Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quality of my P85D sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a ton of issues all in the first 4 months. It was delivered with a dent and a hood crease. Within 6 weeks it was leaking oil from the back end and required a new seal. The passenger side door handle was scratching against the window leaving tar on it as it rolled up. It has been in the paint shop twice as the try to get the paint right from delivery. The car has been at the service center for nearly 4 weeks in the first 4 months. That means it has been at the service center for 20% of it's life. VERY UNHAPPY.

What would you do?

Ton of issues:

1. It was delivered with a dent and a hood crease.
2. Within 6 weeks it was leaking oil from the back end and required a new seal.
3. The passenger side door handle was scratching against the window leaving tar on it as it rolled up.

These are very minor "issues" to me and not quite a TON. My P85D has been virtually perfect (except for the rear seats I'm waiting for).

Sorry you had some minor problems, but, to claim all P85D have quality issues is way over the top.

Ton of issues:

3. The passenger side door handle was scratching against the window leaving tar on it as it rolled up.

These are very minor "issues" to me and not quite a TON. My P85D has been virtually perfect (except for the rear seats I'm waiting for).

Sorry you had some minor problems, but, to claim all P85D have quality issues is way over the top.

Wow you guys are going to have to quit drinking the KoolAid.... Let me say I am happy that many of you have a perfect car that has no issues at all. Congrats, I get it. Anyone who has issues with the title of this thread than I don't really care. I had to have a $130K car painted twice in the first few months of ownership. THAT BLOWS! Any other comments are just flat out wrong. Period. Painting my brand new car is NOT a minor issue, that is just a stupid comment. You should be ashamed of yourself trying to chastise me. I don't want my brand new car I waited 4 months to get to need painted on delivery. Wow!

Having said all that, I love the car and the service centers have tried yo make it right, BUT they can't. I do want a brand new car with an aftermarket paint job. Period. I want the car replaced.

Denting the car on delivery and delivering it with a hood crease IS POOR WORKMANSHIP. Sorry that is a fact. If the mods would like to change my title to My P85D quality sucks than go ahead. It makes not difference to me. If it is in the wrong thread than the mods can move it to a better section but I could not see a place for it to fit in.

Hopefully someone will help. I will report my experience as I think it is important to others how Tesla handles this. As a stock holder i am interested in how they handle this. Some problems are minor, like a leaking seal and a door handle. BUT paint is huge issue and I for one (and it looks like I am the only one based in most everyones biased comments) am NOT happy. The people with perfect problems and minor issues I am very happy for you and wish you luck in the future. But each and everyone of you could be the next person who gets a bad quality car when you buy again. Keep that in mind. Putting blame on the customer who receives a bad car is just wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Ton of issues:

I forgot to mention and it was a huge error on my part. Any of you who claim my problems are minor, than why don't you park your vehicle at the service center for 20% of the time you own it and than tell me how minor my issues are. WOW! Wednesday this week, Tesla will have had my car for 4 weeks out of 4 months. MINOR, no way.

Welcome to end of quarter rush quality. As for what you can do, be patient with the SC. They really want to help you and make sure you are satisfied.

As someone with an average of one service visit per two weeks over 8 months, it is super frustrating that it is happening, and that you have to take the time to deal with it.

That being said, certainly keep tesla corporate in the loop. They might assign you a handler if you are rightly sqeaky, and that person can help be your advocate to communicating issues with the SC and making sure things get done.

Welcome to end of quarter rush quality. As for what you can do, be patient with the SC. They really want to help you and make sure you are satisfied.

As someone with an average of one service visit per two weeks over 8 months, it is super frustrating that it is happening, and that you have to take the time to deal with it.

That being said, certainly keep tesla corporate in the loop. They might assign you a handler if you are rightly sqeaky, and that person can help be your advocate to communicating issues with the SC and making sure things get done.

Thanks, now that is helpful

- - - Updated - - -

It is good to hear I am not alone with the KoolAid people. They would not replace your vehicle I take it... That really sucks.

I do understand the OP is upset, and that Tesla has initially failed to deliver what he expects.

Why not try to set Tesla Motor Service Center up to succeed, and outline and explain each issue.
Document with a written list and photos if you feel that is appropriate.
Be sure to also calmly listen to what the Service Center commits to what they can and cannot do and what they commit that they will do to alleviate/remedy the issues.

As long as the OP has a working and agreeable attitude with the Service Center personnel, my experience is they will do their best to make the car as good as is possible.
My local Service Center are heros, they have exceeded every legitimate action item I have brought to their attention.

Being reasonable and clearly state your position with the Service Center will get OP much closer to full satisfaction.
Going in with the attitude of "this car has multiple defects, and I want it replaced with a new one" is probably not the best tact to take.

