Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Is The Model 3 Pre-Order Gift

Was this the pre-order gift you expected?

• Yes

Votes: 181 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 87 32.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed something interesting.. I reserved 2 Model 3s and received both gifts. I received the first one and it had Elon's signature on the top card. I thought they all came like that so when I received the second one with no signature, I began to wonder. At the time I thought it was just a typical digital signature on the card and thought nothing of it. But now I went back and looked at the first one and it does have an imprint which shows that someone/something physically signed the card, so it's not a digital signature.

I just would like to know how many received the gift with a signature on the top card. All the ones on ebay doesn't have a signature also.
Mine just says "-ELON" after the thank you

I was #2 in Montreal and still nothing. I hope this isn't indicative of the order in which we will receive our cars. If so, I'm starting to question why I bothered to camp out for 2 days....

I don't think so, international deliveries (even for their Canadian neighbours) is influenced by a lot of things which I guess includes a lot of paperwork so it is also partially in the government hands too.

But what I think will have the most importance is the number of sales (including S and X) in the USA so that they can maximize tax credits for ≡ buyers. It might help us (if they have to delay sales in the USA, so they can sell them to us instead) or it might force us to wait longer (if they have a good timing and want to sell as many as they can in USA).

On the positive side the planed Quebec’s Zero Emission law might help us to receive them before let’s say Ontario!

It's a small piece of paper with a drawing on it, not a special addition fob or anything. If you get it, cool, if not, who cares.

Sorry if I gave the impression it was critical for me. I was just sharing information with other Canadians so they know that they are not the only ones waiting and the it was not lost in the mail ;) I totally agree with you, an amazing car ASAP is what is important.

Apologies if this has been stated before: As the months roll on, and as the production date eventually nears the proverbial finish line, wondering if there will be future gifts. My philosophy: If you don't ask, you'll never necessarily know (or get).

In no particular order: A Tesla gift bag with swag? A chance to tour the Gigafactory? Under NDA, and especially if you reside in Bay Area (or "close enough"), being able to test drive a prototype Model 3? One (future) ceremonial share of Tesla/SolarCity stock? Based on current profession, education level, interests and writing ability, an opportunity to wikishare/open source future Tesla marketing collateral? A "golden ticket" lottery (or "pay to play" option) to see your Model 3 being built/painted in the final production stage? You get the idea...

Apologies if this has been stated before: As the months roll on, and as the production date eventually nears the proverbial finish line, wondering if there will be future gifts. My philosophy: If you don't ask, you'll never necessarily know (or get).
Why would you even think to ask? I can't get over the attitude that so many people seem to have that they are owed something for reserving a M3. The only thing any of us are owed is the opportunity to turn our reservation into an order. TM owes us nothing and anyone that received one of the design prints should be more than happy with that.

Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
Why would you even think to ask? I can't get over the attitude that so many people seem to have that they are owed something for reserving a M3. The only thing any of us are owed is the opportunity to turn our reservation into an order. TM owes us nothing and anyone that received one of the design prints should be more than happy with that.
I think because Tesla owes more than just a product to reservation holders. We put cash down on a car unseen with a delivery date 2-3 years away. We put faith in the company and perhaps all we deserve is a "thank you" from Tesla but any sort of physical object portraying that same thank you is most welcome. Tesla most often gives model S and model X buyers a "swag bag" with a few tesla branded gifts so it's not far fetched to wonder what Model 3 buyers will get.

I think because Tesla owes more than just a product to reservation holders. We put cash down on a car unseen with a delivery date 2-3 years away. We put faith in the company and perhaps all we deserve is a "thank you" from Tesla but any sort of physical object portraying that same thank you is most welcome. Tesla most often gives model S and model X buyers a "swag bag" with a few tesla branded gifts so it's not far fetched to wonder what Model 3 buyers will get.
I would take a 3rd quarter delivery next year - with no gifts.

It could happen..... I mean Tesla ( Elon ) just stated that they are paying back one of their loans "twice" as early as they promised. What about a delivery time that's earlier that their projection? Who would be mad at that? Investors? Customers? Tesla? The suppliers?

Again, why do they "owe" you anything? Nobody forced you to put your money down. You did it because you want your car before a non reservation holder. As such, Tesla HAS given you something: priority. But please get over this idea that you are owed something! People like this just come off as entitled spoiled brats.

You're missing the point, at least for a subset of reservation holders that waited in line. Nobody expected anything, of course. And then Elon tweeted that after he went down to the Century City location, he was blown away by the multi-hundred person lines at galleries across the continent (and world), and some in the wind and rain at that - iirc, they sensibly figured maybe 20-30 or even 50 people in line, but surely not 500 or 800. It was in that series of tweets that he said something extra would be headed to the line-waiters. Of course, with 115,000 or so of them, it would take awhile.

At that point, people recalled various kind gifts sent in the past for those who had waited years for their respective chariots - no line waiting, but still. And so there was a differentiation made between "usual and customary" gifts for those who made reservations (for example, to boost interest or to show appreciation just before next year's reveal) *and* the extra-special cool whatever that was headed to line-waiters.

As we sit today, some of the line waiters, and some of those who didn't wait in line but placed orders at galleries (showrooms) later in the day have received a smaller version of the artwork that was made available to the first M3 reveal event attendees. I eagerly await mine, which I am sure will be suitable for ironing and framing, and I plan to do both, should it arrive. And if it doesn't, despite being 7th in line that fateful morning, well, hey - it's the thought that counts, if not the execution. But make no mistake - since we were told to expect something, that's why many have been eagerly peering into their mailboxes lately like it's Christmas in July. And those who already have Model S/X who received something merely for making a reservation have asked if that will happen again as well. To your point, whether it's the most tasteful question in the world is debatable, but there is precedent.

