Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Saga continues.....Regretting this purchase

What should i do?

• This is the normal "Tesla" experience

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Hire a attorney

Votes: 36 49.3%
  • Keep wasting time and letting them try to fix

Votes: 24 32.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are missing the fact i could not get into the car at all.

I think he meant that if you google "tesla dead key fob" you'll get a bunch of links showing you how to enter a Tesla with a keyfob that has no battery and then start it.

Every car for sale in the US has a requirement to be able enter and start the car when the fob battery is dead.

Not at all, but I did assume your phone has internet browsing ability (before the battery died of course), so maybe that's where I went wrong. ;)
It’s amazing how so many people here will try to make excuses for a terribly run company selling 6 figure cars. Tesla needs to get their act together that’s the bottom line . My time is valuable and should not be spent going in circles having elementary level issues fixed that should of never left the factory let alone caught before the sale.

It’s amazing how so many people here will try to make excuses for a terribly run company selling 6 figure cars. Tesla needs to get their act together that’s the bottom line . My time is valuable and should not be spent going in circles having elementary level issues fixed that should of never left the factory let alone caught before the sale.

No argument that it's terribly run, but you don't have to be a victim:rolleyes:

Reactions: Chaserr
Not making excuses, just offering some hindsight. If the phone battery is running low, I'd be searching Google or even make a quick post here on TMC, maybe someone viewing at the time could help. While Tesla should have caught the low battery, it happens - I had a non Tesla rentals where the fob died a couple of times. I also had one with expired plates. Mistakes happen. As for googling the answer, I do it with every company, Google it first before calling support is just faster and therefore more efficient for me. I usually leave the difficult questions I can't find answers to quickly for support.

Last edited:
The worst part is that now the model 3s are out my local SC does not even have loaners. It matters because I need a Model X to fit my 3 kids and all their stuff, and it's a pain to transfer kids stuff / car seats back and forth every time I go in.

Imagine how we feel when we take in our Winnebago View RV (Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis) to Mercedes For service on our Sprinter chassis and they give us a car as a loaner. No refrigerator, no bed, no generator, no bathroom, no kitchen (including the kitchen sink), no solar panel... :cool:

Reactions: Pentium2004
I bought a brand new ModelS. Worst car I've ever bought and the worst customer service experience I've ever had with a car. Tesla are now working on buying the car back. That should probably take another month.

The build quality and quality control are astonishingly poor. The interior of a new Honda Accord is superior, seriously, go compare them. I'm actively encouraging people I know to NOT buy Teslas based on my own experience. If Porsche or someone else that knows how to build a quality car had a viable competitor available NOW I would roll the dice on that instead.

Get an attorney. Go crazy and get your money back.

I bought a brand new ModelS. Worst car I've ever bought and the worst customer service experience I've ever had with a car. Tesla are now working on buying the car back. That should probably take another month.

The build quality and quality control are astonishingly poor. The interior of a new Honda Accord is superior, seriously, go compare them. I'm actively encouraging people I know to NOT buy Teslas based on my own experience. If Porsche or someone else that knows how to build a quality car had a viable competitor available NOW I would roll the dice on that instead.

Get an attorney. Go crazy and get your money back.
Tell me about your experience and the process if you would please!

Purchased an inventory P90DL, had issues, after many (many) trips to SC filed lemon law paperwork which eventually lead to Tesla buying the car back. Keep records and don't wait to file your Lemon Law paperwork. It is a SLOW process but it will get their attention. Best of luck.

I've began the lemon law process starting last monday. Can you PM me and give me some insight of what you had to do to eventually get the car bought back?

Make a service appointment. Get a tech to drive your car with you and verify the problems. Schedule to bring the car back at a later date. Get a copy of the service paperwork where the tech just verified your problems. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Dates, times, names. Take photos of everything. error messages. things that aren't right. Take videos of problems happening. Make recordings of the noises. Document everything you can. Get the contact information of the service manager for you service center. Start complaining to them everytime something happens. Tell them that you have confirmation of the problem from a Tesla Tech. Start sending them samples of your documentation. photos. videos. recordings. Start tweeting @elonmusk and @ tesla. Don't be a jerk. Ask for help but be direct that you know you have problems that shouldnt be happening. Start including some of your documentation. There is nothing more motivating than more bad PR right now. Persistence is key.