You have every right to complain, be disappointed and state your feelings about this with the exact wording you chose. Anyone who chides you for the title of the post or tries to do the typical Tesla apologist thing of telling you that you should be happy that you were allowed to give Elon Musk your money should be ignored.

Like you, we spent $120+k on a P85D, and that was after spending a slightly lower amount for the P85 that preceded it. At that price point I expect pretty close to perfection. Like you, I have been disappointed in the value proposition of Tesla.

I could care less about the cult of Elon Musk. I want a vehicle that does at least what it is claimed to be able to do (if not a heck of a lot more) and a company that bends over backwards to make me happy. Tesla is neither. I like my P85D, but I won't be paying a premium again for a Tesla product. I work hard for my money and I don't run a charity for Elon Musk and his friends.

Like you, we spent $120+k on a P85D, and that was after spending a slightly lower amount for the P85 that preceded it. At that price point I expect pretty close to perfection. Like you, I have been disappointed in the value proposition of Tesla.

I could care less about the cult of Elon Musk. I want a vehicle that does at least what it is claimed to be able to do (if not a heck of a lot more) and a company that bends over backwards to make me happy. Tesla is neither. I like my P85D, but I won't be paying a premium again for a Tesla product. I work hard for my money and I don't run a charity for Elon Musk and his friends.

If the P85 wasn't a good value, why in the heck did you then go out and buy a P85D?!

It would have made much more sense to wait for Model 3 if value is important to you.

If the P85 wasn't a good value, why in the heck did you then go out and buy a P85D?!

It would have made much more sense to wait for Model 3 if value is important to you.

How else would one know the value received without actually consuming the product? Both vehicles were purchased in the same year (P85 at the start of 2014, P85D at the end). The P85 was ok; it's the P85D that is the value problem. I'd say that in the last year Tesla has done a far worse job in providing a product that is worth the price, both in terms of the product and the customer service. Like I said, at $120k+ I expect to have my socks knocked off. Great acceleration 0-60 isn't enough.

And you're conflating value with low price. Not even close to the same thing.

Thanks, now that is helpful

- - - Updated - - -

It is good to hear I am not alone with the KoolAid people. They would not replace your vehicle I take it... That really sucks.

Yeah, you'll find a few of us on here that remember Jim Jones. It is super frustrating when you post something like this and 90% of responses are ,"well I don't have that problem ". Just Try to smile and nod.

The truth is, that each batch of cars had their own set of problems a lot of the time. In the beginning, I had to take the time to document each concern and list the circumstances under when it would occur. Other items will have known fixes and it will frustrate you even further to find this out because you'll ask, "well then why wasn't it done at the factory???" And the answer is, it's less expensive from a delay and production standpoint to spend your time and goodwill at the service center, than it is to take care of it before your car leaves the factory.

If you can manage a positive attitude (it's hard if you dwell on the six figure purchase price), and realize that the SC is there for you as there job and as their preference (they aren't there otherwise, the pay is so so and the hours terrible). You *should* be able to get to a point where your car is perfect, for you.

You have every right to complain, be disappointed and state your feelings about this with the exact wording you chose. Anyone who chides you for the title of the post or tries to do the typical Tesla apologist thing of telling you that you should be happy that you were allowed to give Elon Musk your money should be ignored.

Please stop insulting people with 'cult of Elon' and 'Tesla apologists'. I don't see anyone telling the OP to stop talking or that he doesn't have valid complaints.

Please stop insulting people with 'cult of Elon' and 'Tesla apologists'. I don't see anyone telling the OP to stop talking or that he doesn't have valid complaints.

Ehhh, maybe not so much here in this thread, but in general, the guy does have a considerable cult following. And it *can* be overwhelming at times, especially on this forum. To quell it in this thread early on might have been a wise move.

Yeah, you'll find a few of us on here that remember Jim Jones. It is super frustrating when you post something like this and 90% of responses are ,"well I don't have that problem ". Just Try to smile and nod.

The truth is, that each batch of cars had their own set of problems a lot of the time. In the beginning, I had to take the time to document each concern and list the circumstances under when it would occur. Other items will have known fixes and it will frustrate you even further to find this out because you'll ask, "well then why wasn't it done at the factory???" And the answer is, it's less expensive from a delay and production standpoint to spend your time and goodwill at the service center, than it is to take care of it before your car leaves the factory.

If you can manage a positive attitude (it's hard if you dwell on the six figure purchase price), and realize that the SC is there for you as there job and as their preference (they aren't there otherwise, the pay is so so and the hours terrible). You *should* be able to get to a point where your car is perfect, for you.

Thanks

How else would one know the value received without actually consuming the product? Both vehicles were purchased in the same year (P85 at the start of 2014, P85D at the end). The P85 was ok; it's the P85D that is the value problem. I'd say that in the last year Tesla has done a far worse job in providing a product that is worth the price, both in terms of the product and the customer service. Like I said, at $120k+ I expect to have my socks knocked off. Great acceleration 0-60 isn't enough.

