Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about joining legal action on recent massive price cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, thank you guys and gals for honest feedback. I should've put (unpopular opinion), (putting triple layered flame suits) into the post.

Wrong place to ask I suppose.

Should've went to Porsche forum.

Sure, go to Porsche forum.. although I wouldn't outright say Porsche owner or aficionados are stupid either. The porsche you buy today is going to be worth less tomorrow, especially with the year-model principle every other brand apply.

So long...

Reactions: CarlK and Elixir
Do any of you know which firms are cooking up those ideas?

Untitled_5663b0e5-e083-4fc0-891b-23e06a9fa00d.png

• Funny
Reactions: mcbarnet007
With the recent major price reduction, I feel like I'm hit with the penalty for being a few months earlier adopter.

Not sure if I'd line up at the stores overnight or put reservation money.

I bet many of you, the loan balance is higher than how much you can buy the cars right now. Even with the tax credit refunds.

I can't even imagine how recent S or X owners feel right now.

You can easily disregard by saying 'that's how business works' but US is a country with lawsuits with a few MPG difference.

If there's no compensation gesture from Tesla, I'm willing to join a party with legal action. Do any of you know which firms are cooking up those ideas?

I'm with you. My Dell computer, Samsung phone, Samsung TV and Restoration Hardware furniture is literally worth half of what I paid for it just a few months ago. We definitely need to sue. Don't get me started on the major haircut I took on my Viking Applicences an the 48" wolf range. We should also sue Best Buy because they had a sale before Christmas and now I can buy an even newer model for less price so I certainly deserve equatable compensation there. Best Buy really doesn't have to do anything, they can just let me take an item of my choosing off the floor.

Has anyone seen the huge price reduction in Ammo lately. I have a huge haircut in ammo. Certainly they should be sued too.

Which legal firms can help us with these claims? Who else can join? Please post names and numbers here.

I'm curious what the OP believes the legal basis for a claim against Tesla would be. You can't just assert a desire to sue, you need to have been 1) damaged , 2) the damages were caused by Tesla and 3) that Tesla breached an obligation to you. I see a plausible argument for #1 and #2, but don't see how you can establish that Tesla had an obligation to you in this situation. Typically, a seller of goods and services has no obligation to a prior customer for subsequent price changes unless you could demonstrate fraud that induced you to buy at the price you did. For example, if you had been told that there would be no price reductions for a period of time and then it happened, that would maybe work.

This is the often cited legal basis of "millennial entitlement" caused by an abnormally skewed view of ones own importance which is usually directly correlated to the amount of posts and time they spend on facebook, instagram and twitter. It's a part of English Common law dating way back to 2009.

With the recent major price reduction, I feel like I'm hit with the penalty for being a few months earlier adopter.

I bet many of you, the loan balance is higher than how much you can buy the cars right now. Even with the tax credit refunds.

You can easily disregard by saying 'that's how business works' but US is a country with lawsuits with a few MPG difference.

If there's no compensation gesture from Tesla, I'm willing to join a party with legal action. Do any of you know which firms are cooking up those ideas?

I was expecting 20% depreciation with the car. I know it's a part of buying a new car. But I didn't expect it 120days after it showed up. I was thinking 18-24months.

If anything Tesla is more honest than other manufacturers who don't drop their sticker prices but provide massive incentives but oftentimes only for those in the know. I bought my 550i for almost $10,000 below invoice whereas the next guy that came in may have paid invoice and been happy..

Reactions: gilscales
@canyondrive, what would be a legal basis for a lawsuit? Purchase of a car is not an investment, legally speaking.

P.S.: I guess Tesla was smart not to offer leases before doing all these price cuts. One thing is to offend your customers (you just get a small subset of them disappointed, but most will agree it is not good but will not sue), another - financial institutions with an interest in such leases (as you may remember, Tesla required to provide a residual value guarantee to enable initial leases on Model S).

Reactions: Olle
If anything Tesla is more honest than other manufacturers who don't drop their sticker prices but provide massive incentives but oftentimes only for those in the know. I bought my 550i for almost $10,000 below invoice whereas the next guy that came in may have paid invoice and been happy..
Yes this, I leased a 2014 535d that had an msrp of just over 70k and final adjusted price was 57k and change 13k off sticker!, took me 4 hours to get the deal done after all my shopping on the phone, dealer agreed to my offer and when I got there they were so set on up selling me on crap to get the price back up that I got up to leave at least 4 times because it seemed they were going to renege, my wife was pisssed! at me! for not just leaving.
I earned that discount but I doubt many people got that deal.

With Tesla, we had everything done online and when we showed up for the appointment we walked around the car, signed some papers and let in less than 30 min. wife was so happy that day, worth it right there!

I have a dollar I would sell you for fifty cents today but i'm worried if sold another tomorrow for forty cents to someone else I might get sued so no deal bud!

Wow, terribly sorry but literally THE SUCCESS OF TESLA IS DUE TO US EARLY ADOPTERS. That's why they are alive and making a 35k car. Your Litigation culture is honestly some of the most disgusting behaviors I can imagine, and threatening this lawsuit is reprehensible. Please go back to Porsche.

Had everyone waited, the shorts would have been right. Tesla would have crashed out and we would not be watching the magic of economy of scale kick in and the 35k car a reality. Luckily we didn't have to give up much, we own and drive the best little sports sedan ever.

Just 4 years ago it was unheard of that a Tesla would go for 35k, it was a luxury only brand, that most could not afford. As the cost to manufacture goes down those who paid more by buying in early basically made it possible for the rest of the world. Tesla will be crushing the EV market for many years with this level of investment and foresight.

It's true. There are lawyers you can go to when Dodge puts a $5000 rebate on the truck you just bought two weeks ago. They will take a part of it but you still get money back. Heck, GM will give you any price reductions or rebates that give to new customers to existing ones for thirty days as well. NOT.

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r

I haven't read through the responses to your initial post yet, but I am a lawyer and I'll save you a lot of time and money: You have no claim. You and others in your situation got exactly the car you paid for. Tesla never promised that the prices will be the same for later purchasers and, in fact, it would be impossible to make a colorable argument that any such promise was ever implied.

Any law firm that would even solicit clients for a lawsuit like you describe is not ethical and would simply rip you off a second time.

Well, I don't think anyone was ripped off by Tesla, but you get what I mean.

Edited to add: For those who think they have a claim against Tesla for the price drop--if the prices had actually gone up instead of down, would you accept that Tesla has a right to charge you more, even though you've already received your car?

Last edited:
Well, thank you guys and gals for honest feedback. I should've put (unpopular opinion), (putting triple layered flame suits) into the post.

Wrong place to ask I suppose.

Should've went to Porsche forum.
As a prior Porsche 911 owner who recently acquired a model 3, I would expect even harsher feedback in the Porsche forums. The # of lawyers over there is significantly higher than here. :)

• Funny
Reactions: mwenn1 and brkaus
This is what Elon's vision was. Early adopters pay for the mass market car to save the world. So be happy for saving the world. Battery prices keep coming down, it is nice that Elon pass that customers to sell more cars and save the world. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.