Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Time Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Canada's different -- everyone there is nice! And no one feels entitled to take someone else's time. I sometimes see celebrities eating dinner at a restaurant here and am appalled at the brazenness with which people interrupt them and bother them for autographs, pictures etc. and get angry if they don't comply. I suspect you'd never see that sort of behavior in Ottawa!

True enough, although every society has its jerks.

It will take over a year but eventually the neighborhoods that you frequent get inured to your presence. You'll be able to take the occasional trip without any Tesla time. This really comes home to you when you drive outside your usual areas, and suddenly your car is a rock star again.

The Roadster attracts a lot of attention because it looks like an exotic sports car. Anyone remotely interested in cars notices it (and many aren't and don't). The Model S might get away unnoticed more often; but anyone who does notice it will be all over it. They'll either be wondering what the heck it is, or they'll know what it is and be even more curious. It will be interesting to see if it attracts as much attention as the Roadster.

Canada's different -- everyone there is nice! And no one feels entitled to take someone else's time. I sometimes see celebrities eating dinner at a restaurant here and am appalled at the brazenness with which people interrupt them and bother them for autographs, pictures etc. and get angry if they don't comply. I suspect you'd never see that sort of behavior in Ottawa!

Clearly, you've never been to Toronto.

The Roadster attracts a lot of attention because it looks like an exotic sports car. Anyone remotely interested in cars notices it (and many aren't and don't). The Model S might get away unnoticed more often; but anyone who does notice it will be all over it. They'll either be wondering what the heck it is, or they'll know what it is and be even more curious. It will be interesting to see if it attracts as much attention as the Roadster.

People still seem to notice it. Maybe not as much as the Roadster like you said but have still had plenty of people ask me about it or give the thumbs up as I'm driving by.

Clearly, you've never been to Toronto.

I'm in Toronto all the time! I'm a Canada-phile, so I think all Canadians are generally nicer and more agreeable than most other people around the world. Also, you may only be comparing people from Toronto to other Canadians, but compared to most, Toronto is still by and large filled with really nice people!

The exception are the Canadians who are snowbirds to South Florida every winter, mostly because they're just terrible drivers. But they're very nice about clogging up our roads. :wink::biggrin:

Some of that trickles south of the border. I saw a celebrity signing autographs for admirers a couple weeks ago. As I started to pass by him in an attempt to give him some room, he glanced up at me. I acknowleged with a knowing smile. Normally I try to avoid eye contact with celebs but I was passing by too closely. As I walked past he smiled, reached out, took my hand and kissed it. :redface: As I continued on I thought that was his way of showing appreciation.

You are right about our Canadian neighbors. They are awesome, friendly and fun people in general.

People still seem to notice it. Maybe not as much as the Roadster like you said but have still had plenty of people ask me about it or give the thumbs up as I'm driving by.

The thumb's up is perfect -- an acknowledgment of the car without any significant time commitment. I have a friend with a 1968 Corvette, and when we drive around in it he gets tons of people looking and giving him thumb's up, and it's a lot of fun. But rarely does anyone stop to ask him about it because everyone knows that's in an old Vette.

I'm in Toronto all the time! I'm a Canada-phile, so I think all Canadians are generally nicer and more agreeable than most other people around the world. Also, you may only be comparing people from Toronto to other Canadians, but compared to most, Toronto is still by and large filled with really nice people!

The exception are the Canadians who are snowbirds to South Florida every winter, mostly because they're just terrible drivers. But they're very nice about clogging up our roads. :wink::biggrin:

My experience is mostly with those from BC.

The stereotype is that Fort Lauderdale is mostly French-Canadian in the winter time. If you've ever driven in Montreal you'll know that the car is considered expendable!

I'm in Toronto all the time! I'm a Canada-phile, so I think all Canadians are generally nicer and more agreeable than most other people around the world.

I'm originally from Ft. Lauderdale (Plantation), and my brother lives in LA. I worked downtown Toronto for over 20 years although now work in a smaller city, so that is my term of reference. I think, like everything, "your mileage will vary", but I've personally found some of the most friendly and helpful people in New York. Interestingly, a lot of Canadians themselves are not all that fond of Torontonians! Fortunately for me, I have dual US/Cdn citizenship, so I can live anywhere in the two countries I want. (I wish I had a current US address to take delivery of my car there and save the darned duty we have to pay in Canada).

Love that. Did you make that? Need to find a place that can print that out as a window sticker.

It should have the NEW logo. Like the T at the top of this page!

This is for GB:
Tesla should have a busineess card holder make with a Tesla logo on it. It would be filled with Tesla cards and placed in every new car glovebox. Refilling it should be part of all service calls.

It should have the NEW logo. Like the T at the top of this page!

This is for GB:
Tesla should have a busineess card holder make with a Tesla logo on it. It would be filled with Tesla cards and placed in every new car glovebox. Refilling it should be part of all service calls.

I'm fond of the old logo but that makes sense to use the new one.

Tesla should probably ask people if they want it included in the car but a great idea.

I would take the brochure route. You're local store will be happy to give you a stack.

But for me I just spend the few minutes to talk about the car. I've never had anyone try and truly monopolize my time. Typically they are going somewhere too and so I've never had an interaction last longer than 5 minutes. I try to plan my life such that 5 minutes won't matter and so haven't needed to brush anyone off. Just yesterday I was leaving the grocery store and a mother and daughter had parked next to my Roadster and were looking at it as I walked up. They asked some questions and ended with the woman saying to her daughter, "Your father would be really happy with one of those." As VFX said I find it fun to spread the gospel.

I'm originally from Ft. Lauderdale (Plantation)......

(I wish I had a current US address to take delivery of my car there and save the darned duty we have to pay in Canada).

Small world -- I work in Plantation! I drive by the Tesla store (about 10 minutes from Plantation) every day to/from work.

Couldn't you have used your brother's address for delivery?!

- - - Updated - - -

The stereotype is that Fort Lauderdale is mostly French-Canadian in the winter time. If you've ever driven in Montreal you'll know that the car is considered expendable!

I will neither confirm nor deny that most of the snowbirds from Canada have Quebecois plates :), although there are enough Ontario plates as well. Between the two, there sometimes seem to be more Canadians than Floridians down here.

I would take the brochure route. You're local store will be happy to give you a stack.

But for me I just spend the few minutes to talk about the car. I've never had anyone try and truly monopolize my time. Typically they are going somewhere too and so I've never had an interaction last longer than 5 minutes. I try to plan my life such that 5 minutes won't matter and so haven't needed to brush anyone off. Just yesterday I was leaving the grocery store and a mother and daughter had parked next to my Roadster and were looking at it as I walked up. They asked some questions and ended with the woman saying to her daughter, "Your father would be really happy with one of those." As VFX said I find it fun to spread the gospel.

Strider, this is good to hear. When I read things like, "I went for milk at the grocery store and came home two hours later!", that's when I get worried, in part because if I meet a real enthusiast I'm going to want to speak to him/her, and not just say, "gotta run, here's a brochure!" I'm assuming it will be fun to spread the gospel, but I also need to keep my day job :)

I would love to have a nice, high density file of the Tesla logo. If someone has a brochure with the logo that they can scan at a high density, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

David
Roadster 1305
Model S 0055

Don't get me wrong - I've put in hours of 'Tesla Talk Time'. It's just nice to be able to get out of the conversation gracefully. And everyone likes to get a brochure, whether you have spent 2 minutes or 20 minutes talking to them.