And you're conflating value with low price. Not even close to the same thing.

If you already owned a P85, then I think it's reasonable to assume that you were familiar with the interior and exterior features of Model S. None of this changed significantly with the P85D. The additions amounted to an extra motor up front and a sensor suite that would enable future driver assist capabilities.

If you spent $120k when you knew or should have known this, then don't expect people to be on your side at all when you complain.

What did more did you expect from the P85D? The entire point of the P85D was McLaren-like acceleration from 0-60. The only real complaint I think people had was that the torque sleep feature wasn't available initially. Tesla screwed that up badly, though they eventually resolved it in a firmware update.

Model 3 will almost certainly be a better value than Model S, because of lower battery prices and cost reductions from economies of scale.

If one looks at a price:feature ratio, Model S handily destroys the Roadster in almost every metric. It's value proposition is much higher. I expect that in a similar way, each dollar spent on a Model 3 will buy more car than each dollar spent on a Model S or X.

Ehhh, maybe not so much here in this thread, but in general, the guy does have a considerable cult following. And it *can* be overwhelming at times, especially on this forum. To quell it in this thread early on might have been a wise move.

This cult following is a small number of people at best.

I have no problem calling out Tesla or Elon for screwing up stuff. The undisclosed lack of torque sleep in initial P85D firmware was inexcusable. I also refused to support the idea that shipping Model X on reveal day to Signatures holders was anything close to a good idea.

I don't care who a person is if they are doing something stupid. They could be President Obama or have been the late Steve Jobs and I would call them out on it. Elon is no different.

If you already owned a P85, then I think it's reasonable to assume that you were familiar with the interior and exterior features of Model S. None of this changed significantly with the P85D. The additions amounted to an extra motor up front and a sensor suite that would enable future driver assist capabilities.

If you spent $120k when you knew or should have known this, then don't expect people to be on your side at all when you complain.

What did more did you expect from the P85D? The entire point of the P85D was McLaren-like acceleration from 0-60. The only real complaint I think people had was that the torque sleep feature wasn't available initially. Tesla screwed that up badly, though they eventually resolved it in a firmware update.

Model 3 will almost certainly be a better value than Model S, because of lower battery prices and cost reductions from economies of scale.

If one looks at a price:feature ratio, Model S handily destroys the Roadster in almost every metric. It's value proposition is much higher. I expect that in a similar way, each dollar spent on a Model 3 will buy more car than each dollar spent on a Model S or X.

I didn't intend to hijack the OP's thread, so this will be my final response to posts directed at what I said. If you want to discuss further, feel free to message me. Perhaps you don't remember the P85D reveal event, but I placed my order after it and in reliance on what was shown and promised. Next Gen seats (which took months after payment to receive), functional autopilot features, most of which are still not functional, increased range that is actually decreased range...Go back to the reveal event and see what was promised. It's a lot more than just an extra motor up front and a sensor suite.

Again, back to the OP's post and if you want to argue with me, message me.

I could care less about the cult of Elon Musk... I work hard for my money and I don't run a charity for Elon Musk and his friends.

Really, there's a cult plus a charity for Elon Musk? You learn something new every day here.

Both the over-the-top Musk supporters, and over-the-top Musk haters, are just different sides of the same coin. Fortunately, there's not as many of either here as people like to think and complain about.

I expect pretty close to perfection.... and a company that bends over backwards to make me happy. Tesla is neither.

Most of us understand that no company can be "close to perfect" and while bending over backwards to please people is great for companies to do, expecting the same all the time is unrealistic.

Anyone who chides you for the title of the post or tries to do the typical Tesla apologist thing of telling you that you should be happy that you were allowed to give Elon Musk your money should be ignored.
I could care less about the cult of Elon Musk.
I work hard for my money and I don't run a charity for Elon Musk and his friends.

No one had mentioned Elon Musk in this thread until you did. Three times. In one post.

Why so much angst? Did Elon Musk run over your dog or something?

If my new car, was in the shop for 25 per cent of time in first few months..I would want a complete exchange...regardless of price of car, as that is all relative. From a managers/ owners standpoint (tesla's) would also feel this is reasonable.

I was wondering how long it would take for the title to get changed. Any negative title at some point gets changed. Positive titles like " wow it's really quick" never get changed to " my car is really quick" or " nonsense articles ..." Never get changed to "in my opinion"...
In my opinion after reading your post it is very obvious you are referring to your opinion on your car, period. in general this forum worries way to much about any generalized tainted negativity towards tesla ( insert no I criticized tesla once comment rebuttal here), but in comparison to the wealth of information and good peeps here, it is a minor thing.

Taking a step back ..for those " expecting" , review the car carefully before accepting delivery, and in daylight.