Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thread for the most minor of suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to make a thread for the most ridiculous, minor, first world, irrelevant, esoteric things you'd like changed in your Tesla. I'm not talking about problems or big things like phantom braking or V2G or the like. I'm talking about things you complain about in your head because if you said it out loud, people would roll their eyes. Here is mine.

I'm used to Japanese cars with horns that honk in the key of C while American brand horns honk in F. Tesla honks in F. I wish it would honk in C. It's just a more pleasant pitch and sounds less like some 18 wheeler or something.

[*Thread, not threat in the title. No weapons involved in making this post ]
:cool:

he closest I've come to this was recently driving from OKC to Dallas. FSD stopped nagging for steering wheel input. For 20 miles, I could drive hands free. What joy!

Then, the car chewed me out for having a "defeat device" on the steering wheel. But, the wheel was absolute stock and never had a wheel weight attached!

I disengaged FSD, waited a few minutes and reengaged. All has been well since.

I did enjoy those 20 nag-free miles, though!

When pouring in windshield washer fluid, it'd help to see the fluid level approaching the max.

Instead it's: do [Insert a funnel, pour in a little, remove the funnel, look inside with a flashlight] while the little visible part of the tube is empty.

This is a 2020 Model 3. Are the others the same?

Is there a workaround? Having said it out loud, it occurs to me that it might work better using a small bottle than the gallon jug that washer fluid comes in.

Or if the car gave audio feedback while filling, that'd help a lot.

I wish the song length and elapsed song time still showed in the main media display. It used to. You can still see this info if you put the media info in your gauge cluster, but I use that for trips and navigation.

Same with the scrub bar to skip around in a track. There technically is still a scrub bar, but it isn't visible with the display in "light" mode, and it's also very difficult to access. This also used to be relatively easy to see and access. More UI regression.

When pouring in windshield washer fluid, it'd help to see the fluid level approaching the max.

Instead it's: do [Insert a funnel, pour in a little, remove the funnel, look inside with a flashlight] while the little visible part of the tube is empty.

This is a 2020 Model 3. Are the others the same?

Is there a workaround? Having said it out loud, it occurs to me that it might work better using a small bottle than the gallon jug that washer fluid comes in.

Or if the car gave audio feedback while filling, that'd help a lot.
I wait until it flashes the warning, then put in a whole gallon. Sometimes I go too soon and spill a little, but it's NBD. Usually takes a whole gallon once it's that low.

The Tesla app only lets you schedule recurring departures, not a one off charge to this amount by this time and precondition by then too. At least not that I've found, and I refuse to link my Google calendar into that app.

So, I set up a HomeAssistant instance to do this plus a DIY "charge from solar"/"charge when the grid is cleaner" function, without having a Tesla solar power install.

Reactions: dansev and syncword
That approach makes sense but the Owner's Manual says the reservoir capacity is 3.2 liters, which is 0.845 gal.
Sorry, I assumed it was the same as the Y, so much being shared between the 3 and Y. Y has a 4.5 liter capacity, well over a gallon. Wonder if you could add a larger reservoir?

Or maybe mark an empty bottle with the right amount, use a funnel to fill it, then just dump it in?

I do a lot of car camping. I'm writing this while car camping. TelsaMusk (trademarked cologne, CyberMusk?, anyway...) I'm begging you... please update mobile app to allow seat adjustments and more AC controls. So frustrating to get all set up and get in the back, put the door down, then realize you forgot to turn on the rear air vents... and the driver's seat is in driving position and not camping.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
That approach makes sense but the Owner's Manual says the reservoir capacity is 3.2 liters, which is 0.845 gal.

Sorry, I assumed it was the same as the Y, so much being shared between the 3 and Y. Y has a 4.5 liter capacity, well over a gallon. Wonder if you could add a larger reservoir?

Or maybe mark an empty bottle with the right amount, use a funnel to fill it, then just dump it in?

Well then my first-world complaint is that the windshield washer fluid reservoir doesn't hold an entire gallon. My last sedan did, and it was nice to never have to keep a half empty container in the trunk.

Here's a minor quibble that's bugged me for the last couple updates: the car randomly ignores Joe Mode. I just caught it in the act at a stoplight. Turn signal click was loud, I checked Joe Mode, switch showed it was active, I toggled it and it went quiet. Never stopped/started the turn signal. It just got quiet like it should for Joe Mode.

Minor bug, sign of shitty code.

Here's a bunch of minor to possibly-interesting features I'd like:
1. Connie mode - like Joe mode. My late wife Connie put me into the habit of parking the cars in the garage with the windows down. It turns out to be very convenient. I'd like the option to park at home and automatically have all the windows down.
2. Yellow mode - Maybe this doesn't make sense, but if FSD Beta is having issues and is about to disengage, I'd like it to try to warn me things are sketchy. Maybe flash yellow on the screen like FSD does blue when you're not holding the wheel.
3. I want my MYP seats to go 1 inch lower. (I'm tall and don't like looking out the top 2 inches of windscreen.)
4. I want the screen to come closer to me. I have to recline the seats a lot (because I'm tall and want to see), so the screen is a stretch.
5. I want the steering wheel to come back another inch or two. Same reason as above.
6. I want USB ports on the back side of the screen mount and/or dash areas. This to plug in stuff like radar detectors without having to run cables everywhere. (This seems a simple one. I would definitely be adding USB parts to the swivel screen mount accessory if I were making it.)
7. I wish the headrests could be adjusted backwards a bit.
8. I wish I didn't have to open the frunk to put windshield fluid in. Perhaps make it like a gas cap accessible from the outside.
9. I wish the steering on the MYP was a little slower, less twitchy.
10. I wish you could select between multiple drivers before getting in by simply pushing the door latch multiple times. Once, like normal, to get the primary drive. Press twice to get the secondary driver, and 3 times for tertiary driver. I'm 6'2", and I used to be married to someone 4'11", and you did not want to be in the driver's seat when it attempted to go to her settings.
11. More light shows.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Hmm... why is that?
I wondered too, until I started doing it. Turns out there are any number of times you want to toss something into your car when home in the garage. It also helps if unloading stuff from the back seat. It just is convenient.

I've thought how it might be different with an EV in terms of climate control, but I don't see any particular downside. Try it for a week, see if you become a convert.

It became kind of a ritual for me coming home. I'd drop the windows about the time I went through the gate. Sort of connect with the environment a bit.

3. I want my MYP seats to go 1 inch lower. (I'm tall and don't like looking out the top 2 inches of windscreen.)
4. I want the screen to come closer to me. I have to recline the seats a lot (because I'm tall and want to see), so the screen is a stretch.
5. I want the steering wheel to come back another inch or two. Same reason as above.
6. I want USB ports on the back side of the screen mount and/or dash areas. This to plug in stuff like radar detectors without having to run cables everywhere. (This seems a simple one. I would definitely be adding USB parts to the swivel screen mount accessory if I were making it.)
7. I wish the headrests could be adjusted backwards a bit.
8. I wish I didn't have to open the frunk to put windshield fluid in. Perhaps make it like a gas cap accessible from the outside.
9. I wish the steering on the MYP was a little slower, less twitchy.
10. I wish you could select between multiple drivers before getting in by simply pushing the door latch multiple times. Once, like normal, to get the primary drive. Press twice to get the secondary driver, and 3 times for tertiary driver. I'm 6'2", and I used to be married to someone 4'11", and you did not want to be in the driver's seat when it attempted to go to her settings.
I feel all your tall man problems and agree 100%.

Also, Tesla, I know you're working on it, but can we get rid of the rear view mirror and windshield camera block? It'd be great to have all that real estate to look out of.