Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Time Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chevrolet sent out a nice package to Volt owners a few months ago, including a hard bound book on the development of the car, and a vinyl window sticker with a QR barcode
600273_3542987407502_716929795_n[1].jpg

Sometimes the two hour bit is TPDT syndrome (Tesla Private Drive Time)...

...this is where you take two hours to go out to and get milk, but get to drive around by yourself with your tunes cranked for the last hour...(but tell the wife you were just answering questions the whole time...) :wink::biggrin:

Seriously though, I have done the two hour sermon a few times...

Strider, this is good to hear. When I read things like, "I went for milk at the grocery store and came home two hours later!", that's when I get worried, in part because if I meet a real enthusiast I'm going to want to speak to him/her, and not just say, "gotta run, here's a brochure!" I'm assuming it will be fun to spread the gospel, but I also need to keep my day job :)

Ok folks, once I get an idea....
I went to Vistaprint, uploaded my photo and had one 4.8"x4.8" vinyl decal made (~$11), then for $3 more got a page of 10- 2"x3" oval stickers (like the ones we always see with 26.2, UK, etc.), then really went crazy and ordered 500 plain white business cards all with the QR code I created and posted in my previous post. I included "Tesla Model S" and my name and email address on the business cards as well.
Grand total $42 with shipping.

Not sure I want that big 5" sticker on the car, but will probably put one of the oval ones on it....once it comes. I'll also have the cards ready to hand out and I think they'll be pretty cool in their simplicity.

Here's the business card:
tesla_card_QR.jpg

Last edited:
For what its worth, BMW provided a stack of business size cards with the ActiveE that has the "Electronaut" story on one side, and the specs of the car on the other. I've handed a few out so far.

For what its worth, BMW provided a stack of business size cards with the ActiveE that has the "Electronaut" story on one side, and the specs of the car on the other. I've handed a few out so far.

Tesla will do the same...for $200/yr or $700 every 4 years, they expire at the end of the year and if you don't buy them it voids your warranty.... :cool:

I thoroughly enjoy talking about it not only 'cuz I like attention :smile: but because it gives me a chance to educate people. People have either zero clue or the completely wrong clue. And I like to set the record straight. And they'll pass that along ('cuz the car is so cool, they'll tell their friends about their encounter). Watching them light up and "wow" over the car is what keeps me going.
I didn't see a lot of this in the suburbs. When you're in a big city (e.g. literally Boston for me), it's a little nuts with the Roadster. I didn't that much attention in the suburbs (where I've mostly been). I certainly got some, but it was quite manageable.

I'm planning on taking delivery at my office, in the John Hancock Tower (Boston edition). The Tower is mostly filled with fund managers, VCs (including Bain Capital), and the like, so I'm hoping that the delivery will attract a lot of favorable attention and follow-on orders. I'll undoubtedly spend far too many hours that day talking about the car!

I'm looking forward to some interesting Tesla Time chats! However, I'll be honest and state that my only concerns are safety when strangers are involved and wear and tear on the car as folks may treat it like demo/test drive cars if given a chance. I'll be more comfortable with folks that I know.

Tesla Window & Business cards

Efusco - brilliant idea with the QR code.

I've attached two rough designs using the QR code.

One as a window sticker, the other as a business card.

I figured it's worth incorporating a couple of headline features of the Model S.

QR Car window.jpg

QR business card generic.jpg

DM me if anyone would like this as an editable power point. The window sticker is 2.1" x 5.4" and the business card is standard 2" x 3.5".

I figured it's worth incorporating a couple of headline features of the Model S.

View attachment 10638
View attachment 10637

DM me if anyone would like this as an editable power point. The window sticker is 2.1" x 5.4" and the business card is standard 2" x 3.5".

These are great. Can you PM me? I was thinking a very similar thing to put on the bumper or the read windows: a QR code only though. I do like th bushjb6yhn kiness cards, however.

I figured it's worth incorporating a couple of headline features of the Model S

That looks great. I'd probably switch it to state EPA 265 mile range since even the Model S software uses that now as a range charge.

View attachment 10638
View attachment 10637

Those are great, the red logo in the center of the QR code looks really good. I'd like something similar with my black car instead of the red. I had also considered putting multiple specs on the back side...range speed, available battery sizes and such.

In any case, I think having just about anything to hand out will work, most people will throw it away, a few will shove it in their pocket and find it later and check it out.

I suppose, but because I currently reside in Canada, it might be hard to import and licence a US-spec car. Aside from that, driving from LA back to Toronto would be an adventure (until Superchargers are rolled out)!

But you could take delivery anywhere in the US! You could've done Niagara Falls, for example, and made it back to Toronto without too much trouble. I'm not recommending skirting the law, but just saying that would have been an option if your only holdup was a valid US address to place your order.

But you could take delivery anywhere in the US! You could've done Niagara Falls, for example, and made it back to Toronto without too much trouble. I'm not recommending skirting the law, but just saying that would have been an option if your only holdup was a valid US address to place your order.

You've got me thinking, but I'm not sure this would work. Even if I used my brother's US address (and presumably got California tags), then brought the car back to Canada, I would eventually have to get Ontario plates. To do that, all of the importing restrictions come into play. The only way to skirt this, as far as I know, is if you're actually moving to Canada from the US. (I was still living with my parents when we moved from Florida, and Dad brought his two cars across duty free).

Tesla has said they don't support or endorse bringing cars to other markets, so I wonder how they deal with people who legitimately move to another country? Mexico is specifically called out as being somewhere you can't take a Tesla, so what happens if someone moves there?