Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Superchargers are Wide Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at Columbus at around 2PM on Saturday last weekend. There was a Model X that was just pulling out as we arrived, then we had the place to ourselves for the rest of the time.
I guess sometimes how crowded a SpC is can be random. This weekend I was on a trip and pulled into what was an empty SpC. as I was backing into my slot 4 other teslas arrived, voila crowded SpC.
on my return trip the same SpC was empty the whole time that I was there.

Is it only for the 4WD or both 4WD and RWD?

Either would work, the sand on the 'driving' part is generally hard pack. I would have no concerns with RWD.
20170417_173224.jpg

I did daily go to the car wash (wand type that you use and control) to spray off all the salt and sand. Had to do it anyway as the windows were dangerous at night from all the spray in the area. Like a constant window fog. Cleaned it as we left, then all the stupid bugs hit around Victoria. Here's a shot from the front of the car at the Victoria Supercharger (keeping the thread on track).
20170414_142120.jpg

I've seen that kind of lull/surge pattern a lot. I'm sure it's been studied. I didn't mean to imply anything other than when I was there, it was empty, so at least it wasn't an all-day thing. Too bad we have just two data points. It would be interesting to see Supercharger usage graphs like Chargepoint has. That was helpful on my last trip is deciding which overnight parking garage to use for a destination charge. One was used consistently (commuters) whereas another was rarely used (convention center).

During the 90 days from January to March, Texas added three SuperCharger locations:
- Ozona
- Van Horne
- Junction
to make the total 21 SuperCharger locations.
During that period, I tracked a 22 day "Reduced Service" situation at the N. Houston Supercharger -- which I personally experienced as about 50-60% the expected charging rate when charging. I also daily checked the other 20 locations on my Nav -- finding no Tesla-reported problems. My rough math indicates that 20ish chargers (including the new ones) operated without significant issues during this period -- for a total of 5 Charger-site-years of correct operation while the N. Houston was having its issues for a 1/4 of the time observed.

Given that the chargers are lightly used in Texas as compared to typical California chargers, I only expect that the reliability of the Texas chargers will be reduced with increased occupancy. If the condition of the N. Houston charger is representative of the broader TX network, it appears that the chances of the "reduced service" being at any given Texas Supercharger is in the ball-park of 1%.

At the rate I rely on Superchargers, it could be 5 years before I see another "reduced service". Incidentally, during this period, I found the HPWC (used 4 times in central Texas) to be generally reliable, except where Tesla gives the wrong address (and GPS coordinates) for a location -- as they do from time to time.

Either would work, the sand on the 'driving' part is generally hard pack. I would have no concerns with RWD.
View attachment 223294

I did daily go to the car wash (wand type that you use and control) to spray off all the salt and sand. Had to do it anyway as the windows were dangerous at night from all the spray in the area. Like a constant window fog. Cleaned it as we left, then all the stupid bugs hit around Victoria. Here's a shot from the front of the car at the Victoria Supercharger (keeping the thread on track).
View attachment 223295

We were also in Port A with our new red Model X this weekend. We kept her off the beach and charging at the beach house for most of the time. We came from Austin so went through San Marcos and Three Rivers, had no issues with crowds at either one of them. Where did you charge while you were in Port A?

We were also in Port A ..... Where did you charge while you were in Port A?
I charged at the airbnb I stayed at in Port A. I have a 45 ft custom made SOOW 'dryer' extension cable - 30A (24A actual) 240V charge rate. Worked perfectly as my wife kept driving into Corpus looking for resale shops (her 'hobby') so needed 150+ miles of range daily from home charging.

Reactions: vrykolas
I charged at the airbnb I stayed at in Port A. I have a 45 ft custom made SOOW 'dryer' extension cable - 30A (24A actual) 240V charge rate. Worked perfectly as my wife kept driving into Corpus looking for resale shops (her 'hobby') so needed 150+ miles of range daily from home charging.

I'd love to find out more about where you got that cable, it would have made our time less stressful as I kept worrying that we wouldn't get enough charge from the 120V outlet to make it back to Three Rivers! (we did)

Made it myself... Three parts - replicate at your own RISK!!!!! (but mine works great).

1. Legrand Pass & Seymour 30 Amp 125/250-Volt NEMA 14-30/14-50R Surface Mount Power Outlet - Black-3884CC6 - The Home Depot
2. Southwire 10-4 SOOW Black 600V (By-the-Foot)-55809699 - The Home Depot (buy as much as you want, but not more than 50ft for a 30amp (24a continuous) draw cord - mine stays perfectly cool running for 8 hours @ 24A). Technically, you can buy the less heavy 10-3 SOOW wire and not connect the neutrals and label for TESLA USE ONLY - again do so at your own risk.
3. Amazon.com: Eaton S21-SP-L Commercial Grade Range and Dryer Angles Plug with 30-Amp, 125/250-Volt, 14-30-NEMA Rating, Black: Home Improvement

Also bought this from Tesla, so I never have to remember to switch the UMC to a lower amperage, does it automatically with: Tesla — NEMA 14-30

This will plug into all modern dryer outlets (the 4 prong type). I have used it three times now - I look for Airbnb with a dryer within range of where I'm parking the car and a window I can run the cable through. First place had a garage with laundry room attached.