Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on upgrading from a M3LR w/ AB to a MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I've owned the Model 3 Long Range since Feb of this year. I've made various changes to it, both acceleration boost and cosmetics, and while I have mostly enjoyed it, I feel let down by the practical side of things. This was before the Model Y made its way to the UK leaving the Model 3 as the only choice for me, but now they have started to deliver them here.

I've had to dig up my driveway to allow for the Model 3 to get on without scraping the bottom (dropped curve and driveway slopes downwards).
I've had trouble adapting to the boot opening as every other car I have driven before was a hatchback, leaving me with an unimpressive boot size for storage of large items or quantity of items for taking to the local recycling center.
Bringing our dog along for the ride has also become a major logistical issue; in previous cars that were hatchbacks we would have him in the boot but for obvious reasons this isn't possible in the Model 3; bringing the dog on to the rear seats also is not an option as he doesn't tend to settle in the car (We tether him as per the UK law).

Aside from other reasons ie. regretting my cars config...

Here's my questions:
Is the MYP's ride height noticeably higher vs the M3LR?

Will there be a noticeable/larger ground clearance on the MYP vs the M3LR?

I've seen MANY sources claiming different clearances leaving me confused so knowing the specific numbers would be super helpful.
While my driveway situation is improved I wouldn't want to run in to this issue anywhere else. And my slope isn't even that steep which feeds that worry.

Is the performance improved over the M3LR w/ AB?
I haven't been able to see any comparisons online so I'm unsure if there are any major benefits (0 - 60 and top speed seem better?)

Thanks!

I own a 22’ M3 LR w/boost as well and have an MYP arriving in 2 weeks.

I guess from a 0-100 perspective the M3 LR is around 3.8/3.9 and the MYP is around 3.7 ish. Hardly any diff.

The diff will be the 0-50kph where the MYP will launch like a P should…brute force!
Mid to high end I’d even suggest the M3 LR will overtake the MYP after 120kph.

Handling wise the 3 is a tossable fun car as you know :) the MYP I’m sure one would feel the weight difference and cornering.

Height wise I don’t know if the MYP is that much higher than the M3 tbh. Maybe an inch or 2?

I own a 22’ M3 LR w/boost as well and have an MYP arriving in 2 weeks.

I guess from a 0-100 perspective the M3 LR is around 3.8/3.9 and the MYP is around 3.7 ish. Hardly any diff.

The diff will be the 0-50kph where the MYP will launch like a P should…brute force!
Mid to high end I’d even suggest the M3 LR will overtake the MYP after 120kph.

Handling wise the 3 is a tossable fun car as you know :) the MYP I’m sure one would feel the weight difference and cornering.

Height wise I don’t know if the MYP is that much higher than the M3 tbh. Maybe an inch or 2?
2 weeks isn't long ago at all! I'm scheduled for late 2022. If I'm still in search of this information do you reckon you could let me know the stats for my questions?

Hope delivery goes smoothly and that you enjoy your ride :)

Sounds like your lifestyle would be better served by the Model Y.

I rides higher than the 3, has huge hatch back storage capability, and the dog would be happy.

If you can bring one home for a demo to try it on your driveway, that might give you the answers you seek.

Y has become the most popular Tesla, just for these reasons.

Benefits of the 3 are more nimble handling, better performance, slightly bettery efficiency and to most better looking.

What I've noticed going from my 2019 M3 w/ performance update to a 2022 MYP:

- The MYP handles bumps better than my M3 w/ 19" wheels
- The acceleration is the same as my M3, though it has a bit of torque steer at full throttle
- The MYP is MUCH quieter
- The MYP has a higher ground clearance; I'm not scraping the ground anymore in places I had to be careful about with the M3
- The console is WAY faster then the Intel based one in my M3
- There is MUCH more storage room in my MYP
- There is cause to purchase alot more accessories for the MYP than in my M3 (mostly around the trunk: mats to protect the trunk area, side storage covers, trunk area cover to hide stuff in the trunk space, lower trunk mat/trays - stuff that normally comes with $80,000 vehicles)
- Needed to purchase common stuff: HomeLink module, roof sun shield, all weather mats, front splash guards, tray inserts for the center console, etc.)

As to the slightly better efficiency of the M3... pretty much only if you have 18" wheels and LRR tires. Otherwise, so far, it's a wash....

As far as scrapping the curbs on my M3... Oh yeah... and I waffled a few rims as well. So far I've had an easier time avoiding that with the MYP, as it's easier to see where you are due to height.

Someone mentioned cornering in the MYP vs M3... Honestly, if you want to drive aggressively in the MYP, it handles as nicely as the M3 does. MYP vs M3P, that's another story and I can't speak authoritatively on that. On my test drive of a MYP I drove it like I stole it and it was the handling that made me go for it: I could see no significant difference between the M3 and the MYP... that being said, there has to be a slight difference given then excess weight on the MYP... It's just not casually obvious.