Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I am a new member and do not want to violate the rules, I will not be selling them here, Just go to an e--commerce web site and search for "Secure Jacking SOCKET ADAPTER for scissors jack to TESLA ALL MODEL 3, Y, S and X"
Mike, can you point us at an inexpensive scissors jack that will work well with your socket adapter ? A lot of the ones I'm seeing have a slot at the top instead of a hole.

Mike, can you point us at an inexpensive scissors jack that will work well with your socket adapter ? A lot of the ones I'm seeing have a slot at the top instead of a hole.
Look for a scissors jack with a separate swivel slotted attachment like this one. To help others, I have ordered one and will be modifying it with the adaptor for the benefit of other Tesla owners, so they can see how it is done. Pictures will be forthcoming.

scissors jack_.jpg

All you need to do is to drill out the rivet holding the slotted adapter and remove it. If the remaining hole on the flat top is too small, enlarge it to 5/16 inch, and the adapter will fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: RustyShacklefo
Looks like maybe you could take this one and simply drill a hole in the top (assuming there's enough clearance for the stud in Mike's adapter) ...

Sure, that will work just as well, too. The UHMW pad is purposely made with enough flex to allow it to conform to the slight curvature of the jack's top saddle.

I decided and just ordered one like that and will report on how it works out. I will post photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: RustyShacklefo
Got the exact jack you mentioned on Amazon, today.

It is ideal for the adapter and fitting it to the jack couldn't be easier. I marked the center of the top iike this.

Torin scissors jack marked for drilling.JPG

I drilled the hole out to 5/16 inch like this.

adapter unassembled on Torin scissors  jack.JPG

It inserted and fitted perfectly.

adapter on Torin scissors jack.JPG

The jack with it's extended base is very stable and raises high enough on the front socket to lift not only the front wheel of the ground, but also the rear wheel. Basically, the assembly could be used to rotate tires from the front to back and vise versa.

The Torin jack is actually better made and stronger than some rated at 2 tons and supplied by some OEM's with medium cross over SUV's.

Thank you, Rusty, for your suggestion and your help in improving the application of the adapter.

It is ideal for the adapter and fitting it to the jack couldn't be easier. I marked the center of the top iike this.

View attachment 965233
I drilled the hole out to 5/16 inch like this.

View attachment 965234

It inserted and fitted perfectly.

View attachment 965235

The jack with it's extended base is very stable and raises high enough on the front socket to lift not only the front wheel of the ground, but also the rear wheel. Basically, the assembly could be used to rotate tires from the front to back and vise versa.

The Torin jack is actually better made and stronger than some rated at 2 tons and supplied by some OEM's with medium cross over SUV's.

Thank you, Rusty, for your suggestion and your help in improving the application of the adapter.
The curb weight of the Tesla Model 3 is 3,862 to 4,048 lbs, and the Model Y is 3,920 to 4,416 lbs. AS I understand it, you want the jack to be rated 3/4 of the car's weight or more. For the Tesla Model Y, 3/4 of the weight is for 3312 lbs, so it is a little low. With that jack rated for 1.5 tons, it's a little low for the Model Y, but the Model 3 looks good. I'd much prefer a low-clearance 2 ton jack with appropriate reach.

The curb weight of the Tesla Model 3 is 3,862 to 4,048 lbs, and the Model Y is 3,920 to 4,416 lbs. AS I understand it, you want the jack to be rated 3/4 of the car's weight or more. For the Tesla Model Y, 3/4 of the weight is for 3312 lbs, so it is a little low. With that jack rated for 1.5 tons, it's a little low for the Model Y, but the Model 3 looks good. I'd much prefer a low-clearance 2 ton jack with appropriate reach.

This jack will work just fine. I ordered and looked at two other two ton jacks and found them to be deficient compared with the Torin. Examination of the Torin reflects that the 1-1/2 is very conservative rated with a safety margin of at least 50%. This is from my years of experience as a design, proofing and accident failure investigations engineer in the aerospace industry.

I'd watch this YouTube video on one that was tested on a hydraulic press to failure. The scissors jack was tested at approximately the 1:15 minute point into the video.

So, this jack is more than adequate for the job of changing tires. I would, however, never get under the car with any jack without secure jack stands.

Last edited:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna get one now. Got your adapter recently too, and it looks great.

I am tempted to cut some threads into the post on your adapter though, and bolt it on - if it's possible to get a bolt up under there. This one will be dedicated to the Tesla, so no issue with removing it. Certainly not necessary , but would feel nice.

Just need a 12v inflator and a patch kit, and hopefully ready for a flat. Would welcome recs for either item !

Reactions: Mike500
There is no need to cut threads into the post. The adapter includes a push nut that is forced over the end of the shaft and is spring loaded. It easily keeps the adapter from being removed. I found that access is made easier by raising the jack to it's full height, holding the push nut by its edge with a pair of needle nose pliers with the recess's "funnel like" end pointing toward the post end and pushing down the adapter. It's a little tedious, but it works.

My favorite inflater is the Ryobi 18 volt one available at the Direct Tools Outlet. The price is a lot better than Home Depot.

6165vvMPp+L._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg

This picture shows the battery and charger. You can get that separately, if you don't already own the Ryobi 18 volt tools.

WalMart sells the Hart inflater, which is made by the same manufacturer.

My favorite inflater is the Ryobi 18 volt one available at the Direct Tools Outlet. The price is a lot better than Home Depot.

This picture shows the battery and charger. You can get that separately, if you don't already own the Ryobi 18 volt tools.
Since I don't have Ryobi stuff, that's gonna be real expensive (unless Dewalt batteries will work). Rather find one that plugs into the car's 12v.

I bought the Heyner Ultralift L Pro for cars up to 2.8 tons or approximately 6200 lbs. This weight rating is sufficient for any tesla model.
I'm going to buy such jack. The minimal height is ~100mm, so will it fit under M3 with a flat tire?

Why not one that plugs into car's 12v system ?
Over the years, I've had and used many of the plug in's. I've had to unwind and plug in the cord and drag the it around to each tire at the four corners of the car..

With the portable battery powered inflator, all I have to do is to connect the hose to the tire valve and squeeze the trigger until the desire pressure is reached. That's all.

Today, I purchased the Walmart Hyper Tough black version of the Torin Big Red Scissors jack and made a purpose built post out of rare yellow UHMW (Spectra) and a 1/4 inch 1-1/2 inch overall diameter 304 stainless steel disk for secure support of the Tesla jacking socket.

An ISO 10.9 flanged full threaded tap bolt is threaded through the bushing. The outer diameter of the bushing is heat formed and riveted through the hole in the stainless steel disk to retain it,

The whole assembly is then mounted to a center tapped hole made to receive it centered on the top of the scissors jack to make one very secure jack.

Some photos are attached.

post removed.jpg

post dis assembled.jpg

This makes for one really nice jack.

main.jpg

I consider using either the jacking socket or placing it under the lower control arm
That might work on the rear control arm, since there is about a little more than 100 mm of clearance to the ground at the shock mount. As I recall, I could just about get the saddle of a low profile racing floor jack under the front control arm as shown in this photo.

IMG_2811.JPG

The pad of the jack might work at the jacking socket, but some way like a post is needed to keep the really narrow pad from sliding off, because the car moves as it is raised on the jack.

Reactions: melvladimir