Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resource Angle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chinese control of cobalt supply is risk for car industry: Glencore

The automotive industry is waking up too late to the fact that China will hold most of the world’s supply of cobalt, a key metal for electric vehicle (EV) batteries, Glencore Chief Executive Ivan Glasenberg said on Tuesday.

“If cobalt falls into the hands of the Chinese, yeah you won’t see EVs being produced in Europe etc. They are waking up too late ... I think it’s because the car industry has never had a supply chain problem before,” Glasenberg told the FT Commodities Global Summit in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Glasenberg said he was nevertheless prepared to sell cobalt mines in the Democratic Republic of Congo to China if the price was good. He added that the company was not changing its production plans in the DRC.

@JRP3
I posed that question in the comment section of Matt Bolshen's article about Cobalt27, and though Anthony Milewski showed up in the comment section to answer some questions he has as of yet not addressed that one.
he did give an answer this am (3/21) but more addressed the mixes of Li batteries and not sources of Co
(from SA free site only)

"......see the chemistry evolution as a positive development. The current standard is a 5-3-2 chemistry. The 6-2-2 is rolling out as we speak. ....experts I speak with ..told me that a two year roll-out is required based on model timing and other logistical considerations. The 8-1-1 is at least two years out...... those that will say it is more like four years away...don't think you will see a move to 8-1-1 until it can be proven to be stable and safe...."

I sent a "love note"/inquiry to NNOMF as to association with Tesla, and asked do they have one, but if they answer, may not be able to answer, eh

More cobalt gloom and doom, increasing prices and decreasing inventory
Cobalt Miners News For The Month Of March 2018 | Seeking Alpha
I would like to hear some detail from Tesla regarding this issue going forward.
are you sure it's "doom and gloom"? I see it as moving away from DRC and sourcing elsewhere, specifically Thackaringa area of Australia and Canada among others. South Australia, after all, is where the big battery project of Tesla is at, however that is mere specualtion on my part, eh

Many of those other projects are not up and running and may take some time to develop. Near term if you need large amounts of cobalt above what is currently available it's probably coming from Africa.
im not trying to be argumentative, but i dimly see a coming boom in EV's, AND battery storage VPP's so a need for Li stationary and mobile batteries, (look at the 53 1+ megawatt batteries for the Norwegian ferry boats, known needs, defined paths of travel, way cheaper fuel) the Australian "proof of concept" project for grid stabilization at the Wind farm/Tesla battery bank, how a Semi truck uses ~24x the fuel of a car per year (fuel economy times miles traveled)(6x4=~24) there is a rush to electrify major transport and minor transport, SO what minerals necessary? Co, Li, Ni, Mg, (somewhere i have a graphic of Li batteries with the 6 major types), however, look at elements in Group 1&2 and certain ones in periods 2,3,&4. specifically, 3, 4, 11,12,21,25,27,28,29. which are easier to get, what we need more of etc, etc. DRC has lots of 27 (Co) BUT guns, fighting, corruption, hostiles. so get Co from Canada (cold, bad weather, no gunz) and Australia friendlier presently, also 28, Ni. SO i took a bunch of my Tesla profits (not all) and diversified (a sincere thank you to the shorts that helped subsidize)

lots
upload_2018-3-27_8-22-3.png

Consider though that for grid storage, where energy density and specific energy are less important, cobalt free chemistries can do the job. LiFePO4 and LiTiO already have high cycle life potential, better safety characteristics, and LiFePO4 should have lower material costs, especially if cobalt costs continue to rise.

Consider though that for grid storage, where energy density and specific energy are less important, cobalt free chemistries can do the job. LiFePO4 and LiTiO already have high cycle life potential, better safety characteristics, and LiFePO4 should have lower material costs, especially if cobalt costs continue to rise.
a reason why im invested in both Co and Li companies, and Scandium and a few others. (and tesla). I worked for an _hour_ at a Pb recycling facility and vowed to never, ever get even close, back in 1967, (summer) in Northern Va. I expect if I remembered where it was and checked, it might be a superfund toxic waste site, or should be. the dirt was black from spills, somewhere near Yorkshire, Virginia, north of manassas, virginia.
I used to own stock in valence technology LiFePo4 till they went private a number of years back (and evergreen Solar (ESLR)(and Beacon technologies BCON that used essentially ultracentrifuges to store energy, till I saw what happened when an ultracentrifuge exploded)(It slam danced around the room for about 20 minutes bleeding off the rotational energy, about the size of a dishwasher, but contained the explosion, but, sweet holy moly, not something to be near, and took a centrifuge off line that had the trunions "flow" from round to oval from excess overspeed and excess gravities (omega squared times radius) I like energy storage thats vaguely safe for users (4,000rpm vs 3,200rpm, not that much they said, except they were spinning essentially bricks that would have killed people when the containment failed and didnt understand they had invreased gravities by almost a factor of 2)

Last edited:
What does everyone think of CTEQF? A new company in Australia with $$$ for extracting Cobalt and Lithium with a fast track to begin production??? CleanTeq Holdings.
thinly traded, ~$1.00/share, daily vol ~85,000. if you got 1,000 shares, you would be over 1.2% of the days trades and affect the price. so my opinion is highly speculative, buy, put in a drawer and forget for a year, IF you do so, be prepared to lose 100%
Is that what you were asking? i would avoid it personally, and look elsewhere

SANTIAGO (Reuters) - Chile’s development agency Corfo said on Friday that companies from China and South Korea, as well as Chile, had been approved to make investments of around $754 million in the red-hot lithium industry.

The companies selected in a bidding process to develop technology focused on the lithium market were Chile’s Molymet and China’s Sichuan Fulin Industrial Group, a joint venture between Samsung SDI Co Ltd and South Korea’s POSCO.

Chile says companies to invest $754 million in lithium industry

I guess Tesla will not be investing here.

Reactions: sundaymorning
Google search for "rare earth elements":
rare earth
noun
CHEMISTRY
plural noun: rare earth elements
  1. any of a group of chemically similar metallic elements comprising the lanthanide series and (usually) scandium and yttrium. They are not especially rare, but they tend to occur together in nature and are difficult to separate from one another.
(My bolding)

No neodymium?

These apatite-derived (by way of phillipsite) muds are preferentially enriched in the heavier rare-earths: #s 63 through 71, plus #39, Yttrium (not a rare-earth per se). Neodymium, #60, is not likely to be present in appreciable quantities. Unfortunately.

I've reached out to some of my geochemist contacts to get a better appreciation of the quality of the work presented in this article; I'll report back with anything I learn.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 4.02.58 PM.png

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: immunogold and JRP3