Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This will stir things up if approved - California's Proposal to Ban New Gas Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From today's news here in California:
California’s clean-air regulators Wednesday unveiled a far-reaching proposal requiring a ramp-up in sales of zero-emission cars, culminating in a ban on new gasoline-powered cars by 2035.

If adopted by the California Air Resources Board this summer, the regulations will be the first of their kind in the world and could pave the way for nationwide standards. At least 15 other states pledged to follow California’s lead on car standards on previous clean-car rules, and the federal government usually follows.

Charging_a_tesla_car.JPG

("Charging a Tesla car.JPG" by Jeffrey Beall is licensed under CC BY 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Except that every car owner in the country benefits from this service, so it's taxable. If America, with maybe 10% of cars on the road using plug in chargers, the other 90% would revolt if we said we were gonna put in free charging in all parking lots.
Nobody revolted when they started putting free charging in parking lots. Nobody's gonna revolt if we say we're gonna do it in all parking lots. However, I'd be extremely skeptical. Do we really think that the people who own public parking lots are going to pay to fuel everyone's vehicles?
And keeping an engine above freezing is much less energy intense than charging an EV
An engine block heater is 1kW and runs the entire time. EV charging is 6-7 kW but doesn't run the entire time, and power can be shared among EV chargers just like they do at the SFO parking garages (full power if nobody else is drawing, less if more vehicles are charging).

My point was just that 90% of drivers would not benefit from the installation vs the cost they would be paying in taxes

Their taxes won't go up but the the cost of gas would go down. Seems like a net gain to me because math.

Do we really think that the people who own public parking lots are going to pay to fuel everyone's vehicles?

Depends on the city code. No one is saying the charging has to be free.
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=19.27.540

Last edited:
So, I'm sorry guys, who is going to pay for all these outlets and who is gonna pay for the electricity it takes to fill a car ($20 a pop). If the price goes down for gas, but those with EVs don't have to pay anything for electricity someone is gonna complain

Not if we’re selling our strategic reserves to CCP.

.... less is still less is still a lower $/gal.

So, I'm sorry guys, who is going to pay for all these outlets and who is gonna pay for the electricity it takes to fill a car ($20 a pop). If the price goes down for gas, but those with EVs don't have to pay anything for electricity someone is gonna complain

Who says the charging is free? Even parking is often not free.

The example given of Norther Latitude engine block heaters do not have meters on them. Just covered by taxes as everyone needs block heaters up there

They don't need meters. Those spots could be $30/mo. Can't tell from the photo. There's lots of parking that is unmetered. Apartments often require a parking pass. Would it be so hard to have a different color pass that enables you to plug-in? $50/mo for parking. $80/mo for charging.

They don't need meters. Those spots could be $30/mo. Can't tell from the photo. There's lots of parking that is unmetered. Apartments often require a parking pass. Would it be so hard to have a different color pass that enables you to plug-in? $50/mo for parking. $80/mo for charging.
Mark it zero.

You wanna encourage adoption with apartment or condo dwellers? Make it worth walking two blocks over from your condo to a parking garage by making free charging a perk.

Mark it zero.

You wanna encourage adoption with apartment or condo dwellers? Make it worth walking two blocks over from your condo to a parking garage by making free charging a perk.

Sure, a lot of it will be free, probably most of it. My point is that the idea it can't happen due to not wanting to 'give away' electricity is just absurd. If you don't want to make it free..... then..... then don't make it free.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
My old Volvo had a cool sensor for impurities and it would kick in Recirc if it detected exhaust or smoke. Didn't catch the cow poop smell going up highway 5. Wish Teslas had that. Takes too long to flip on recirc while you are focusing on driving.
Never heard of that old Volvo feature before, that's pretty cool even if it didn't catch the bovine exhaust.

I really, really want a steering wheel button for recirc. That's an essential driving control which shouldn't require jabbing at a touchscreen. Even the Model S configurable wheel controls lack a recirc option last I checked. :(