Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK centred discussion] The cat is out of the bag. True FSD will never happen for cars below HW4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tumblr_2589d453868c4190654271aef42b6c8c_077a59bc_500.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
Of course FSD isn’t just about hardware. It’s about AI, Deep Learning and neural nets. Yoshua Bengio, one of the top worldwide researchers in Deep Learning, is saying that the neural nets we currently use are comparable in complexity to the brain of a frog. Can you teach a frog how to drive a car better than a human? I don't think so. The science is just not there yet. Tesla should refocus its efforts in driver assist, make their experience more enjoyable and forgot about robot taxis.

No doubt the true believers will tell me Tesla’s AI is so much more advanced, and we already know DoJo is going to solve everything. Perhaps Tesla’s neural nets have the brain of a toad.
Tesla's technology is prob far too advance compared to other autos. But they will use the Mobileye subsidiary of Intel who is also very advanced.

But you still need proper eyes even if you have Einstein's brain. More information on

1676520835552.png

Tesla's technology is prob far too advance compared to other autos. But they will use the Mobileye subsidiary of Intel who is also very advanced.

But you still need proper eyes even if you have Einstein's brain. More information on

View attachment 907734
In the uk we have minimum splay lines which generally wouldn’t allow such a restriction in view, but it can happen. But lower the camera and come to a junction like this with “street furniture” potentially blocking your view right, (picture was one that I found quickly, there will be worse examples) not to mention the crazy angle the car has to approach and you’ll still get difficulties. I had cameras in the front of bmw I had before I moved to a Tesla, impossible things to use. The car needs plenty of cameras to give more options and depth of field.

9EF9229D-B51F-4F44-A768-E7C26F9621EE.jpeg

Reactions: NewbieT
I fail to see Teslas's camera placement logic. The units probably cost less than a fiver each in the bulk they buy so you'ld think they would scatter them in more logical places, use a basic set but switch to redundant or other positions if the primaries can't 'see' or get dinged.

I fail to see Teslas's camera placement logic. The units probably cost less than a fiver each in the bulk they buy so you'ld think they would scatter them in more logical places, use a basic set but switch to redundant or other positions if the primaries can't 'see' or get dinged.
And overcomes the "sensor disagree" issues.

If three cameras can see, but one stream says "lookout, that might be a lorry" and the other two streams say "that's an advertising hoarding" you can use the data from the two that agree and discard error. With one camera, you better have faith in the logic stream flowing from that one camera.

And overcomes the "sensor disagree" issues.

If three cameras can see, but one stream says "lookout, that might be a lorry" and the other two streams say "that's an advertising hoarding" you can use the data from the two that agree and discard error. With one camera, you better have faith in the logic stream flowing from that one camera.
Personally a one in 3 chance of being crushed by a lorry is not acceptable!

Exactly why cameras by themselves are not safe. A camera even from three different angles is only processing visual data. Unlike lidar, radar, sonar which work on time of flight to determine if there is a physical object, where, and whether it is likely to present a conflict.

HW3 seems to be the zenith of safety for camera-only - not very.

On the other hand HW4 specs suggest they will finally add a front bumper camera.
Meaning real Birds Eye view incoming, but again, not backwards compatible so only for mid-2023 cars (and possibly S/X only at the beginning).

I see that as another admission of BS from Elon who declared in 2018 they could vectorize and stitch the existing ones…. Apparently not if they feel the need to add new ones and move them around

Animals sorted this out either with stereoscopic vision or by head movements to gain another angle plus exotic adaptations like 2 focal 'centres'. If aiming to better human vision then why not emulate a hawk..paired high def cameras on swivels with 8 times human acuity.
That is akin to Lidar, no? Except lidar fires off in 360 degrees, rather than swivelling. Although some lidar is on a turntable, admittedly - but the modern diode systems are static.

That is akin to Lidar, no? Except lidar fires off in 360 degrees, rather than swivelling. Although some lidar is on a turntable, admittedly - but the modern diode systems are static.

Not exactly. Lidar is active - it fires light out and measures the timing of what comes back, then can accurately calculate range from time of flight. Animal eyes are passive receivers only. We get some range estimate from binocular vision and head movement paralax, but most comes with experience/knowledge of how big things we recognise are. An ability sadly not shared by Father Dougal.

Not exactly. Lidar is active - it fires light out and measures the timing of what comes back, then can accurately calculate range from time of flight. Animal eyes are passive receivers only. We get some range estimate from binocular vision and head movement paralax, but most comes with experience/knowledge of how big things we recognise are. An ability sadly not shared by Father Dougal.
Are you saying, some things are small, some things are far away?

Reactions: LiamPope
I started off thinking FSD only had to have a lower accident rate than a human driver to be acceptable. But now I think that if the accident is outside the control of the passenger it has to be orders of magnitude lower to be acceptable. We see this with all the investigation and regulation that happens following a railway or airline accident and even following a bus or coach accident even though all those modes of transport are already much much safer than travelling in a car.

• Love
Reactions: Astrape and CWT3LR