Personally, I was beyond impressed that the CEO of multiple companies would take the time to go into the teeming hordes that morning and say thanks in the first place. Ever try to get from Beverly Hills/Bel Air to Century City on a weekday morning? Good luck with that. Traffic aside, how many CEOs of just one company would do that in today's day and age? Good stuff indeed.

Reactions: Microfrost
You're missing the point, at least for a subset of reservation holders that waited in line. Nobody expected anything, of course. And then Elon tweeted that after he went down to the Century City location, he was blown away by the multi-hundred person lines at galleries across the continent (and world), and some in the wind and rain at that - iirc, they sensibly figured maybe 20-30 or even 50 people in line, but surely not 500 or 800. It was in that series of tweets that he said something extra would be headed to the line-waiters. Of course, with 115,000 or so of them, it would take awhile.

At that point, people recalled various kind gifts sent in the past for those who had waited years for their respective chariots - no line waiting, but still. And so there was a differentiation made between "usual and customary" gifts for those who made reservations (for example, to boost interest or to show appreciation just before next year's reveal) *and* the extra-special cool whatever that was headed to line-waiters.

As we sit today, some of the line waiters, and some of those who didn't wait in line but placed orders at galleries (showrooms) later in the day have received a smaller version of the artwork that was made available to the first M3 reveal event attendees. I eagerly await mine, which I am sure will be suitable for ironing and framing, and I plan to do both, should it arrive. And if it doesn't, despite being 7th in line that fateful morning, well, hey - it's the thought that counts, if not the execution. But make no mistake - since we were told to expect something, that's why many have been eagerly peering into their mailboxes lately like it's Christmas in July. And those who already have Model S/X who received something merely for making a reservation have asked if that will happen again as well. To your point, whether it's the most tasteful question in the world is debatable, but there is precedent.

Personally, I was beyond impressed that the CEO of multiple companies would take the time to go into the teeming hordes that morning and say thanks in the first place. Ever try to get from Beverly Hills/Bel Air to Century City on a weekday morning? Good luck with that. Traffic aside, how many CEOs of just one company would do that in today's day and age? Good stuff indeed.
I was in line - in the rain. 2nd in line - Only a 5 hour wait.

• Love
Reactions: TaoJones
Again, why do they "owe" you anything? Nobody forced you to put your money down. You did it because you want your car before a non reservation holder. As such, Tesla HAS given you something: priority. But please get over this idea that you are owed something! People like this just come off as entitled spoiled brats.
I thought I gave a few reasons to your question. Even when I buy a car from Toyota or wherever, I fee like I'm owed at least a "thank you for your business". This can be expressed with a verbal thank you, or a gift like a t-shirt, free stuff or whatever. I've bought a few new cars and I've always received some form of gratitude from the company.

If Tesla took our money and gave us a car and only did what they were legally bonded to do, I don't think they would be as popular today.

Tesla has a history of giving away a few small gifts to owners at delivery. While this isn't mandatory, the frequency being so often has set at least a hopeful expectation that each owner will receive a small token of appreciation for trusting Tesla and choosing them.

I would take a 3rd quarter delivery next year - with no gifts.

It could happen..... I mean Tesla ( Elon ) just stated that they are paying back one of their loans "twice" as early as they promised. What about a delivery time that's earlier that their projection? Who would be mad at that? Investors? Customers? Tesla? The suppliers?
If they deliver early and maintain good quality and customer service, I think Everyone would benefit from that.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
You're missing the point, at least for a subset of reservation holders that waited in line. Nobody expected anything, of course. And then Elon tweeted ... that he said something extra would be headed to the line-waiters.

But make no mistake - since we were told to expect something, that's why many have been eagerly peering into their mailboxes lately like it's Christmas in July.
Yes, you're right, Elon said there would be a gift for the people who waited in line (I'm one of them and still hoping to get mine), and people have every right to expect and look forward to those since they were already mentioned. My comment was on the attitude that some people are expecting still more, and then there was the whole group of people that expected free autopilot or something.

Even when I buy a car from Toyota or wherever, I fee like I'm owed at least a "thank you for your business". This can be expressed with a verbal thank you, or a gift like a t-shirt, free stuff or whatever.
Well then everyone should just be patient, I'm sure that when your car is delivered the delivery person will say thanks. There is no reason to expect anything else in addition to what they've already sent to people.

Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
I don't think so, international deliveries (even for their Canadian neighbours) is influenced by a lot of things which I guess includes a lot of paperwork so it is also partially in the government hands too.

I think we're way past international delivery delay time. For a letter, even a big one, it should not take more than 2 weeks (10 business days). Since it's been over a month since the first people started receiving theirs, something else happen... hopefully we(non-US) weren't simply forgotten !

I received this today from Elon. It certainly wasn't necessary, and when I placed my reservation all I expected was a top quality car, hopefully by the end of 2017, but I think this was a thoughtful touch. Thank you Tesla! (I will not be putting it up on eBay for some absurd price)
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I realize this thread is about a gift and Its not my intention to derail it, however maybe you guys can clear some things up for me.
I received this today from Elon. It certainly wasn't necessary, and when I placed my reservation all I expected was a top quality car, hopefully by the end of 2017, but I think this was a thoughtful touch. Thank you Tesla! (I will not be putting it up on eBay for some absurd price)
View attachment 186984
Very very nice. I received one about a month ago. Did you wait in line?