Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This will not end well for BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW iX3
A few months ago, the automaker released the production specs of the BMW iX3 and said that it is going to be equipped with a 74 kWh battery pack, which is going to enable 440 km of range:

so, 273 miles on the old outdated WLTP test. ABout 220 miles EPA. They see the writing on the wall. Who would by this over Model Y? OH, and it has a "powerful" 286 HP motor output. :rolleyes:
The people that want to be able to have their vehicle serviced in their home town would by it, those who want to know what their getting and have a human to talk to. Those that want to buy parts without restrictions. There's plenty of things wrong with tesla and why people will continue to buy other brands.

We have two BMWs. My wife's is a 2006 BMW 530xi wagon, mine is a 2011 BMW 335xi racer.

In an alternate universe, we'd be buying more BMWs. But they discontinued importing wagons in the US. We've tried both the X3 and the X5 as rentals. They are, to quote Dan Neil, like driving a "formula one forklift." They drive well, but you can feel the computers straining to keep them on the road as you round a corner. I live in the 49th most well-off zip code in the country. A few years ago, half the houses here had BMWs. Many of them were 3 series or 5 series wagons. We had terrible service from BMWs on both our cars and the last time I brought mine in I cursed them and said I was going to buy a Tesla next. So we bought a used 2017 90D from Tesla for me and we've ordered a Model Y for my wife.

Now there are more Teslas than BMWs. BMW squandered its lead here.

Pretty much anywhere there is BMW nearby, there is Tesla nearby. Anybody who cares about their BMW knows that have the dealerships have awful service so they go elsewhere. I'd never take my BMWs to the local dealership (not after finding a pile of bolts on the floor and greasy fingerprints everywhere after our first service).

The people that want to be able to have their vehicle serviced in their home town would by it, those who want to know what their getting and have a human to talk to. Those that want to buy parts without restrictions. There's plenty of things wrong with tesla and why people will continue to buy other brands.

• Disagree
Reactions: JøhP and Eclectic
Anybody who cares about their BMW knows that have the dealerships have awful service so they go elsewhere. I'd never take my BMWs to the local dealership (not after finding a pile of bolts on the floor and greasy fingerprints everywhere after our first service).
+ 1 on the "awful service" from the BMW Stealerships.... Plus, the shady free "courtesy inspections" they perform when you bring your car in for another type service.

We brought our old 3-Series in for the airbag change, on the way out they handed us a service ticket with over $2,500 worth of "service recommendations" they found our 325Xi needed after they looked it over while changing out the passenger side airbag of all things. They did the exact same thing when we brought our 330i in for an airbag change a month later, this time it was "only" for $1,600.

I guess this was their unethical/underhanded way of making $$$$ off the takata airbag recall.

• Disagree
Reactions: JøhP and Eclectic
Subaru.. yikes!! :mad:

^ funny thing is, those BMW "courtesy inspections" were done over three years ago now... and we have not done one single thing to either car that was on the "BMW recommendation" list, nor have we had any trouble from any of the areas of concern on the list. It was 100% BS and just a pure money grab by BMW where they saw an opportunity to ambush customers that they never see because either they do the work on their cars themselves or at independent auto shops not the BMW dealerships.

Reactions: lottadot and JøhP
BMW EV platform 4 — or what the upcoming i4 is built on — looks promising. IMO biggest blunder they have made, aside from taking too long, is building the new MINI-e on the i3 platform. They had to neuter performance to give it an 80 mile range. I like MINIs and was really looking forward to their EV offering. They so missed the mark on this one it’s just sad.

Reactions: JøhP
I used to drive a 2018 BMW X3 m40i with just about every option, and it was brilliant to drive. Main reason I'm switching over to the Y is that I want to have an SUV/CUV EV (already have a Leaf which is now our only vehicle).

I'm pretty sure the BMW was more luxurious, and I will miss the heads-up display. Auto steering was rather poor though, the Leaf is actually way better than the BMW despite it costing about half (after the federal tax credit). As the other poster, the full surround view parking (also on the Leaf...) isn't matched by the Y.

BTW: I think comparing the model Y to an X5 really doesn't make much sense, X3 is virtually the same size as the Y. I don't believe the inside room in the Y is comparable with the X5 (but I would be happily surprised if it is). Usable cargo volume will be way better in the X5.

BTW2: I did look into the BMW iX3 (only just read that it won't come to the USA) but was rather disappointed by the fact that it would not have AWD or a dual motor config.

Last edited:
Before I even thought about getting a Tesla I told myself that my number 1 requirement for my next car will be CarPlay. I was dissapoiinted to find out that Tesla doesn't have CarPlay. Maybe its not necessary with Tesla? The 3D parking would be great as well.

