Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Time Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shazzow!

IMG_0600.JPG

Thankyou Vistaprint for cheap fast turnaround! And thankyou westerndh for the PPT file!

Back to the original question.

I have had two cars that have turned heads and invited queries, both in good times and in bad.

The first was my Red colored car from Modena. Most of the owners agreed that it was your responsibility to educate those about your car: choose as you will - racing heritage, handmade parts, specs, etc. I, for one, almost always complied with questions at the forecourt (gas station) or even at the stop light (you are pretty much a hostage if your windows are down.

The second car (and one I currently own) turns ten times as many heads. It is simple, non complex, and has a 602cc horizontally opposed boxer (air cooled). It is a Citroen 2CV. Now, that one, I have a flyer in the back and will hand them to people who ask. When parked, I put it on the back parcel shelf (which was standard, by the way :smile:). I also speak to when spoken to, in the parameters of the first cars rules as well.

If I don't have time, I just say "It's my wife's car and I borrowed it to get milk and eggs"

They generally leave you alone then.

WJ

So far the S is flying under the radar a bit more than the Roadster; to non-enthusiasts it reads as just another high-end sedan. I did have a guy driving a Leaf pull up next to me on the freeway and give me a thumbs-up. And today somebody in a 4WD caught a glimpse of the S and did a double take as he crossed in front of me at an intersection, and then pulled over so he could get a good look as I drove on by. I've only been approached in parking lots a couple of times.

I'm amazed at how much attention the car is getting. I figured I would sink into the background with the Model S. I had 15 minutes of "Tesla Time" this morning while getting coffee ... and on the way back from getting the coffee, another car was idling in front of mine while the driver stared at it trying to figure out what was going on. "Luckily" they drove off before I got to the car so I didn't lose another 15 minutes :smile:

I'm 6'7" and the question I get is (you knew this would be it) "How do you get in that car?". That gets pretty old, almost as old as "How tall are you?". :p

Two days ago I took a fun drive to a lake. They have an AeroVironment charger, so I hooked it up and went to lunch.
When I got back out, someone had stopped her car behind mine and was busy taking pictures! Not only of the car, but the charger too. A bit much, I thought.
At that point I remembered that I needed to use the rest room. She was gone when I got out. I watched through the restroom window to make sure ;)

Cinergi and others --

Now that you have your MS and business cards, have you considered leaving a few business cards in an easy-to-take place on the Model S? I was wondering if I would leave a few on the window for taking or place that QR code in an area that could be scanned easily.

I had the garage door open this afternoon when the UPS delivery guy brought a package up to me for a signature. "Whoa, what is that?" he says, pointing at the Sig Red S in my garage. So I spent five minutes telling him about the car and the company and the solar panels on my roof and the Supercharger stations, etc. Chalk up another instant convert. He whipped out his cell phone and took photos to tweak his father with; the old man's apparently somewhat to the right of Attila the Hun and thinks his Detroit-made Cummins Diesel pickup with dual rear wheels is the only way to go. :rolleyes:

So, I haven't even got my car yet, but my Tesla jacket is already costing me "Tesla Time" to talk about the company and cars. Quite a few people have stopped me to ask about the company, but today on my way back from lunch a woman in our office was really interested. I took her into my office and showed pictures of the car's interior and exterior and now I already owe her a test drive.

See mentioned that she saw a keynote presentation a couple of years ago at an AutoDesk conference. I looked it up on YouTube and sure enough, it's Franz von Holzhausen giving a talk. He drives onto stage in what appears to be the prototype after its red makeover.

Here's the YouTube video.

As many here predicted, Tesla Time hasn't been an issue for me. Most people are enthusiastic but respectful of my time and ask good questions. The most surprising thing is how many people ask me if its an American car (and the surprise when I say, "Yes, in California" is awesome). I'd say at least 50% of people have asked this so far, and I don't exactly live in Detroit where people usually focus on that.

I met a reservation holder in the Whole Foods parking lot. He was surprised because he was under the impression that the car wasn't coming out until May! He was P10xxx, so I told him that they have to build the first 9000+ cars first before they get to his! A couple driving on the highway gave me a big thumbs up and took a picture of the car while we were both going 65 mph.

Ate dinner tonight at the W hotel on South Beach, and the valet said it was the first S they had there, and according to him they get "every" kind of car, including "multiple Fiskers, Bugattis, Maybachs, you name it". They were practically giddy, and my wife and I spent several minutes talking to people coming in and out of the hotel about the car. My wife (completely uninterested in all things Tesla) was very surprised by the enthusiasm and picture taking etc.

Its been fun so far, my kids think I'm a "celebrity" (I told them the car is the celebrity, not me!), and it hasn't interfered with my life as I was worried it might. I had to pay an extra $25 to park the car out front of the hotel ($40 instead of $15), but gladly did so to avoid valets going nuts with the car.

The car is a little dusty, and the door handles really show fingerprints, so I'm going out tomorrow to get some cleaning supplies at an auto parts store to clean the car myself. Need to keep it looking in tip top shape!

So far I've been ...
- flagged at a stoplight by a Prius owner yesterday who saw me take off at the previous stoplight and recognized the car. Usual questions: range, speed... I just say it is an awesome car and rattle off the answers, he responds I should give testimonials!
- took it out today, saw a guy gawking at the car while at the bank. Left wife inside to take care of business, went outside and gave the tour to a guy who is doing the test drive on Wednesday. Told him about the local Roadster charger (within walking distance of the bank) and showed off the car. The guy had done his research, knew what he was looking at.
- same afternoon at Costco ran into a co-worker of my wife's. Told him immediately that he has to see her new car. He asks why and with the response grabs the cart and goes OMG. Took a spin around the area while, again, wife takes care of business inside the store. When we return, end up talking to some folks with a Prius and get the usual questions. Turns out a plug in Prius is more their speed but they were also favorably impressed (the $70k pricetag for the 240 mile multiple times a week commute was a deal killer). Also, because of this forum, I knew about the options available.

Folks have been real nice, always ask about range and I always respond that it is awesome to wake up to a full tank every morning.

As a 2-1/2 year Roadster owner, I really encourage all the new Model S folks to be as patient as possible with "Tesla time." I have made SO many people's days with cheerful answers all over the western US and Canada. Yes, occasionally it can be a hassle when you are tired or in a true hurry, but my wife and I have also met and encouraged hundreds of people, and still love the experience of being an ambassador for EV's and for Tesla.

One of my most anticipated pleasures of having the Model S over the Roadster will be giving friends, family and new acquaintances rides more than one at a time!