Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on home delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pro - You will get the $7500 Fed Tax credit. Might be gone in 2018.
Con - You own the car before you see it (insure it on the delivery truck as you own it) and any issues will be fixed AFTER the sale, so less leverage. However, Tesla is really good at fixing most things.

I'd do it unless it's a red car...but that's just my experience and $0.02

Our first Tesla - a Model S P85 was delivered in January 2013. At that time, the nearest Service Center was 1000 miles away, so Tesla contracted UPS to deliver it to our house.

I was concerned about having the car delivered directly, without anyone from Tesla present - so I developed a thorough checklist (based on the limited features included in the early production cars) and went through that checklist immediately after receiving the car.

Tesla sent a detailer out to the house to get the car cleaned up after it had travelled from California.

It was a leap of faith to buy a car without a local service center (which opened a few weeks later) and to provide Tesla 100% of the payment before the car had even arrived.

And everything worked out fine.

Our second Model S, a 100D, was delivered in March. This time, we picked it up from one of the local service centers, 40 miles from our house. We drove our trade-in vehicle to the service center and exchanged it for the new S 100D, which we drove home.

If you're 50 miles from the nearest service center, you may be more comfortable accepting the car there (which would only be 10 miles further than the drive we took for our S 100D). Unless Tesla could have someone (a mobile service van?) present when the car is delivered to you.

Just an update, the Sales Advisor was the one who originally offered the home delivery option. He CC'd my DS and OA.

I pushed a few questions to each of them and this was their response:

1. At which point does physical liability of the car get transferred to me? (if the delivery truck crashes at the intersection outside of my house, who is liable for repairs and when does Tesla's insurance end)

You would be the owner of the car when you sign the official documents, so it may be best in our case, to take delivery from the service center, mainly for your trade in.

2. What does this do for my trade in? (timeline, etc)

For trading in, I think it may be best in our case to take a service center delivery, so that you can trade in your car at the same time as picking up your new Tesla. Another option is to pre-trade the car at one of our service centers to preserve the value or right before your scheduled home delivery.

3. As you stated, I'm able to bring the car in for a full detail at a later date; what does this entail? Does the service center offer paint protection such as Xpel wraps?

We can offer a full detail at home, or at our service center.
I can inquire about paint protection, since we do have companies we can recommend, but I am not sure if they offer it from the service center or through a third party only. I will inquire on this!

4. How are any defects/problems handled? (while I don't expect anything to be wrong with the car; if there is something, how is this documented/fixed

Please document any defects and bring them to the attention of myself and the delivery team so we can work on this for you and create any necessary work orders, but I would hope we won’t need to worry about this point!

5. Do you have a rough timeline for either car production or delivery?

I would estimate mid- late December. (**Order confirmed 10/6**)

6. When do I need to complete financing for the car.

We won’t need to apply for financing until December 1st, as the application is only active for 30 days once approved.

Reactions: Gt1948
A80A678D-BFA2-4590-9FCE-BF13B3644CAE.png SC 200 miles away in Nashville.... thought about home delivery but will drive to Nashville.. want the walk through.

Reactions: Olds442
Well, I guess I'm going the "risky" route. Mine will be home delivered Tuesday after having been driven the 50 miles from the SC, where it was recently shipped to, and then to my driveway.

I guess a lot can happen, but I was happy that Tesla obliged. Saves me the trip up and my 'driver' the time and miles for the rt. Also, I just had back surgery a few days ago and it's just a lot more convenient having the car dropped off. This process is not any different than with an ICE...? I expect whomever delivers it to be able to do the turnover similar to being at the SC.

2 more sleeps!