Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There will be NO HW4 upgrade for HW3 owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because the FSD does not make a determination to make the left turn as quickly as you do does not make it not-an-FSD. It will creep, try to find more data, then some more data and then combine all of that to make some good information whether to continue with the action or stop and gather more data. It is doing FSD work. Just slower and more diligent than you would be.
The difference is, humans, can turn their necks and body to visualize oncoming traffic for left turns. Do the cameras in our cars do that? Why do you think they are putting more cameras and in particular on each side of the bumper?

If this is the case with mild drizzle in Southern California, then how is FSD going to function in Midwest and East coast?
It’s a historic storm, to be fair.

But anyway it is not really going to “work” anywhere, so it is kind of something we don’t have to worry about. Thankfully!

They’re disabling it because there is no point in allowing the testers for the L4 beta candidate to test in that ODD right now. No point in taking the risk, if you have so much to master in the easier ODDs!

It’s a historic storm, to be fair.

But anyway it is not really going to “work” anywhere, so it is kind of something we don’t have to worry about. Thankfully!

They’re disabling it because there is no point in allowing the testers for the L4 beta candidate to test in that ODD right now. No point in taking the risk, if you have so much to master in the easier ODDs!
True. But the historic storm hasn't reached where you and I live yet (San Diego).

I, like many others, have been all indignant about paying for a feature in 2018 (I paid for FSD separately from EAP) with no delivery as of yet but plentiful broken promises. I have also been insistent since after end of 2019 that I would never buy FSD with a new Tesla again, and that opinion has only been validated by the ridiculous price increases, the addition of the subscription model, and now the lack of HW3->HW4 upgrade path. I would be shocked to hear that any rational person having done just the slightest due diligence is buying FSD with their new Tesla at this point.

All that said, while I love my June 2018 Tesla M3, I am beginning to contemplate what my next vehicle may be. For various reasons I have developed the need for a larger (and higher) car with a more cargo room, but I have no desire for a truck or giant SUV as my primary vehicle. A 2024 MY is a distinct possibility, despite feeling somewhat burned by Tesla on the whole FSD debacle. But if it comes to pass that continued autonomous vehicle development, with a goal of, say, true L3 on highways, will only continue on the HW4 platform, I would probably take advantage of a program to upgrade my HW3 vehicle to a new HW4 vehicle if Tesla would let my FSD purchase carryover to the new vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
I, like many others, have been all indignant about paying for a feature in 2018 (I paid for FSD separately from EAP) with no delivery as of yet but plentiful broken promises. I have also been insistent since after end of 2019 that I would never buy FSD with a new Tesla again, and that opinion has only been validated by the ridiculous price increases, the addition of the subscription model, and now the lack of HW3->HW4 upgrade path. I would be shocked to hear that any rational person having done just the slightest due diligence is buying FSD with their new Tesla at this point.

All that said, while I love my June 2018 Tesla M3, I am beginning to contemplate what my next vehicle may be. For various reasons I have developed the need for a larger (and higher) car with a more cargo room, but I have no desire for a truck or giant SUV as my primary vehicle. A 2024 MY is a distinct possibility, despite feeling somewhat burned by Tesla on the whole FSD debacle. But if it comes to pass that continued autonomous vehicle development, with a goal of, say, true L3 on highways, will only continue on the HW4 platform, I would probably take advantage of a program to upgrade my HW3 vehicle to a new HW4 vehicle if Tesla would let my FSD purchase carryover to the new vehicle.
Based on your needs, you owe it to yourself to at least give this one a test drive...check the styling, quality of materials, features, 3.7 0-60mph, warranty, facial recognition system, Bang and Olufsen stereo, Genesis customer service ratings, and no lies about performance nor range.

But if it comes to pass that continued autonomous vehicle development, with a goal of, say, true L3 on highways, will only continue on the HW4 platform, I would probably take advantage of a program to upgrade my HW3 vehicle to a new HW4 vehicle if Tesla would let my FSD purchase carryover to the new vehicle.
Have they ever let any customer transfer FSD to a new vehicle? Never that I’ve heard about. Subscription FSD seems the only sensible way to proceed until Tesla fully proves something well beyond L2? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me…

I thought that they might be for the Semi...the ones delivered to Pepsi haven’t got FSD installed...and there are a lot of blind spots on a tractor-trailer
The photos of the Cyber truck also showed a front parking camera too (which probably also would be very useful for offroad usage). That might be the first car to have extra cameras (if the leaked Model S/X are officially HW4 and not HW3.5 or a interim version of HW4).

Have they ever let any customer transfer FSD to a new vehicle? Never that I’ve heard about. Subscription FSD seems the only sensible way to proceed until Tesla fully proves something well beyond L2? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me…
They haven't, even though a lot of people requested it (I believe there is a petition somewhere). If a lawsuit happens, perhaps some people would be persuaded if Tesla offers such an option.

They haven't, even though a lot of people requested it (I believe there is a petition somewhere). If a lawsuit happens, perhaps some people would be persuaded if Tesla offers such an option.
There are already quite a few, we’ll see.

Tesla says its self-driving technology may be a 'failure' — but not fraud

I thought that they might be for the Semi...the ones delivered to Pepsi haven’t got FSD installed
There's Semi hardware and software to view the additional cameras such as the 3 cameras on each side view mirror:
semi 3 cameras.jpg

semi camera view.jpg

It's not as clear if the software currently shows the front bumper camera or the interior camera:
semi front.jpg
semi interior.jpg

But the software does seem to show the rearward and downward cameras from the mirrors at all times and optionally the rear view camera. Assuming the triple forward cameras are in use, that's 12 cameras (3 front + 3 mirrors x2 + front bumper + interior + reverse) that are presumably connected to HW4 computer which has enough ports (including Spare) to accept these inputs.

Reactions: Bouba
Do we know how many HW3 vehicles are out there now? We're still on HW3 and this year the MY may overtake the Toyota Corolla as the biggest selling vehicle. If the number is large then there might be an incentive for Elon to figure out an upgrade - maybe to HW5 for example.

How many times has Elon said that X would never happen, and then it did? We know the other condition, stating that something will happen and it never does.

I'm looking more at what we know was said privately. I've never heard or seen Tesla/Elon publicly talk about Autosteer on City Streets, I've never heard them publicly use the correct terminology, I've only seen it in leaked correspondence.

View attachment 910458

The Camera feedback button and intervention/disengagement data etc are there to improve the user experience. In some cases they'll even send out dedicated teams, like in the case of Chuck's ULT -- it sounds like this stems from what Teslascope has relayed from employees where they started monitoring Twitter etc to improve the user experience.

HW4 and HW5 are examples of further iterative processes, and who knows how many iterations will be required.
Rewatch 2019 AI day