Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resource Angle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure they are still using NCA in the automotive cells and NMC in storage.

I think the current automotive chemistry could be called a modified NCA because it does have some silicon for better energy density. Tesla has been quiet about how much they have tweaked the chemistry beyond that. Somebody did compare the energy density between cells removed from a Tesla pack and commercially available Panasonic 18650s and found the energy density of the Tesla batteries was much higher.

Not really a true tech stock, but I agree that it is good to share your thoughts on 'support' stocks for tech, especially Lithium battery makers, like Tesla.
I was worried about the geopolitics of this company so I sold my holdings in it and now only have FMC and ALB as 'Lithium plays'.
It seems magical things happen when a stock goes over $1.00/share, the focus goes towards it. I like my ALB, and some of the juniors I own.:):D caution is always advised

Bloomberg New Energy Finance

BEV unit predictions

slope-1.png

stairs-5.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
re Cobalt:
The number of opportunities to play Co are minuscule, and the extant ones are in a highly diluted vat of snake oil, in my opinion. I would say ggr's plan the only one which almost makes sense - letting someone else bundle tiny plays into one that could provide returns.

That said, my own swath of Alaska does indeed have a fair number of Co-rich strikes; these were sniffed out in the 1960s and 70s and then forgotten for the subsequent decades. But the firms - and I use that term broadly - looking at them today don't rate even as Vancouver Exchange penny stocks. Nevertheless, at least I am physically very much at Ground Zero in that regard.

re Lithium:
We have a reasonable position in Chilean miner Soquimich; I'm assuming most of you have at least passing knowledge of it. SQM is one of the major Chilean industrial organizations and has been mostly on the losing side of a power play with the Chilean government...BUT: their diversified interests mean that their bread-and-butter is ag chemicals; Li has been their zippy sauce. Although they now are losing their Chilean franchise, their production expertise and reasonable financial heft means they are likely winners in developing major Argentinean deposits.
Our stake in SQM is from May 2014 at a net price of $30.41, giving a gain of 59.5%; it is slightly under 2% of our portfolio.

We have a small position in prospective junior Lithium Americas, LACDF. It has a good landholding in interestingly-mineralized northwestern NV and a jv with SQM in Argentina. We established a speculative holding in it also in May 2014 at net $0.49, giving a gain of 130%; it now makes up approximately 1% of our holdings.

I would be interested if those handy at bringing to this board a comparative performance graph of the various Li plays - those two, Albemarle and so on - over the past five or so years.

eCobalt Solutions does not seem to be an ETF:

"eCobalt Solutions (“eCobalt” or the “Company”) is a well-established Canadian mineral exploration and mine development company"

Home
My mistake... sorry for misleading people. Now that you've reminded me, I was searching for an appropriate ETF, but found this instead... and didn't find any ETF.

It's up 61% since I found it in early Feb.

“The tender doesn’t actually tell you how much cobalt they want. They tell you how many EVs they want to make, you have to work out the cobalt content yourself,” one cobalt industry source said.

“They want a fixed price, which won’t work for people who need security and they want to reserve the right to not take metal they don’t need,” another cobalt source said. “They want producers to take all the risks ... they want an option at low prices, for long maturities at zero cost.”

“There’s a section on sustainability... asking what processes are in place to make sure the cobalt does not come from child labour in the DRC,” one said.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

_780x403-u4qa6yvxbb.gif

Reactions: neroden