Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There will be NO HW4 upgrade for HW3 owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct .. Elon said they could do full Fsd on HW3.. so I would expect full ongoing support.

I misunderstood, but I will still stand by my comment as it relates to software. How much software support are the AP1 cars still getting? Same thing will eventually happen to HW3 cars once HW4 cars have the numbers. Parallel development on two different hardware platforms is difficult, and I don’t expect Tesla to do it any longer than they feel necessary. Hopefully I’m wrong, but history does not support ongoing development on obsolete hardware

Based on the performance trajectory of recent updates, maybe no more support is a good thing.
There really is something to this. I like what I have now. Is it what I thought it would be when I bought it? No. But it’s pretty great. If they start removing things—Radar, USS….what’s next?—or adding things I don’t like—cabin camera nags, less follow distance, etc.—then maybe I don’t want any further “support”!

You all keep missing the simple first question (than NONE of us can answer). We don't have full self driving yet. Is it because of HW or Software? Tesla is claiming its because the Software isn't done. If they are correct, there is nothing more to argue/litigate/etc. and all we can do is wait. You'll loose any legal action because they have a strong track record of releasing software that demonstrates they are still delivering on their promise because it is moving (even if slowly) in the right direction.

If there is a HW limitation, then there is more to discuss. This will only be answered when a new vehicle with HW 4 is released and the same software is available for it and a HW 3 car. If the self driving behavior is significantly different, then we can light the torches and grab the pitchforks ;).

You all keep missing the simple first question (than NONE of us can answer). We don't have full self driving yet. Is it because of HW or Software? Tesla is claiming its because the Software isn't done. If they are correct, there is nothing more to argue/litigate/etc. and all we can do is wait. You'll loose any legal action because they have a strong track record of releasing software that demonstrates they are still delivering on their promise because it is moving (even if slowly) in the right direction.

If there is a HW limitation, then there is more to discuss. This will only be answered when a new vehicle with HW 4 is released and the same software is available for it and a HW 3 car. If the self driving behavior is significantly different, then we can light the torches and grab the pitchforks ;).

This is extremely true! Of course the cutoff will be a grey area which will be a pain in the ass to define.

I'd argue further that if it is shown that HW3 is unable to achieve FSD then there is a point in the last year or so where Tesla continuing to market FSD with HW3 was likely fraudulent. Hardware development cycles are generally very long. This means that a company knows if a hardware change will be required way way before they release it.

They'll get the single stack going and that will probably be basically it, that's the final piece for this iteration
and they will stop developing software for HW3 and focus on HW4. Promises such as robotaxi, the car is an appreciating asset were all BS. Why do you think Elon says they are building the best litigation department?

With no retrofit, its over for millions of drives who bought into FSD claims. Class action shall ensue

I’m watching the April 2019 Tesla Autonomy Day, and at 3:01:04, Elon says:

So we should be good! RoboTaxi would require at least L4 I imagine, so we already have the hardware for L4! (mostly sarcastic)

This is right after the previous quote. I listened to this part 10+ times trying to figure out if I missed a word or something to make this make sense. I’m guessing he misspoke and meant it would cost more to upgrade a car made before Oct 2016 than to make a new one?
We all got screwed. Millions of people who are still buying the old HW and have no idea paying 15K. This is Fraud at many levels as he repeatedly has said this in writing, in autonomy and investor days... they are all recorded.

and they will stop developing software for HW3 and focus on HW4. Promises such as robotaxi, the car is an appreciating asset were all BS. Why do you think Elon says they are building the best litigation department?

With no retrofit, it’s over for millions of drives who bought into FSD claims. Class action shall ensue
It’s normal to worry, and prepare for scenarios that are not favourable. Many are worried about the outcome of our cars.

However, It’s dangerous to make claims about someone, or a company, that haven’t happened, and are unknown.
That’s how irrational extremists are born, fighting for a cause that doesn’t exist, or exist yet. ….

Yep, V11 release on HW3 should be telling. If the system starts to feel more responsive there will be hope for a compromise HW3 solution. If V11.x/HW3 is more of the same after a few V11.x bug fix releases then we know.

Tesla is smart enough to anticipate the inevitable HW3/HW4 comparo and likely will only provide HW3 bug/safety fixes thereafter. Elon's style of sales and promotion is crooked as a used car salesman.

And if FSDb software releases feel slow now they might be even slower with V11's new and more abundant NNs, scenarios, and training.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTOman
As one of the less informed customers last December, I honestly wouldn't have bought the car at the time (let alone the $12K FSD package) if I had suspected that I would be left on a hardware island. Time will tell what happens with the advancement of FSD and what retrofits paths are (paid or unpaid) but at this point I have to say I feel extremely miss led about what FSD is and is likely to become for my car (and again, time will tell if this turns out to be an actual fraud situation or Tesla manages to meet its/Musk's promises).