Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Yoke Lover’s master thread! 😀😍🥰😘

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For folks that have driven their Refresh for a bit please consider filling out this Survey on what you think of the Yoke.

Let’s get some real stats.

This survey I think is tending to attract folks that don’t like it. It’s fine to not like it but I don’t want to see folks scared away from the Refresh when I see so many positive comments on the Yoke and my own feelings towards it have been more positive than negative.

The survey itself is done rather well and I am curious what the thoughts are with some more statistics. Currently half of respondents don’t like the Yoke and I find that very hard to believe.

Reactions: Pdubs
Have the open minded owners noticed how smooth changing gears is while doing a 3 point turn? Have you noticed you can change gear BEFORE you even reach the “point” you change direction and when you get to the “point” you just step on the throttle.

In fact once you have it down I think you can do a 3 point turn quicker than in many cars (certainly as quick). Because you have already changed gear just before each direction change. It takes a bit of practice to do it smooth and time it just right. It’s kind of fun.

I have to do a 3 pt turn every time I back out if my garage.

I think non Yoke Tesla’s can flip gear ahead as well.

To add, I don’t mind my yoke being a yoke, I also don’t particularly like or dislike it either, I could take it or leave it.

What does bother me is the turn signals being attached. To be fair I think this would bother me the same even if it was a traditional wheel.

Even then, there’s only one action where it bothers me, which is a left followed by an immediate right, say when turning left onto a multi lane that I then have to turn immediately right on. (I don’t live in California with their odd ‘turn into any lane’ laws so that’s the ‘proper’ way here.) Signalling left to do the turn then attempting to turn on the right signal (while still completing the left turn) is super annoying with the buttons, IMO.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
The yoke is one of the most obvious and visible elements of the refreshed Tesla.

People who bought it and then decide to go on a personal crusade to change it act like Karens on this enthusiast forum. Fortunately, there is an Ignore function.

I suspect these are people who like to “drive” with their legs by holding a steering wheel with the top of their thighs - not feasible with the yoke.

For folks that have driven their Refresh for a bit please consider filling out this Survey on what you think of the Yoke.

Let’s get some real stats.

This survey I think is tending to attract folks that don’t like it. It’s fine to not like it but I don’t want to see folks scared away from the Refresh when I see so many positive comments on the Yoke and my own feelings towards it have been more positive than negative.

The survey itself is done rather well and I am curious what the thoughts are with some more statistics. Currently half of respondents don’t like the Yoke and I find that very hard to believe.

I filled it out with some yoking love

Here are some of the reasons that 110% of the users love the yoke when used correctly. The anti-yokers will not agree because it does not fit their narrative but for 42k miles in 18 states and thousands of roundabouts, 3pt turns, parallel parking, emergency maneuvers, etc, I have not hit or near hit one thing. It has been relaxing, uneventful, and safe. If it would tear it up too much, I would take this on an EVOC course.
1) Functions better than a round wheel. Safer - hands in a safer position.
2) Buttons in always the same location. When gripping the yoke, the buttons are always at your thumbs beckon call,
3) Visibility. Not just the objective side where there is definitely a unobstructed view (for me for the first time in a car) but the subjective side of the feeling of the openness.
4) You can make cool airplane sounds when using it.
5) Starbucks drive-thru employees think is is cool
6) I can tell which way the wheels are pointed with my eyes closed.

Horn could be better but that will come (eventually). I put those epoxy buttons on it and that did help with the horn. I would be okay if it had stalks but am fine without.

Basically a nothingburger and some people just need to tear their robes and cannot be happy until everyone is not happy. Those who do not like are fine and it is their car - do what you want. Just let some of us enjoy the car without you being militant that we must be fanboys, koolaid drinkers, deniers, crazy, etc. Take your meds and let us enjoy our yokes.
You're totally free to love your yoke as long as you recognize that every one of your purported advantages either false, applies equally to a wheel or just plain doesn't matter.

Case in point - I can make cool airplane sounds in my MY despite the fact that it has a wheel!
:)

Last edited:
You're totally free to love your yoke as long as you recognize that every one of your purported advantages either false, applies equally to a wheel or just plain doesn't matter.

Case in point - I can make cool airplane sounds in my MY despite the fact that it has a wheel!

Seriously? :rolleyes:

You are just jealous because the baristas do not think you are cool...

B3DE0208-770D-4BDD-BFF4-901B87837F45.gif

I hereby recognize that your purported recognition of the acceptance of yoke loving advantages is unrecognized in this purported yoke-loving thread so long as you recognize that the wheel purported unsubstantiated advantages just plain don't matter.

I never caved into a minivan. Went with SUV’s instead. The X was a pretty darn good SUV and I’m now forcing my S to fill that roll :) Hitch and all, so far so good.
No one wants to get a minivan and everyone hates them until they have one. Then they're just so danged practical that you can't give it up. Now that we have our MY the Odyssey is in semi-retirement, spending most of her time in the garage. The MY has a ton of storage space and is an incredibly practical car. It can even fit our daughter's harp! Glad your S is working for you!