Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with EnhancedAP to receive 3k discount on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be interesting to play the middle man in this -
Offer to buy folks full FSD when available, in return you collect 2500 dollars.
Sure the price will go up, but depending on the amount of time until FSD,
many folks will sell their car, crash their car, etc...

There's no such thing as "FSD", it's a process, a concept, not an endpost.
A lot like Achilles and the tortoise. It's half way to the goal at every step.
So it would be hard to agree at what degree it would qualify as "available".

Personally I find every current half-step worthwhile.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
There's no such thing as "FSD", it's a process, a concept, not an endpost.
A lot like Achilles and the tortoise. It's half way to the goal at every step.
So it would be hard to agree at what degree it would qualify as "available".

Personally I find every current half-step worthwhile.
So the question that I have is with FSD has there ever been a CLEAR indication of what will happen with the retrofit? For example i have S75 with AP 2.0 - clearly already missing out on dashcam, sentry and other features to come. However if for $3k I could get a full retrofit HW 3 plus with all the aforementioned features plus the ability to scale it could be worth it. I just don’t want to get some band aid solution because I have 2.0 with different cameras and HW etc.... that’s my dilemma

So the question that I have is with FSD has there ever been a CLEAR indication of what will happen with the retrofit? For example i have S75 with AP 2.0 - clearly already missing out on dashcam, sentry and other features to come. However if for $3k I could get a full retrofit HW 3 plus with all the aforementioned features plus the ability to scale it could be worth it. I just don’t want to get some band aid solution because I have 2.0 with different cameras and HW etc.... that’s my dilemma

Per all previous available info- only change is a swap of the AP/FSD computer, no change to sensor suite at all.

It's unclear if this will enable dashcam for AP2 cars (I'd guess probably not but that depends on if it's really the difference in cameras that causes the current lack of the feature or not).

But then dashcam isn't an actual AP/FSD feature.

That's my main desire for FSD as well. Paying almost $3,000 a year for my commute at the moment... By my main worry is that even if the car could go park itself, city regulations might not catch up with the technology for the life of the car.

Maybe buy an electric scooter to keep in the back. Then you can park someplace free, pop the scooter out, and zip the extra mile to the office in 5 minutes. Bonus: being able to scoot around after you plug in at a Supercharger.

Last edited:
What I wonder is what happens when FSD does become available. First, it will surely be enabled as "beta", with true self-driving disabled until the law catches up. That allows Elon to ring the cash register and realize all that FSD money. But the difference between FSD and AP becomes really blurry. Obviously, Elon will want FSD to become standard and will remove the "only" AP option, so the line becomes blurrier.

Then, once FSD is really up and driving for you, why have hundreds of thousands of cars on the road with an "autopilot" that is really just lane-assist when you could upgrade them (the ones with the new hardware anyway) for nothing? Isn't there a legal liability there? I can imagine a judge taking a very dim view of Tesla saying "Look, they paid for a hobbled version of our safety software, and they got killed by it. Is that our fault?" I think it might be. Look at Boing's "optional safety feature" debacle on the 737 Max.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I believe Elon's plan is to increase FSD significantly. Assuming his estimate that these FSD cars can be added to the robotaxi network and make up to $30k a year, the price will have to go up else "scalpers" will just buy up all the cars and use them as robotaxis. Demand will increase as will FSD.

• Funny
I believe Elon's plan is to increase FSD significantly. Assuming his estimate that these FSD cars can be added to the robotaxi network and make up to $30k a year, the price will have to go up else "scalpers" will just buy up all the cars and use them as robotaxis. Demand will increase as will FSD.

While Robotaxis will definitely transform transportation, increasing the price of FSD "significantly" will just price it out of the market. (Heck, one could argue its priced out of the market already.) The top selling autos have staring list prices around $19-23k. If Elon wants to sell millions model 3 and model y, there is no way he can continue to price them at $50k. The masses just don't have that kinda money. Alternatively, Elon can continue to sell and upscale/luxury car, and compete with the best German and Japanese machines, but that's not his stated mission.

Looked at another way, the buyers establish the price point of all options, as that is what they are willing/capable of paying. Elon even alluded to the price problem that they have in his earnings call.

While Robotaxis will definitely transform transportation, increasing the price of FSD "significantly" will just price it out of the market. (Heck, one could argue its priced out of the market already.) The top selling autos have staring list prices around $19-23k. If Elon wants to sell millions model 3 and model y, there is no way he can continue to price them at $50k. The masses just don't have that kinda money. Alternatively, Elon can continue to sell and upscale car, and compete with the best German and Japanese machines, but that's not his stated mission.

FSD enabled cars may very well be priced out of the market at some point. Tesla cars without FSD will still sell well. Those wanting FSD to profit using them as robotaxis will have to pay a lot more for FSD to do that. Other competitors won't have FSD (if they do, they'll likely add a significant premium also). Of course none of this will matter if Elon's FSD and robotaxi plan does not work out.

• Funny
If Tesla's FSD is the only game in town it will certainly command a premium. FSD doesn't need to be affordable the cheapest variants. The thing that makes it strange is that while normal car buyers may not be willing to spend $10K or $15K or $??K on FSD, if you can really make the kind of coin that Elon suggests via the "Tesla network", then investors would be more than willing to pay those fees and buy up the supply. Simple economics 101.... Supply & demand & ROI.

Reactions: Tysto
So with Model 3 EAP with HW 2.5, if one spends the $3000 and upgrades to FSD, when do you predict the HW 3 hardware upgrade be available? When the first feature that is not in EAP is released? When FSD is feature complete? When regulatory approval happens where the car is registered?

So with Model 3 EAP with HW 2.5, if one spends the $3000 and upgrades to FSD, when do you predict the HW 3 hardware upgrade be available? When the first feature that is not in EAP is released? When FSD is feature complete? When regulatory approval happens where the car is registered?

when the first non-EAP feature is rolled out which is by end of year....coincidentally last time he was asked about it Musk said he expected Q4 for the computer upgrades to start as well

Reactions: Ken43
Didn’t Elon just say version 10 (expected Aug/Sept) will have some FSD features rolled out like the stop sign and traffic light piece?

He said it would include "better traffic light and stop sign recognition"

Recognition and reaction aren't the same thing... like right now technically the system "recognizes" red lights and warns you if about to run one... but it works very poorly and doesn't DO anything other than alert even when it works.

So this might be just tesla improving the "warning" system, with plans to add the "and actually do stuff" as part of FSD later.

• Informative
Reactions: Tysto
Just pulled the trigger for $3k FSD and could not be more stoked! I went back and forth a bunch, and ultimately what gave me the most comfort is the fact that I’m keeping this car for a decade, and by the time I go to sell it, hopefully the value of FSD will likely be more than the $3k it is today. Plus any future-proofing of the car will also help with resale value. Can’t wait to start seeing features rolled out, even if they are on Elon time :D

Just pulled the trigger for $3k FSD and could not be more stoked! I went back and forth a bunch, and ultimately what gave me the most comfort is the fact that I’m keeping this car for a decade, and by the time I go to sell it, hopefully the value of FSD will likely be more than the $3k it is today. Plus any future-proofing of the car will also help with resale value. Can’t wait to start seeing features rolled out, even if they are on Elon time :D

I did for similar reasons. I generally lost about 3-4 years with a car, but assuming the robo taxi stuff has come to life by then, I could see possibly making the car a full time taxi at that point and buying a new car.

I suspect a Tesla with FSD on it will retain more value down the road also (maybe not an appreciating asset as some have stated, but less diminished value realistically. I would be fun to be proven wrong, even financially beneficial to be proven wrong)

Reactions: lupend88