Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on EAP for the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for thoughts on whether I should purchase the EAP option when the time comes to configure our Model 3. We don't drive much on a daily basis and on weekends take trips that are around 200 miles or so at the max. Yes, in summer we tend to drive a bit more but no super long trips yet as we have an impatient 5 year old ;-)

Question - do I get the EAP at the time of configuring the car or wait for AP2 to get better and then purchase it when needed? Of course I will have to fork up another $1K for it but not sure if I want to spend another $5K now either?

I didn't get Autopilot on my S, and to be honest I've never felt like I've missed out on anything in the past 2 years. Of course, I don't live in a big city and I'm not dealing with long commutes in bumper-to-bumper traffic, but even so I just like driving the car. I'll sign up when things get to level 5. Worst-case, you try it out and decide you like it later, a software update is all it takes and if you really feel it's worth it, the extra $1k isn't that big a deal. Of course, I'm definitely in the minority on this view on this site, but I don't think you should feel it's a requirement to have it.

Looking for thoughts on whether I should purchase the EAP option when the time comes to configure our Model 3. We don't drive much on a daily basis and on weekends take trips that are around 200 miles or so at the max. Yes, in summer we tend to drive a bit more but no super long trips yet as we have an impatient 5 year old ;-)

Question - do I get the EAP at the time of configuring the car or wait for AP2 to get better and then purchase it when needed? Of course I will have to fork up another $1K for it but not sure if I want to spend another $5K now either?

I'm going to get it. Have AP1 on my S and it's just extremely practical. Also, as far as I know Model 3 probably won't come with regular cruise control, so EAP is a must have for me. And I'm not sure how much it will improve in functionality anyways. Probably will get smoother, but it's still just assistance. Price is steep, though. So I can understand if some won't get it right away, if ever.

Not getting FSD, though. I'll wait until it has at least some level 3 functionality.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
This is the first I heard of this. It would be extremely unusual for the Model 3 to not come with regular cruise control in its price segment.
This is incorrect, if you don't get EAP then you will have normal cruise control.

I view EAP as a much more useful feature if you do a lot of stop and go driving as opposed to long road trips. I plan on not getting it initially - after I spend some time with the car I'll decide if I want to fork out the extra money for it.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
This is incorrect, if you don't get EAP then you will have normal cruise control.

I view EAP as a much more useful feature if you do a lot of stop and go driving as opposed to long road trips. I plan on not getting it initially - after I spend some time with the car I'll decide if I want to fork out the extra money for it.

It's also an incredible thing on long trips. Even with my 12 year old car's early TACC system that turns off below 20mph, it takes a lot of the minor annoyances out of long drives. Tesla's Autosteer only improves it from there, in my experience.

I personally will never buy another car that doesn't have full stop-and-go TACC at the minimum, unless it's something I'm only buying for track use.

Nowhere in that thread did anyone show that there is no cruise control in the Model 3. I thought you had some other source. As people pointed out in that thread, Model S/X has regular cruise control when you don't opt for EAP and there is no good reason for it to be different in the 3.
It’s also been confirmed by owners at the Model 3 Owners Club forum.

It’s also been confirmed by owners at the Model 3 Owners Club forum.
Link to that post then? And when you say "also" what other source are you referring to? Again, in the thread linked, no one showed the Model 3 doesn't have regular cruise control when you don't opt for EAP. There was a claim that was the case for Model S/X, but the person was corrected.

Note: I'm not talking about regular cruise control for when EAP is optioned. When you opt for EAP in Model S/X, regular CC is not available (only TACC is available).

Last edited:
Link to that post then?
From a quick search, here’s one that shows basic cruise control was available before the update from Tesla that turned on AP:
FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share
Here’s one with an owner confirming he has the cruise control symbol on the right hand control stalk without ordering EAP:
FAQ: Checklist of features for new owners to share

So unless you think Tesla is going to give people a car with cruise control setting on the stalk that does nothing (even though we know the functionality is present), then I’d say it’s comfirmed. I also am pretty sure that one of the owners specifically said it was there but my search-foo is failing me.

And when you say "also" what other source are you referring to? Again, in the thread linked, no one showed the Model 3 doesn't have regular cruise control when you don't opt for EAP. There was a claim that was the case for Model S/X, but the person was corrected.
“Also” meaning in addition to what you posted.