Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resource Angle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reporting back as promised:

After one month, I’ve not received any kind of response to my inquiries. Sorry, all!
:( :) as a way off topic, has anyone tried using magnets from dead hard drives to "influence" pinball machines "rolly" steel balls......? since they are i think, neodydimuim just a bit and are really strong (and this is a place holder to float the discussion back towards the top)

This is spectacular news from Mr. Musk’s Twitter feed this morning:

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Replying to @korihale @Tesla and 2 others
We use less than 3% cobalt in our batteries & will use none in next gen

It also makes me sigh with relief that I hadn’t contacted Tesla to consider the possibilities of spending time and manpower thinking of backing some fairly interesting cobalt occurrences in this part of the Alaska Range. As always, I’m conflicted about resource development here - we desperately need an economic boost in this staggeringly impoverished part of the state....but, of course, our own business is based on the area’s pristine nature. Ah well.

Yeah this is great news, except for my cobalt investments :eek: :D

tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3
This is spectacular news from Mr. Musk’s Twitter feed this morning:

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Replying to @korihale @Tesla and 2 others
We use less than 3% cobalt in our batteries & will use none in next gen

It also makes me sigh with relief that I hadn’t contacted Tesla to consider the possibilities of spending time and manpower thinking of backing some fairly interesting cobalt occurrences in this part of the Alaska Range. As always, I’m conflicted about resource development here - we desperately need an economic boost in this staggeringly impoverished part of the state....but, of course, our own business is based on the area’s pristine nature. Ah well.

Alaska is a Far West nation dependent on resource extraction for most of the economy.

It is interesting they got the cobalt out. I hope there aren't any negatives to the new chemistry.

As I'm fairly heavily invested in "The Resource Angle (lithium stocks)", for me personally, last year was quite good, and this year has been terrible :(. Not super confident things will greatly improve this year, given some delays by the other manufacturers in their EV lineup. Should still be a sure bet the next 10+ years, and can hopefully somewhat withstand a global market downturn coming in 2019-2020.

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions. I'm thinking about getting the white interior in my model 3. Does it hold up well?

Also I'm surrounded by oil workers. Well myself included . People around me keep talking about how electric cars are worse or just as bad for the environment depending on the energy source and the mining of lithium. Do you guys have some reading on this or better yet videos?

I can't wait for the next 2 quarters. Things are really getting exciting. It's like watching a really long movie and we are close to the climax!

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions. I'm thinking about getting the white interior in my model 3. Does it hold up well?

Also I'm surrounded by oil workers. Well myself included . People around me keep talking about how electric cars are worse or just as bad for the environment depending on the energy source and the mining of lithium. Do you guys have some reading on this or better yet videos?

I can't wait for the next 2 quarters. Things are really getting exciting. It's like watching a really long movie and we are close to the climax!

Thanks!

This review was written in 2015 by the Union of Concerned Scientists and I reckon the EV advantage increases over time as production technologies advance. Not to mention increases in renewal energy production.
https://www.ucsusa.org/sites/defaul...ner-Cars-from-Cradle-to-Grave-full-report.pdf

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

I’ve had the white interior on my X for 2.5 years and it works well.

As far as environmental issues goes, tell your oil workers to suck on a tailpipe. Seriously, if you can’t understand that zero urban emissions is a good thing, then you aren’t thinking. Lithium is like 3% of the battery pack by weight, and is usually “mined” through salt water evaporation.

Do they use smelters to refine the nickel, copper, cobalt and aluminium?
Depends.

For copper if it's a sulfide ore yes, if it's an oxide ore no, you would use some sort of leaching and electrolysis instead.

For aluminium you use the Bayer process which is it's own unique thing but the short of it is it uses a butt ton of electricity. Fun fact, Iceland processes Bauxite ore into aluminium because they have so much cheap geothermal power.

Don't know cobalt or nickel off hand though I think they are usually sulfide ores so most likely yes.

Also, a smelter in North America is a very different beast to a smelter in China. Many ways to burn stuff but how you dispose of slag, whether you use stack scrubbers or not, ect, can take a smelter from no more impact than any other factory to an environmental destroy-a-tron 3000.

EDIT: Oops sorry mod....don't know how to move this now. :/

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I am told that it does and that it doesn't take stains easily (it's some kind of highly stain-resistant plastic fabric.)

Reading:
New Data Show Electric Vehicles Continue to Get Cleaner (this is the fifth in a series)
The 'long tailpipe argument' debunked