I am also hoping that the Y is quiet inside at highway speeds, similar to most of the luxury brands.
I used to have CarPlay in my Audi and loved it. However, there is a whole stretch of area where the Google Maps (or Apple Maps) did not work well probably because of Cell signal perhaps. My phones were primarily iPhones (different models) on ATT network. So Maps, spotify/Pandora were 99% of the apps I had used in carplay. Then I switched to Tesla which does not support carplay. But has all those apps standard. I do miss google maps but once you get used to Tesla maps, they are as good. Also, for some reason they never loose signal. Not sure if Tesla has a stronger antenna or whatever, but it is always connected to LTE where as my phone will show no signal in some remote areas. So long story short, I have not missed car play and from entertainment prospective, Tesla screen/interface is leaps and bounds ahead. You should go get a test drive in a 3 to experience it. I am waiting to put a deposit on Y once I am able to test drive it locally. Hopefully in the next few months it should be available for test drives. About the noise, I don't think its in Tesla's DNA yet to fix that. When their luxury cars have so much noise, why do you think Model Y would be any better. It will take years for them to fix that.

• Helpful
Reactions: cusetownusa
Agreed. Before I go my Mode X I had an 2017 X3. I gave it to my daughter and drove it a few times after getting the X. I could not believe all of the knobs and dials. Amd 90% of them I never used. And what a mess i-Drive is. The only think I miss is the bird-eye parking camera, and the HUD (we had almost all the options on the X3). The maps on the BMW are a disaster and the screens are tiny. And why do I have to turn it off and on? Especially coming from an X with self locking door. I have walked away from the X3 with it still idling.
wcf-porsche-cayenne-gets-latest-7-inch-pcm-infotainment-2016-porsche-cayenne-with-latest-p1.jpg

This is how my wife's Cayenne looks like from inside. See the number of buttons, knobs and dials. Have used maybe 2 or 3 in all the time we have owned it. There was a time this looked nice and I remember when we first sat in it, it felt like an airplane cockpit. Now it looks like wasted real estate and complex. All that is in the history now. Would never go back to it compared to simplicity of a model 3/Y. Except for the glove box, the rest can be controlled easily from a single screen.

For BMW in the US, the X3 is their best selling vehicle. The X3 is the source of most of the profits for BMW in the USA.

I just spec'd out a M40i X3 with white interior and gray 20" wheels. It costs $63K. My wifes Model Y with same trim will cost $56K

The Model Y is the same weight as the BMW with a full tank of gas. The Model Y is as fast as the BMW, cheaper to run, has better tech, and will probably have handling as good as the BMW because of the low center of gravity. I will not need to shut the motor down at a stoplight to meet fuel economy standards. It will not need oil changes and other ICE maintenance.

BMW has been killed by the Model 3 on the sedan side. I expect the same in the CUV space. Their car sales were down 14% last year, with the light trucks (X1-6) up 35% and accounting for all of the growth last year. How is BMW going to survive this?
What is their plan? Plug in hybrids? There are only so many people that will pay 8K more to get less performance and features.

I think BMW will be the first OEM to go bankrupt. Probably in 2022. They have about 12 billion in cash. Almost all of their assets are ICE (stranded). They have already committed to spend at least 17 billion for batteries and EV conversion. Where does that money come from once their CUV sales tank?

I have been a BMW owner for over 20 years. Had two X3s also M3 and 7 Series. I now have an order for a Tesla MY. I have enjoyed all my BMWs. Love the way they drive. But, they are falling behind and fast.

BMW has a hard transition to make. Hard to embrace autonomous features when your motto is "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

I wish them well, but am ready to change now. I want the technology more now than driving.

Here you go:
Awesome so everyone in the US is going to take their Teslas to Gruber to have work done on a moth long waiting list. Meanwhile, BMW has a dealer in every geomarket with just as many independent shops to work on them as well. You people aren't helping Teslas case here. And to make matters worse, Gruber is still restricted on parts they have to go through the same channels as a customer and they oftentimes have to rely on used/salvaged parts.

Last edited:
I used to drive a 2018 BMW X3 m40i with just about every option, and it was brilliant to drive. Main reason I'm switching over to the Y is that I want to have an SUV/CUV EV (already have a Leaf which is now our only vehicle).

I'm pretty sure the BMW was more luxurious, and I will miss the heads-up display. Auto steering was rather poor though, the Leaf is actually way better than the BMW despite it costing about half (after the federal tax credit). As the other poster, the full surround view parking (also on the Leaf...) isn't matched by the Y.

BTW: I think comparing the model Y to an X5 really doesn't make much sense, X3 is virtually the same size as the Y. I don't believe the inside room in the Y is comparable with the X5 (but I would be happily surprised if it is). Usable cargo volume will be way better in the X5.

BTW2: I did look into the BMW iX3 (only just read that it won't come to the USA) but was rather disappointed by the fact that it would not have AWD or a dual motor config.

You Y will drive like it is on rails compared to your X 3/5. They are both tippy when cornering at speed. EVs have all their weight low and are very planted in the corners. My X handles better in many corners than my 335 did.