Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Is The Model 3 Pre-Order Gift

Was this the pre-order gift you expected?

• Yes

Votes: 181 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 87 32.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone receive the 'token' who did NOT wait in line?

Asking for a friend who doesn't live near a Tesla location ;)
See, I was thinking that if this happened to me that I'd best not say anything to cause a small uproar among line waiters... I still placed my order on the 31st just like the rest of you... but I cannot afford to take off work to wait in line.

Reactions: melindav
First to get the potentially buggy models off the line.... would you mind terribly waiting a few weeks for a superior model.
It has been stated that the deliveries are going to occur from the West to the East. My questions is....what difference is it going to make that I waited in the rain for 4 hours in Chicago at a Tesla Store? The fact that California is going to receive orders first should have been stated. Anywhoo...who cares. I suppose I'll just have to take whatever I'm given ( A few weeks or months later - whatever). There's nothing I can do about it.

Would I mind waiting? - It does not matter.

It has been stated that the deliveries are going to occur from the West to the East. My questions is....what difference is it going to make that I waited in the rain for 4 hours in Chicago at a Tesla Store? The fact that California is going to receive orders first should have been stated.

It was stated. Before ordering opened - Elon said orders would be prioritized - west to east and heavily optioned first. He said on a conference call.

Reactions: JeffK
It was stated. Before ordering opened - Elon said orders would be prioritized - west to east and heavily optioned first. He said on a conference call.
There is someone here in RI that received their rendering. Does that calculate?

Trust me....I really and truly don't care in the least. I've just been told my so many folks in this forum that you can't trust the words of Tesla until you receive your product. I fought like crazy to defend Tesla, however as time moves forward...they seem to be right. I suppose I'm learning how to categorize Teslas statements.

Last edited:
Correct. All we have are quotes that "something" will be given to those who waited in line. Maybe this rendering is for everyone. Its a great gesture by Tesla. I won't cancel my order because I don't get a gift. I would just live with it.

Yep. Nor would I. As I've said repeatedly, the gesture alone was gracious; my only expectation at the time of line-waiting/deposit-placing was that the transaction would be processed in an efficient manner. Which it was. In and out of the store in 5 minutes and iirc, the reservation showed up in MyTesla within a couple of days.

The confusion on the part of some in the ensuing months is unfortunate. Some are evidently still unaware that the only reason people draw a distinction between gifts A and B is because that distinction was drawn for us.

No worries on my part whatsoever - I wasn't one of the ones who reserved an X or an S years before they were produced. My wait was about 6 weeks and the scarves and cap I received at the time were an unexpected and appreciated bonus. And useful as it was a bit cold at the time.

Insofar as the current go-around is concerned, conventional wisdom was that there would be something for line-waiters because Elon said so, and the traditional something for all reservation holders maybe a year from now (this was before Elon accelerated the timeline).

It has been the nature of the aforementioned something that has spurred most of the speculation. While I hold out hope for a postage-free, tree-sparing configurable option (e.g., paint upcharge waived or similar), it could just as well be that the artwork is for line-waiters and a thank you note next year will be the general item. Either way, it's simultaneously appreciated and not a concern.

Reactions: Microfrost
There is someone here in RI that received their rendering. Does that calculate?

Yeah that RI person is me. ;) I am not equating the receipt of the rendering with future configuration or delivery - who knows what criteria they used when shipping out the "token." I am sure they are completely unrelated.

Maybe they sent it out based on your place in line, or alphabetically, or to owners first, or to those whose second digit of their SSN is 3..... could be anything. Is Tesla even doing the mailings? I wouldn't be surprised if they contracted it out.

But I don't think when one receives their rendering has anything to do with when they will receive their car in relation to others.

Reactions: melindav