Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that if you leave out the passenger side door instead of the driver sode door, the car doesn't seem to want to shut down like normal.

In this case, since i was parallel parked and traffic was quite busy, i had to waite quite a while until traffic cleared, to open and shut the driver door so the car would shut down.

I have noticed that if you leave out the passenger side door instead of the driver sode door, the car doesn't seem to want to shut down like normal.

In this case, since i was parallel parked and traffic was quite busy, i had to waite quite a while until traffic cleared, to open and shut the driver door so the car would shut down.

Heh, that seems like a logic issue that assumes the driver always leaves through his own door. I guess it also happens if you leave through any of the rear doors or the trunk :)

If it doesn't assume the driver leaves via the driver's-side door, then it must rely on the seat sensor alone to determine driver presence status. Wasn't there also complaints earlier about people who lift their butts off the seat when driving in reverse and causing the car to "shift" into park?

This has been discussed upthread as a trick to keep the car (A/C, Music, etc.) running when you get out of the car.

The best way I've found is to shift into neutral and set the parking brake. The only down side is that it pings at you if you open any door since it's not in park. But you can open the trunk, play music and use climate control.

Oh, and the headlights remain on unless you manually turn them off.

Had the opposite issue today. I posted about it in detail in the 5.8 thread, but basically I was in the drivers seat waiting and my wife got into the passengers seat. When the door closed, everything shut off. It must have thought I left via the pax seat.

It also slightly altered my slacker radio station and I got to listen to some French music when I turned the car back on...

Here's a new one (I think).

Was playing with the door handles today. Seems like there is about a 3 second delay after the door closes before it will open again.

Test sequence is:

1. Close Door
  2. Immediately pull handle to open (and keep pulling)
  3. Window closes slightly
  4. Keep pulling handle
  5. After two or three seconds the door opens

Not earth shattering, but I now understand why I've occasionally had problems opening the door - or at least one explanation for a specific scenario.

This is likely already on the list, but I could not read the nearly 500 replies. I love how when using the nav that the IP display (not the 17" touchscreen ) scales out automatically at higher speeds and then scales in for more detail at lower speeds. On a recent trip as we came through smaller towns and slowed down this was a neat and unexpected detail.

Tesla Tips.png

Here's the newest version of the Tesla Tips and Tricks document, featuring fluxemag's beautiful Model S on the cover.

The previously noted tips and tricks that are no longer functional have been removed from the guide, and all new tips have been added to the end of each section.

To access the document, go to Geremology.com | Tesla Tips and Tricks.
Also, here's a direct link to the file: Model S Tips and Tricks.

Releasing the charge plug during a power outage

The charge plug is locked into the charge port but during a power outage the plug can't signal the car to release it. Tap the touchscreen "Chargeport" button (even though it shows the Chargeport as open) and it will release the plug.

To pre-heat the battery pack (along with the interior) in cold weather, turn range mode off (under Settings -> Vehicle) and turn climate control on (with the app) about 30 minutes before you drive. Charging right up until you leave also heats the battery pack. There is some battery pre-heating with range mode on, but it is much less effective. This works whether the car is plugged in or not, but it consumes a fair bit of range if not plugged in.

To pre-heat the battery pack (along with the interior) in cold weather, turn range mode off (under Settings -> Vehicle) and turn climate control on (with the app) about 30 minutes before you drive. Charging right up until you leave also heats the battery pack. There is some battery pre-heating with range mode on, but it is much less effective. This works whether the car is plugged in or not, but it consumes a fair bit of range if not plugged in.

Definitely correct. I've contacted ownership about Range Mode during preheating. It's totally counterproductive. You need to turn off Range Mode to get proper preheating.

Also it is worth emphasizing that only the Remote App turns on the battery heater. If you turn on the cabin heat from within the car it doesn't turn on pack heat.

You should add...

To clean or change wiper blades (software update):
Go to Controls, Vehicle, then Settings.
Wipers section, set Service Mode to On.
Wipers come up to 3/4 position and stop.
Turning off Service Mode, finishes the wiper cycle.

To clean the main screen (software update):
Go to Controls, then Displays.
Screen Cleaning Mode section, tap the Enter Screen Cleaning button.

To know when your brakes lights come on with regen:
Tap the Battery icon at top, the current/active status of the lights, and left turn signal and car doors will be shown.

What Jack Mode does:
Stops the car from actively trying to auto level the suspension.
Works at any height setting.
Falls out of Jack mode at 5mph.

To re-center the Fade/Balance of the audio system:
Rather than trying to drag and get the music back to center,
Just tap once near the center (back of arm rest), and the control will auto center the Fade/Balance back to 0/0.

Update on fog lights...
You do not need to have the car in drive or reverse to activate the fog lights, merely in an on status (seated, brake tapped).

Last edited:
Lights are on Auto, but not on, so only DRLs are lit. Then, it starts raining and you turn wipers on to auto and bang: headlights turn on too the same instant.

There might be a dusk threshold, but it has been repeatable for me.