Eventually, they will want your car for a while. Make sure you get a loaner. Then you're at their mercy to decide what they are going to do. Lemon Laws are pretty clear about triggers and remediations.

Get an attorney involved.

Go to a Tesla sales center and start complaining about your problems and asking lots of questions. Make sure it's busy. Make sure you get attention from other potential customers. You only have to cost them a couple of sales to make the cost of solving your problem the cheaper option. Be prepared to show other potential customers your videos and photos and documentation. Scaring someone off from a 100k purchase is pretty easy.

Make a service appointment. Get a tech to drive your car with you and verify the problems. Schedule to bring the car back at a later date. Get a copy of the service paperwork where the tech just verified your problems. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Dates, times, names. Take photos of everything. error messages. things that aren't right. Take videos of problems happening. Make recordings of the noises. Document everything you can. Get the contact information of the service manager for you service center. Start complaining to them everytime something happens. Tell them that you have confirmation of the problem from a Tesla Tech. Start sending them samples of your documentation. photos. videos. recordings. Start tweeting @elonmusk and @ tesla. Don't be a jerk. Ask for help but be direct that you know you have problems that shouldnt be happening. Start including some of your documentation. There is nothing more motivating than more bad PR right now. Persistence is key.

Eventually, they will want your car for a while. Make sure you get a loaner. Then you're at their mercy to decide what they are going to do. Lemon Laws are pretty clear about triggers and remediations.

Get an attorney involved.

Go to a Tesla sales center and start complaining about your problems and asking lots of questions. Make sure it's busy. Make sure you get attention from other potential customers. You only have to cost them a couple of sales to make the cost of solving your problem the cheaper option. Be prepared to show other potential customers your videos and photos and documentation. Scaring someone off from a 100k purchase is pretty easy.

I've done pretty much everything you've listed except get my lawyer involved. The one thing I know about Tesla is that they freeze up and instantly push you to their legal team when you mention lawyer. My lemon law notice was filed and they are about 2 days away from missing their window where they should contact me about it and tell me how they will resolve. From what I've read if they don't respond in time it's instantly assumed to be a lemon.

Hey Crunchtime; sorry to hear about your issues with your car. First I want to say my experience was quite opposite than yours. I bought a 90D demo Model S and was told it would have up to 500 miles on it. Being that it was a demo car I got a substantial discount on the price. It was shipped to Georgia from NJ and took about 3 weeks to arrive. When it did arrive I was shocked and thrilled to see it only had 5 miles on the odometer. I can honestly say, I've not had a single issue with the car as yet. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. I get a kick out of learning about some of the features that I didn't know it had. I had one issue where I kept getting low air pressure in one of the tires. After a few days, I called the SC and they told me to bring it in. I had already installed wheel bands on my wheels and when the technician saw he said he may not be able to put it back on the wheel in question. After about half an hour my car was ready and the wheel band was still on the car. They brought me a nail they found in the tire which caused the leak. They didn't even charge me for the repair. I had one other issue later on where the Slacker stream service got disconnected and would not reconnect for some reason. I called my sales guy and he gave me the password for slacker. Although that still did not work, it did connect back a couple of days later on its own. My point is that I have had exceptional service from the people I've been working with from the sales people on down to the SC. The sales person that walked me through everything when I first went to look for a car gave me his number and I can call him anytime I have an issue or question and he has never failed to respond.
Now with all that said, you have a totally different situation. If it were me, based on your description, I would have never taken possession of the car. It sounds like there is a big difference between what you contracted for and what you actually got. A side note; everything you have experienced is the very reason many states did not like the Tesla model of selling cars. There is not really a dealership that is held accountable in the state where state laws dictate lemon laws and such. You still have a case but it is just tougher to get satisfaction than it would otherwise have been through a normal dealership. I read some of the other comments saying you should be patient and nice and they will be nice to you. That is total BS. Customer service is something you bought with the 100k car and they should have treated you with respect. It doesn't sound like you were a raving maniac; just someone who wanted an intact new car that you paid for. Based on everything you said, I think you would be well within your rights to see the advice of a lawyer.

Reactions: Pentium2004