Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thread for the most minor of suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a rock chip crack in my windshield about a year ago. It wasn't reparable. I didn't repair it because I knew it would just get more chips and I could live with the crack. The original crack spread. Today I got another chip which I'm sure will turn into another crack. I'll replace it soon.

My minor suggestion: Instead of me spending $1,500 every year or two for a new windshiled (plus re-tinting), why can't we just spend $3,500 or whatever for some of that Tesla Semi impact resistant glass for the windshield? Please, Tesla, take my money.

I got a rock chip crack in my windshield about a year ago. It wasn't reparable. I didn't repair it because I knew it would just get more chips and I could live with the crack. The original crack spread. Today I got another chip which I'm sure will turn into another crack. I'll replace it soon.

My minor suggestion: Instead of me spending $1,500 every year or two for a new windshiled (plus re-tinting), why can't we just spend $3,500 or whatever for some of that Tesla Semi impact resistant glass for the windshield? Please, Tesla, take my money.
Is it the good sort of glass that you can go through head first in a collision ?

Might be cheaper to simply add glass protection to your insurance (typically $30). I’ve never had a windshield replacement let alone annually but they have standards they can’t change just like all automotive makers.

Reactions: hey kupo
No but it would lesson your complaint about cost. Could also try not tailgating cars/trucks a bit. General driving doesn’t usually toss rocks forward into the windshield. That happens often by bad driver habits.
My complaint wasn't about cost otherwise I wouldn't be asking for something that costs over twice as much. General driving absolutely tosses rocks into a windshield, especially if the roads are crappy. I also don't tailgate. I've also never caused an accident or gotten so much as a speeding ticket in 30 years of driving so I doubt I have bad driving habits. Man, your negative, accusatory, assumption-filled post was 0 for 4. That's so sad.

My complaint wasn't about cost otherwise I wouldn't be asking for something that costs over twice as much. General driving absolutely tosses rocks into a windshield, especially if the roads are crappy. I also don't tailgate. I've also never caused an accident or gotten so much as a speeding ticket in 30 years of driving so I doubt I have bad driving habits. Man, your negative, accusatory, assumption-filled post was 0 for 4. That's so sad.
It was a suggestion. I personally have never seen rocks hit my windshield from my own car or road. Following other cars sure every time.

It was a suggestion. I personally have never seen rocks hit my windshield from my own car or road. Following other cars sure every time.
The last time I had a rock crack my windshield, I was in a tunnel about a quarter mile from the truck ahead that threw up the rock. I wouldn't call that "closely following"

(My 2021 M3P is on it's 3rd windshield. I would also be interested in more-crack resistant replacement glass options. Did you know that Gorilla Glass was/is in that business?)

Reactions: DblOSmith
Lots of rocks get thrown up by oncoming traffic and bounce across the center line/divider. Just sayin.

Reactions: DblOSmith