Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new nose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is this:

View attachment 96083

Which seems to be very popular. Stylish, yet still futuristic.

Would they really be cross shopped? I think the Volvo is for those that want an EV, but feel more comfortable with a range extender, don't care as much about performance...and would prefer to pay $20k less. I mean, if the Volvo is in contention...then I guess so is the Mitsu Outlander PHEV.

"...the best is a matter of standards -- and I set my own standards. I inherit nothing. I stand at the end of no tradition. I may, perhaps, stand at the beginning of one..."

"...A house can have integrity, just like a person ... and just as seldom..."

"...Every piece of it is there because the house needs it -- and for no other reason ... The ornament was determined by the method of construction, an emphasis of the principle that makes it stand ... Your house is made by its own needs. Those others are made by the need to impress. The determining motive of your house is in the house. The determining motive of the other is in the audience..."

The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand

How do we get this sophomoric stuff from Rand? I thought it was junk in high school:)

Stahp your complaining, could be worse...

Attachments

• modelxlexusgrille.jpg
    modelxlexusgrille.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 129
Thanks for that photo; that's the relevant perspective. It's nowhere near as bulbous as some low angles would suggest. It will need paint protection film.

No problem.

I try to find photos of the Model X that appear to be of relevant height: what one of average height would see walking around the car, and what one would see if the car was driving up from behind. I have never understood why automotive photographers often insist on taking photos and videos from low heights and angles. I might care if I was a cat or a dog buying a Model X, but the average adult human is going to be looking on from an eye level typically 5-6 feet, not 2-3 feet!

I have no doubt that this look is going to be controversial, but it is absolutely unmistakable as a Tesla. If I could afford it, I would buy a Sig Red X in a millisecond. This particular car has the 6-seat configuration.

Just thought I would pass this along from the Model 3 clay model thread:

Tesla+Model+3+in+design+studio.jpg

Notice the pointy nose under the fabric?

nosecone.PNG

See the similarity here?

I'll call it again: the new front end on Model X is going to make it's way to Model S soon enough as it's the new Tesla face going forward.

R.I.P Nose Cone. 2012-2015

Two years ago there were a lot of discussions like this one online regarding Apple's cosmetic changes to iOS on the iPhone and iPad. When iOS 7 came out, Apple had done away with almost all skeuomorphisms; anything that was meant to look like it was a holdover from an older time just for the sake of aesthetics was removed. In some ways I still miss the charm of iOS 6 with the Notes app resembling an actual notebook and the Calendar app resembling a leather-edged desk calendar. But in the end ditching the cutesy throwback elements was a good move and left us with iPhones and iPads that are cleaner and arguably better. (It pains me to say this because I was a major advocate of skeuomorphism on iOS for years.)

That said, a car's grille is a perfect example of a skeuomorphic element. It's just as unnecessary and silly on an electric car as adding fake exhaust pipes and simulated engine groans. We *think* we like the way it looks because that's just the way it has always looked and is our expectation.

I have noticed a trend here on TMC that all of the new stuff that's unlike the old stuff is a catastrophe of epic proportions, and all involved are incompetent and should be sacked.

No you're wrong. That's only after it does get the new stuff. Before that happens any new stuff it does not have but others do is an illustration of total incompetence of the company.

I find it interesting things seem to be binary here. Not liking the look of the front of the Model X does NOT mean that one desires a nose cone or a "grille". There are cars out there that pull off no grille without looking weird. There are also ICE vehicles out there that have no discernible front grille.

So it's not necessarily a "If you don't love the cone you must love dated ICEs and their grilles!" situation, which many seem to be painting it as.

I may have said this earlier, I'm confused with all of the threads flying around, but any time you can "clean up" a design and minimize the use of many different and conflicting materials/colors, you create a more timeless design. The Model X nose is a timeless design that can carry forward into the future. It's distinctive and uniquely Tesla. It does not mimic the vestigial grille look. It is unabashedly proud of being an EV and not requiring a massive air intake. In my opinion - and I've been a designer most of my life and most of my professional years - the Model X design exudes a certain self-confidence that it doesn't have to look like an ICE vehicle or mimic ICE convention.

I think it's refreshing and beautiful!

I may have said this earlier, I'm confused with all of the threads flying around, but any time you can "clean up" a design and minimize the use of many different and conflicting materials/colors, you create a more timeless design. The Model X nose is a timeless design that can carry forward into the future. It's distinctive and uniquely Tesla. It does not mimic the vestigial grille look. It is unabashedly proud of being an EV and not requiring a massive air intake. In my opinion - and I've been a designer most of my life and most of my professional years - the Model X design exudes a certain self-confidence that it doesn't have to look like an ICE vehicle or mimic ICE convention.

I think it's refreshing and beautiful!

I agree with you 100%.