in white. Seen pics of Jurveton's white X in the wild in those tweets and that reaffirmed the positive impression.

Still a bit concerned about the masses having to be sold on it (in addition to the falcon wings, etc.).

I suspect part of what is so challenging for Tesla with the front of the vehicle, and so polarizing about what they've done, is that Tesla both,

1) (hurray!) "went cleaner, simpler" by getting rid of a relic of ICE vehicles in the grill, and so dropped a fake and fake looking vestige of an outdated technology (many of us, including its designer, were not satisfied with) and underlined that the vehicle is a step forward, and Tesla is confident about not being what people are used to,

and in doing so, also

2) (ugh!) presented an image that presents cognitive dissonance with our sense of what a human face looks like (which we clearly have a more than casual affinity to). at least one person here called the look of the white Model X "disturbing." my sense is that while not all cars have "eyes, nose and mouth", most cars, (and the ones most of us tend to like) have at least two of those three elements, and they are in proportion and in relation to each other in a similar way to a face. the X seems to have eyes and a nose centered at the "T", and a big space I think we all expect to see something roughly mouth sized and shaped centered in, NOT because of how ICE cars look, but because of how our faces look.

I think this is why many of us like the darker colored Xs best. I think the reflection of light on the lower overhanging section satisfies our expectation that there be a "mouth" where our mind imagines a mouth "should be."

tesla-motors-inc-model-x-suv-reveal-1.jpg

some people have said they loved the new look at first sight. others say it grew on them. maybe it's about the mind learning not to look to see a face.

whatever it is, I hope we all grow to love it. if consumers as a whole tend to have and stick with a displeasing take on this look, given the frequency other automakers change this area in mid-cycle refreshes, I don't see taking another crack at the front of the X as an onerous challenge for Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Texas
The front end doesn't look complete, in my opinion. Too much flat, painted surface with zero detail. The cone'd mules looked better, IMHO. Car's have expressive faces, the X (especially the white one) looks like an EV1 front -- not good for a $130K car. As I said in other threads, I am sure I will get use to it, but I hope the III has a better front end.

View attachment 96120

ditto

Lighting, height, and angle make a big difference. When the white Model X rolled out on stage, I thought the car was wearing a huge surgical mask (ironic, given the HEPA filter system). However, the Car & Driver photos of the Sig Red look much better:

View attachment 96156

Is that your photo? I'm trying to collect a number of non-white photos of the front. Like others have said, I really don't like the white with this front, but I think the other colors look good. Most people (even who follow Tesla news) haven't really seen other colors than the white from the front. Trying to get more out there. PM me or respond here if I can use this, and if so, how you'd like to be credited (name/link/etc).

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect part of what is so challenging for Tesla with the front of the vehicle, and so polarizing about what they've done, is that Tesla both,

1) (hurray!) "went cleaner, simpler" by getting rid of a relic of ICE vehicles in the grill, and so dropped a fake and fake looking vestige of an outdated technology (many of us, including its designer, were not satisfied with) and underlined that the vehicle is a step forward, and Tesla is confident about not being what people are used to,

and in doing so, also

2) (ugh!) presented an image that presents cognitive dissonance with our sense of what a human face looks like (which we clearly have a more than casual affinity to). at least one person here called the look of the white Model X "disturbing." my sense is that while not all cars have "eyes, nose and mouth", most cars, (and the ones most of us tend to like) have at least two of those three elements, and they are in proportion and in relation to each other in a similar way to a face. the X seems to have eyes and a nose centered at the "T", and a big space I think we all expect to see something roughly mouth sized and shaped centered in, NOT because of how ICE cars look, but because of how our faces look.

I think this is why many of us like the darker colored Xs best. I think the reflection of light on the lower overhanging section satisfies our expectation that there be a "mouth" where our mind imagines a mouth "should be."

View attachment 96369

some people have said they loved the new look at first sight. others say it grew on them. maybe it's about the mind learning not to look to see a face.

whatever it is, I hope we all grow to love it. if consumers as a whole tend to have and stick with a displeasing take on this look, given the frequency other automakers change this area in mid-cycle refreshes, I don't see taking another crack at the front of the X as an onerous challenge for Tesla.

Excellent write-up. I sort of thought this was obvious, esp since the Model X has such a face-like front minus the lack of a mouth, but you did an excellent job communicating it.

