Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla-approved body shop turned off mobile app access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And how is that supposed to prevent injury to the car when the tech jumps and knocks the tool into your $100K aluminum body work when the horn honks or the moon roof suddenly opens for no apparent reason?

That really has nothing to do with my point. I'm simply stating that it shouldn't be possible to "lose a finger" in the pano roof.

Earlier this week, I took my MS in for a long-awaited (parts delay from Tesla) repair/replacement of a damaged quarter panel. Last night, I thought I'd ping the car via the mobile app to see exactly where it was, etc.

On the app, a box popped up, "Mobile App Remote access is OFF," with instructions on how to turn it back on via the 17" screen.

I haven't called the body shop, but am considering doing so. Why would they turn mobile app access off? Do you think they have the right to do this?

Tesla trains them to do this so you are no honking the horn or starting the car. It's for safety reasons. I asked the same thing and that is what I was told.

Many Tesla service centers (and by extension, Tesla-approved body shops) will disable remote access for the reasons mentioned above (horn, sunroof, lights, etc.) In the early days, too many people did stupid things.
Tesla Service Centers will also disconnect dash cams while the car is in for service. They don't want cams recording anything in the shop that be considered secret.