Where'd you find that photo?

- - - Updated - - -

Just thought I would pass this along from the Model 3 clay model thread:

View attachment 96161
Notice the pointy nose under the fabric?

View attachment 96162

See the similarity here?

I'll call it again: the new front end on Model X is going to make it's way to Model S soon enough as it's the new Tesla face going forward.

R.I.P Nose Cone. 2012-2015

Hmm, and with Elon's recent tweet about the Model 3 or Model Y having falcon-wing doors (obv, Model Y, right?), it seems quite likely that's a Model Y clay model...

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a matter of if people think it looks nice or not ... it's branding.

Tesla lost the brand image.

You would never see a Bentley or Rolls Royce dramatically change their grille.

Tesla should have kept the nose and, most importantly, the headlight LED pattern. That should be unique to Tesla, not the Model S.

Hugely disappointed that they lost their way.

This is Tesla's 3rd model, and only the 2nd one where they designed the body. It is still working out its branding. And plenty of other features spell "Tesla" on the X.

- - - Updated - - -

I have noticed a trend here on TMC that all of the new stuff that's unlike the old stuff is a catastrophe of epic proportions, and all involved are incompetent and should be sacked.

That's society. A large portion of society simply doesn't feel comfortable with change, and projects that discomfort on others as their supposed "failures/mistakes."

That said, despite loving almost everything about the X, I don't like the nose with the white paint. I keep wondering if Founder Series owners who chose white would have chosen a different color if they could see the vehicle in different colors beforehand.

The black, sig red, and blue look great to me. Still need a better look at them and others, though.

- - - Updated - - -

I may have said this earlier, I'm confused with all of the threads flying around, but any time you can "clean up" a design and minimize the use of many different and conflicting materials/colors, you create a more timeless design. The Model X nose is a timeless design that can carry forward into the future. It's distinctive and uniquely Tesla. It does not mimic the vestigial grille look. It is unabashedly proud of being an EV and not requiring a massive air intake. In my opinion - and I've been a designer most of my life and most of my professional years - the Model X design exudes a certain self-confidence that it doesn't have to look like an ICE vehicle or mimic ICE convention.

I think it's refreshing and beautiful!

I think that's a great observation and agree with that for the most part, just not with the white paint (if I haven't communicated that enough yet :D ).

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is the result of so many people spending so much time thinking about Tesla. My wife looked at all the pictures of the X and thought it looked great. I asked her later about the 'nose' and it didn't jump out enough for her to even remember what it looked like. To most non-tesla people the contrast isn't so extreme or even apparent.

My non-Tesla enthusiast, non-car enthusiast wife immediately made a comment about the front. I think it stands out. For better or worse, people are going to take notice.

- - - Updated - - -

A few of my pics from the event. I'm in the "maybe it will grow on me" camp.
And no, @AmpedRealtor, I didn't see the invisible sensors :tongue:

View attachment 96052
View attachment 96053
View attachment 96054
View attachment 96055
View attachment 96056

Actually in the last pic of Elon's car I can see a sensor button on the front. The invisible sensors are in the falcon wing doors.

Great collection! Do you know the source(s)?

- - - Updated - - -

Agree. I think its because nose cone added contrast to white colour making it look cool. So white colour is now a little less cool and all other colour are more cool because nose didnt looked good on them. (My opinion). And yes, black looks rad as its consistent without any breaks.

ditto

Is that your photo? I'm trying to collect a number of non-white photos of the front. Like others have said, I really don't like the white with this front, but I think the other colors look good. Most people (even who follow Tesla news) haven't really seen other colors than the white from the front. Trying to get more out there. PM me or respond here if I can use this, and if so, how you'd like to be credited (name/link/etc).

I didn't take that photo. I found it at the Car & Driver article on the Model X reveal event: http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-g...ly-spreads-its-wings-official-photos-and-info

I'm really impressed with the new nose. That was the first thing that caught my eye and it's really sharp. I really hope they bring it to the Model S. It's time to say goodbye to the gaping fish mouth, or angry bird mouth, of the Model S...

View attachment 96037View attachment 96038
ah, I liked angry bird, but I'll say this... It's fantastic the darker the paint. Took a few looks, but also agree with others it's amazing in black.